Work issues.....

mouse9210

Reaction score
Hi - I hope I'm in the right place...cuz I'm 26 + 1 that makes me in the 27th week right?? Sorry if I'm too eager to be over here....very excited to be on the final stretch!

I was wondering if you could help me out....

I work in a school and plan to work up to the end of the summer term (20th July) - and then have 6 weeks summer holiday before my baby is due end of the holidays. This means that I would get pad right up to my due daye which would def come in handy!! I haven't worked here long enough to get maternity pay, so will only get 39 weeks maternity allowance you see.

But, I am starting to struggle at work (I have to lug a laptop around and am on my feet and moving about all day) - the bigger I get, the hearder it is to get throught the day, and my back has started hurting.

I was wondering how common/acceptable it is to get signed of work for the last few weeks of term - means I wouldn't lose any pay......

Sorry to sound like such a moaner!!
Any adviev would be so gratefully received!!!

x

I'm not sure how it works in your area, but I assume that you dont intend to work when school returns in September? If so, you ought to check when you have to hand your notice in - where I am its a half terms notice, which is end of this week is it not?

I think if you are struggling its worth speaking to your MW or Dr about getting a fit for work certificate. Could they adapt your working so you dont have to lug the laptop around (do they have a secure place to store it at the school?) and to make sure you adequate rest breaks?
x

I'm not sure how it works in your area, but I assume that you dont intend to work when school returns in September? If so, you ought to check when you have to hand your notice in - where I am its a half terms notice, which is end of this week is it not?

I think if you are struggling its worth speaking to your MW or Dr about getting a fit for work certificate. Could they adapt your working so you dont have to lug the laptop around (do they have a secure place to store it at the school?) and to make sure you adequate rest breaks?
x

Thanks FirstBabyEek.

I have handed in my maternity notice to start from my EDD (29th Aug) but plan to return to work after my maternity leave next year.

I don't need to give half a terms notice because I plan to come back - I handed my maternity notice and MATB1 form in a couple of weeks ago which is all they need.

I have to carry my laptop around because it is a work one, used every lesson to do the register.

One of my friends got signed off work for the last 6 weeks before her maternity leave - she couldn't work due to pregnancy related stuff but was signed off sick and therefore didn't lose pay. That's what I am wondering about - whether it is normal to do that? I don't want to start my maternity leave any sooner than my EDD because I will get paid through the summer holidays and don't want to lose that money.

x

It's really just for pregnancy related illness that you get signed off rather than take early mat leave. For example, SPD, high blood pressure, etc. Can but try I suppose!

It's really just for pregnancy related illness that you get signed off rather than take early mat leave. For example, SPD, high blood pressure, etc. Can but try I suppose!

Thanks Leesey,

Well it would be pregnancy related if I have a bad back.

Hope I'm not coming across as 'trying it on' here - was just wondering if it is possible if I am struggling, that's all.

Thanks girls.

Hi mouse, sorry for jumping into tri 3 but thought you might find this link useful

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneyta...ort/expectingorbringingupchildren/dg_10018869

There's a part near the bottom about being signed off on pregnancy related illness and I think if you're off 4 weeks prior they can make your maternity allowance start then. So if you were signed off now you would be on sick leave until 4 weeks before then they could make your allowance start then, hth!

Hey... Its not as all straight forward as getting signed off work. I'm pretty sure if you are off work 4weeks before your due to start mat leave, your employer can request your mat leave starts... Unless you got a note from your doctor to say you are fit to work.
Also now from the doctors im sure it's 'fit to work notes' not as simple as signed off as such... If the doctor thinks your completely unfit to work then that's fine, but if they think there's only certain aspects of the job you should avoid that's what it would state!
Is there no way that you could speak to your line manger 1st? Tell them your concerns and try and come to a solution!
Defo look into your mat policy about the being off sick in the 4weeks before mat leave tho, I think that's standard practice!xx

Thanks for all the advice girls!

I will have a look at the website - cheers Sassysugar!

I am prob jumping the gun, as am fine to work at the moment, and have half term coming up too so that'll give me a break.

After half term I have 6 weeks of work before I am on summer hols, so it's not too long and I am prob being silly - but just worried about those last 6 weeks of work and how I will cope (of course there is always a chanec I will be fine!) :)

I def don't want to start maternity leave early or start maternity allowance early, so I think I will hope I am ok so I don't have to take any time off work - that would be ideal!

And if things become difficult I will def speak to my line manager and see what she says - I doubt there is much she could do as my job is to cover lessons when a teacher isn't there, and I need the laptop for delivering lessons - but it would be worth having a chat about it.

Thanks again girls - and again - hope I'm not coming across as being too negative - I should be thinking positive that all will be fine - durr!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back