• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wont be spoon fed

Minime

Reaction score
My cheeky little beggar is steadfastly refusing to be spoonfed lately and wanting to feed himself all the time. If I do spoonfeed him (when he's not grabbing the spoon from me) he immediately spits it out into his hand, looks at it and puts it back in :?
He will eat weetabix if I put him on my knee and feed him that way but it doesnt work with the stage 2 jars. I'm a bit concerned he's not getting enough food/vitamins as when he feeds himself most ends up on the floor. I had him weighed today and he's 26lb 1 which is still just on the 98th percentile so he's not exactly starving.

I know babies like to try feeding themselves but isnt he a tad too young?

Ryan keeps grabbing the spoon off me so I use 2.. he's so busy with the first one but when I can see he's finished with it and just chewing it for the hell of it, I'll use the 2nd one and he gets all excited and drops the original one and either rams my hand so he can have it, or lets me feed him cos his mouth is wide open with excitement. Then I nab the first spoon off him before he remembers it, leave him chewing the 2nd spoon, and start all over again :D

Probably not much help to you but I didn't want to read and run. Give him a go with the spoon and if he's alright with his aim, let him have a play lol

Or i could be completely wrong! :D

:hug:

x

Yeah I'd say you have a spoon and let him have a spoon and see if he will let you do it while he has a go too!

:D

Already tried that, he wants them both :roll: As soon as you put anything in his mouth (usually something sloppy like a stage 2 jar) he spits it out but he'll eat ok if its finger food which I dont think is nutritional enough for him just yet.

Thats exactly what Aimee did. She has been feeding her self since she was about 10-11 months old. She would go mad if I went near her with a spoon and wanted to do it all her self. She used to make a right mess (still does). She was only skinny though and she managed not to loose any weight.
Nathan on the other hand just sits there with his mouth open waiting for me to shovel it it, he still won't even drink his own milk. Hes so lazy and greedy :D

Maybe you could try and show him how to dip finger food into a bowl of food. Isaac has always loved dipping breadsticks into houmous. You could maybe let him dip soft vegetable sticks into a jar of food spooned into a bowl. That way at least he is getting the nutrition you want him to have and he is having the finger food he wants :wink:

:)

luke exacty the same, i trick him by giving him finger food and when he goes to put it in his mouth i shovel a spoon full in too. he also will spit it out in his hand and then eat it himself. tonight was the easiest tea as i just gave him finger food i.e sandwiches, cucumber and cheeses sticks and pieces of pepper for afters was sticks of banana and peach and raisins so no spoon required.

I am so glad you posted this ... I was going to ask the same thing about Grace... if you put food into her mouth either with your fingers or a spoon she spits it out into her hand and then puts it back in herself... she is getting so independant........

a couple of nights ago I came home from work to find her covered head to toe in homemade meat balls and pasta....... Dh said that she didn't want to be fed with a spoon so he just let her eat it with her hands........ :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: the mess was unbelieveable ........ she seemed very pleased with herself though ...........

it is driving me made.... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Seems to be a normal phase! I give everything finger foods lately, I printed off a list someone posted on here about finger foods and take it shopping with me. He has fish fingers, fish cakes, rice cakes, toast (he loves honey & sunflower bread) mixed veg, baby new potatoes, sticks of cheese, cucumber, quiche, loads of different fruit, literally anything non sloppy. The only thing he'll eat by spoon is weetabix and banana IF I put him on my knee in the kitchen. If its baby food he wont touch it.
I dont mind him getting messy as he goes in the bath every night with his dad and if we go out then he can always feed himself toast or whatever we can find.

Know what you mean though Fiona especially if its something like yogurt and its spat back into their hands then plastered back on their faces :lol:

As I'm sat reading this Isaac is busy eating his cornflakes and milk with his fingers :roll:

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back