who to tell when i go on mat leave

annem

Reaction score
Hi i'm self employed and i have been told i am entitled to £112 per week mat pay but i do not know who to tell i'm preg and when!! any1 know x

I do - just did mine today! I'm self-employed too.

It's Maternity Allowance you get, not Statutory Maternity Pay.

There is a qualifying time period/amount earned which I didn't pay much attention to as I am way over it. You can find out on the jobcentre plus website. (Will try to copy and paste info from page.)

Not sure of your personal circumstances but standard cases...

£112.75 for 39 weeks
Get form MATB1 from midwife at 20 week check (not before)
Fill in form MA1 at 26 weeks (not before) Post with MATB1

Any questions just ask.

Ladybird x

Maternity Allowance

What is it?
Maternity Allowance (MA) may be available to help you take time off to have your baby if you are not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay from an employer. MA is also available if you are registered self-employed or have done some employed or self-employed work in the 15 months, before the week your baby is due.

You should claim as soon as you can after you have been pregnant for 26 weeks. If you delay, you may lose benefit. There are a number of conditions that you need to meet in order to claim maternity benefit.

If your Expected Week of Childbirth is on or before 31 March 2007, MA can be paid for up to 26 weeks.

If your Expected Week of Childbirth is on or after 1 April 2007, MA can be paid for up to 39 weeks.

The important date for working out how long MA can be paid for is the date your baby is due not when your baby is actually born.

What are the benefit rates?
Standard rate: £112.75 or 90% of your average gross weekly earnings if this is less than £112.75.

Maternity Allowance Threshold (MAT): £30.00.

What do I need to do next?
To make sure you do not miss out on any benefit due to you, you should contact us to find out if you need to fill in this form. If you download a form you should contact us to establish the date of your claim. For more information contact Jobcentre Plus.

More detailed information can be found in leaflet NI 17A - A Guide to Maternity Benefits available on the Department for Work and Pensions website.

Thats great, thanks for your help!! I'm a beauty therapist working from home.

one more silly question- do i only send the forms off when i want maternity allowance or just send them off at 26weeks? x

You're not allowed to fill in the MA1 form before 26 weeks - they won't even give you the form to fill in ready! (Put a note in your diary!)

I'm planning on stopping work at 29 weeks. Early, I know, but my job is tiring (Childminder) and my DD came 7 weeks early so I want to make the most of my mat' leave. Anyway, I put the proposed date in advance on the form, under instruction from the jobcentre plus.

The form comes with guidance notes and a dates table to hep you work it out.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask anything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back