Won't settle after last feed.

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sam is still very young - 10 days old today. However, he feeds really well and sleeps like an angel most of the time, EXCEPT the last feed before we go to bed. This is ususally around 11pm - he'll fall asleep on the boob but as soon as he is put in his basket he screams the house down. During the day he sleeps fine in the basket and settles well after his other feeds.

Any advice on why this last feed leaves him so unsettled?

Thanks!

Lisa

I went through the same thing and so did alot of others on here.

Some of the advice i was given was swaddling or putting an item of clothing that smells of you in his basket. Or roll up two towels and put them next to him so he feels secure.

I have no idea why its just the last feed but it will improve once he learns your not going anywhere. :D

IT WILL GET BETTER!

I had this problem at every feed in the first 6 weeks or so and I know from reading posts on here that a lot of other people have experienced it too- babies are programmed to cry when away from mother's boob in the early days- they just need to know that they will get thier next meal and that they are not going to be forgotten! Doesn't make it easy for mum though does it?

I think the ideas of swaddling, item of your clothing and towel bumpers are all great and worth trying. My LO was given a dummy by the MIL :evil: which did solve the problem of needing to suck to soothe but has its own problems (i.e. baby waking up if dummy falls out and crying for it to be put back in).

I have found that disassociating the feed from sleep has helped- try to change bum and talk to baby for a while before trying to put baby down to sleep. Watch for signs that your baby is getting tired again- rubbing eyes or giving a little wail or yawning and talk to them about going to sleep and gently put them into the moses basket. Stay with your baby gently patting or talking to them gently until :sleep: It has just about worked for me (sometimes after half an houror more- be warned!).

Good luck try to trust your own instincts xxx :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back