Who started Weaning/Introducing Solids from 4 Months?

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
I have recently started introducing fruit & veg puree and porridge/baby cereal at 4.5mnths. I know there is much conflicting advise out there as to when to start weaning/introducing solids. I started on the advise of my HV, and from my own instinct/observations. Have had no problems at all, apart from one day when she refused. Infact she really enjoys her food, and grabs the spoon off me to feed herself.
Just wondering who else started at 4mnths, and your experience so far? xx

I started with Cam.

So far he's had baby rice, porridge, banana, carrot, sweet potatoe and broccoli. He's loving it so far!

Refused 2 meals yesterday as his teeth were bad but still takes all his milk. By meals i mean an ice cube size veg/ fruit puree.

HV said its not necessarily bad to start a 4 ish months as then you can take it really slowly.

XX

I started introducing tastes at 17 weeks. But it really was a tiny amount. He's 24 weeks now and doing well, I wouldn't say we are fully weaning yet as he still has all his milk xxx

I also started at 4 months with fruit/veg etc, he really enjoyed it but now seems bored of purées and loves toast etc which he obviously doesn't eat much of! If I could do it again I would have waited until 6 months and done BLW as he's so used to being full after eating, but spits purée out! I agree with Emily though, weaning at 4 months can be a good thing for babies x

Once W is 6 months we are going to do a mix or TW and BLW it's never to late to start BLW xxx

Last night i gave Cam broccoli to hold and play with and I've doe the same with banana. I'm obviousky not expecting him to feed himself but he does put it to his mouth (as he does with everything!lol) and has good fun squishing it about and playing with it.

XX

Once W is 6 months we are going to do a mix or TW and BLW it's never to late to start BLW xxx

If they're used to purées they tend to just swallow the food without thinking though, that's what's happened with my LO so if he's eating toast he swallows it straight down and I have to fish it out! I hope It will get better in time though, I can't wait to ditch the purées! X

Oh I see what you mean!xx

Don't worry though it might just be Harry that struggles with the idea of moving food around in his mouth, I really hope he gets the idea soon though as my nerves can't handle all the gagging! X

I gave him brocolli and carrots, strawberrys and banana that he gums. He seems to be ok so far. I'm dreading the gagging xxx

That's a really good sign that he's gumming them, Harry jus shovels things in! X

Hungry boy!!!! William was having banana today, and rather than pick it up he was bending his face down to his tray and sucking it! Strange xxx

Haha go William! They're little brains work in amazing ways don't they! X

B started "stealing" food off our plates from about 4.5 months and now eats everything! He's had toast, crumpets, beef stew, turkey roast and hardly ever gags. We have been giving him lumpy purées as well to supplement but we've just gone with his pace and followed his lead and he loves food!

B started "stealing" food off our plates from about 4.5 months and now eats everything! He's had toast, crumpets, beef stew, turkey roast and hardly ever gags. We have been giving him lumpy purées as well to supplement but we've just gone with his pace and followed his lead and he loves food!

Hi how are you doing this? During a typical meal do you offer lumpy purées first or solids? We're still battling gagging and B sounds to be doing brilliantly! X

He hated formula so we were lucky he loved food! Basically I work it on he's in charge of solids and I'm in charge of purées!
So if he gets upset or frustrated from his finger foods then I start offering food on a spoon - sometimes he will take the spoon from me and feed himself if I load it with food first.

Typical day is -

Breakfast - toast and jam/butter and I have weetabix to feed him and a fruit pot.
Lunch - crumpet with Philly on it and soup or a veg purée and yogurt.
Dinner - cheese omelette - I fed this in the spoon as well. And rice pudding for pud.

He also has fruit sticks throughout the day, mango, watermelon etc.

We were out for lunch today so I offered milk first then let him have some of my chicken burger - he had a good old chew on the bun before he lobbed it at the people behind us!
It's taken a while to get to this stage and I let B get as messy as he wants!

He hated formula so we were lucky he loved food! Basically I work it on he's in charge of solids and I'm in charge of purées!
So if he gets upset or frustrated from his finger foods then I start offering food on a spoon - sometimes he will take the spoon from me and feed himself if I load it with food first.

Typical day is -

Breakfast - toast and jam/butter and I have weetabix to feed him and a fruit pot.
Lunch - crumpet with Philly on it and soup or a veg purée and yogurt.
Dinner - cheese omelette - I fed this in the spoon as well. And rice pudding for pud.

He also has fruit sticks throughout the day, mango, watermelon etc.

We were out for lunch today so I offered milk first then let him have some of my chicken burger - he had a good old chew on the bun before he lobbed it at the people behind us!
It's taken a while to get to this stage and I let B get as messy as he wants!

Wow that's great thanks! I think I've wound myself up trying to offer finger foods first followed by purée in the hope that he doesn't confuse chewing and swallowing, but a baby quickly learns that things like yogurt can be swallowed straight down, as opposed to things that require gumming/chewing! I need to be more patient I think!! X

Wow that's great thanks! I think I've wound myself up trying to offer finger foods first followed by purée in the hope that he doesn't confuse chewing and swallowing, but a baby quickly learns that things like yogurt can be swallowed straight down, as opposed to things that require gumming/chewing! I need to be more patient I think!! X

Sounds like you're doing fine, hun. Just keep trying him with the finger foods and he will learn very quickly what to do with the different things he's given. The gagging will still happen for a good while, but will get much less. Tilly occasionally rams her mouth so full of food that she still gags, but she's come a LONG way in just a month. xxx

Sounds like you're doing fine, hun. Just keep trying him with the finger foods and he will learn very quickly what to do with the different things he's given. The gagging will still happen for a good while, but will get much less. Tilly occasionally rams her mouth so full of food that she still gags, but she's come a LONG way in just a month. xxx

Thanks Karen! I keep having to remind myself that he was only 6 months last week and I can expect him to chew and swallow everything I give him! He's enjoying mushing and sucking it which is a good start! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back