would you keep to this tradition?

tuck

Reaction score
Basically my daughter is being baptised in 2 weeks, it will be a greek orthodox baptism, it is causing me so much stress already!

Anyway, I was talking to my SIL today to make sure i have all the bits that are needed and she said that after the ceremony I must keep the special underwear on Matilda and not wash, bathe, swim etc Matilda for 3 days (yes 3 days) and on the the last day the godfather should come round, remove the underwear, bath her and put a new set on! well I was WTF, my family are all coming over from the UK, they are here for 2 weeks, not seen Matilda since last August so cant take Matilda down to the beach to see em cause she cant swim, cant get dirty or sweaty (bear in mind its been in the mid 30s for the last month) SO SORRY YOU CANT SEE HER FOR 3 DAYS!!!! I told my SIL - sorry but she will be going swimming as I want MY family to see her, so my SIL says 'take her at night to see them'!!!!!!!. (My SIL seeing Matilda is another story)
well my DH backed me up and said we wouldnt follow this tradition but i know that I will be talked about in the village, d'you think i'm wrong?????????

there is no way i would be doing that hun especially in that heat :hug:

wash, bathe, swim etc Matilda for 3 days (yes 3 days) and on the the last day the godfather should come round, remove the underwear, bath her and put a new set on!
sounds like a peadophile made that up!!! :puke:

If anybody asks just say she had an explosive nappy and you couldnt leave them on dirty 8) :lol:

well Kimbo certainly wont be welcome in Greek Orthodox homes then. :D

It all seems a bit extreme. Who is the god father. Would you let him bath your child any other time.

Kimbo said:
wash, bathe, swim etc Matilda for 3 days (yes 3 days) and on the the last day the godfather should come round, remove the underwear, bath her and put a new set on!
sounds like a peadophile made that up!!! :puke:

Gonna have to agree there ... :?

Afraid it certainly wouldn't be something i'd stick with.

jesus thats mental!!! its strange that the godfather has too bath them though
im with kimbo!!!!

Matilda is only having 1 godparent and he's male, hence I stated 'godfather', if he was married his wife would automatically be a godmother.

here's just a few 'guidelines' for the baptism:

It dosnt mention here about the underclothes but they traditionally would be 'burnt' afetr the 3 days to get rid of the devil, during the service a lock of hair will also be cut off.

Me or DH arent sposed to be near her or anything until she's been re-dressed after the service and I'm dreading it as I know she's gonna be near hysterical as she's really clingy at the moment.

Traditions:

Baptismal day is one of the most important days in the life of a Greek orthodox. Baptism and Chrismation are available to anyone at any age, including infants over 40 days. However, the Sacrament of Baptism usually occurs during the first year after the baby is born. In the Sacrament of Baptism, a person is incorporated into the crucified, resurrection and glorified Christ and is reborn to participate in the divine life. Each baptized person also shares in the royal priesthood of the people of God: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God..." (I Pet. 2:9). It is through baptism, therefore, that one becomes a fully participating member of the Church, and is made an heir of eternal life.

Guidelines for Parents:

Choose carefully a sponsor for your child who will be a good Christian example and take seriously the awesome responsibilities a sponsor assumes (if this is your first child, the Koumbaro/Koumbara from your wedding is usually choosen as the sponsor for the baptism - it is a given honor).
Both parents, if Orthodox Christians, must be members in good standing and current in their Fair Share Stewardship Pledge to the Church.
A name of Christian origin is to be given to the child at baptism.
The day, time and other arrangements must be made with the priest by calling the Church Office at least three weeks prior to the baptism.
Two people should be appointed to undress and dress the child. (usually a grandmother/Yiayia or both and the godmother/Nouna).
Two people should be appointed to carry the candles during the service.
To insure the proper dignity and solemnity of your child's baptism pictures should be limited as much as possible.
If the priest is to be a part of the reception, an invitation must be sent in advance as in the case of other guests.
Parents should check with their individual church for additional guidelines/requirements.
Guidelines for the Sponsor:

The sponsor (godfather/godmother, nouno/nouna) must:
be an Orthodox Christian;
be a member in good standing and current with the Share Stewardship Pledge to the Church;
if married, be married in the Orthodox Church by an Orthodox Priest;
if from another parish, present to the parish priest prior to the Baptism, a letter from his/her priest stating that he/she is in good standing with the Church along with the Archdiocesan number and that he/she is eligible to serve as a sponsor.
The sponsor should provide:
a complete change of clothes for the child;
a bottle of olive oil;
a gold cross for the child;
one bar of Ivory soap;
one hand towel.
two large bath towels;
one sheet;
three white candles, one of which is by tradition elaborately decorated (usually one large candle and two smaller candles).
The role of the sponsor was originally to give assurance to the Church for the faith of the one who was to be baptized; this is still the practice in the case of adult baptism or chrismation. In the case of infant baptism, the Sponsor stands and vouches for the child, who is unable to make the necessary confession of faith.
The Sponsor should be ready to recite the Nicene Creed either in English or Greek (can be read if needed).
For three consecutive Sundays after the Baptism, the sponsor should carry the infant to the Holy Altar to receive Holy Communion.
Please check with the church where the child is going to be baptized for any additional responsibilities and requirements/variations needed.
Reception of Converts

When a person who comes voluntarily from some other Christian confession requests to be received into the Orthodox Church, the priest, after the person completes catechism, will accept him/her in one of three ways, dependent upon the specific case, and as prescribed by canon 95 of the Penthekte Council:

Baptism in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by threefold immersion
Chrismation
Confession of Faith
Full Immersion

Parents and family are advised that baptisms include the full immersion of the baby in the Baptismal Font three times. Understandably, parents are concerned and should discuss these concerns with the priest as the full immersion is part of the sacrament and it is done in a quick manner to not jeapordize the child.

At the end of the ceremony, the parents kiss the godparent’s hands and receive the guest’s wishes:
“na sas zisei” (long life to your baby).

The ceremony is usually followed by a celebration at the family’s house or a restaurant.
Baptisms may not be conducted during Holy Week, on Major Feast days or from December 25 through January 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back