Worried about getting a transvaginal ultrasound

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by Shelby Smith, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Shelby Smith

Shelby Smith Member

I have a transvaginal ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. I'll be 8 weeks and 4 days at the time of the scan. I've read that they're safe, but I'm still worried about it causing me to lose my baby. I'm not worried about any pain or discomfort during the scan. Has anyone here ever experienced a mishap after a transvaginal scan?

2. rb101

rb101 Well-Known Member

The US wand is inserted into the vagina. Your baby is in your uterus and your cervix will be sealed off with a protective mucus plug. The two don't meet.
    Some women might experience very light bleeding after but that can be due to irritation but understandably may cause alarm. If you have any concerns speak to your sonographer when you go to the appointment.

3. Jezby

Jezby Well-Known Member

I’ve had over 20 of them (multiple IVF rounds) absolutely nothing to be worrying about or afraid of

excited for you ! We have our early
    Scan on Monday !

4. Sugarpop

Sugarpop Well-Known Member

Completely normal and won’t harm baby.

5. Shelby Smith

Shelby Smith Member

Thanks everyone! I ended up cancelling the transvaginal scan because hubby couldn't make it. We went to a place today and got an abdominal ultrasound and it was fantastic! We saw our little bean in there and the heart rate was 177 bpm :)
    We saw so much movement! It was a beautiful experience.
    8 weeks and 6 days today

Jezby likes this.