Where to start...

Beeble

Reaction score
Hey,

I am on my first pregnancy, and I am only 5 weeks in.

I dont want to go overboard at this stage, we are keeping it quiet till we hit the 3 month mark.

I would like to know where to start though, it is so overwhelming! Do we look at things we need to buy, and if so what first? Do we look at the nursery? Finances? My maternity leave stuff? What we are entitled to?

I dont really know what I am doing.

Where would you advise starting?

Thanks

I'd say finances first so you know your budget for buying stuff and how much time you can afford to take off work. Mothercare catalogues have a checklist of all the things you need, it helped me loads. With work, you don't have to do anything until you get your mat b1 form off your midwife at around 20 weeks I think. Try not to worry, you have loads of time to sort everything out xxx

wss

Work out your finances so you know your budget for buying stuff and go from there

Once yOu have decided what you need just keep looking and bidding on eBay. I bought everything new for my eldest and most of it you only use fit such a short time you can get it second hand. I buy everything off eBay now

I agree it is very overwhelming! I remember going into tesco when I first got pregnant and standing down the baby aisle thinking "what is all this crap?" Like the other girls have said sort your finances out first. I waited till my 12 week scan to check all was well then started to make a list of what I needed. Then each week I would buy a few things, that way it was much less overwhelming getting things gradually. You'll probably find you get given/lent a lot of things also. Also check the forum for great advice :) Good luck x x

hehe that is exactly what I did yesterday...was faced with an entire aisle of baby stuff, all the different foods and nappies and I was like OH MY GOODNESS!!! I don't know the difference between any of it! oh dear. x

All of the above. And also check out websites like Preloved and Gumtree and google NCT nearly new sales as they are fab for equipment and clothing. I would buy very little stuff new now I've had a baby and know how little they use/wear a lot of stuff! I also felt very overwhelmed by it all and found it helped to split it up, e.g. I'd have a fortnight that I'd spend researching and deciding on bedding, then another fortnight where I researched and chose a travel system. Breaking it up into chunks like this made it all seem less scary!!

I spent ages researching different areas, the biggest bits to decide on is the pram and the nursery furniture so I looked at those first! You need to decide a budget for these bits and then go to mothercare or somewere like that and have a good old look around and decide what is important to you!! We went a bit crazy but I am happy that we did as we have everything and can keep it for further children but if your buying on a budget then you dont need that much stuff - mothercare have a list on their catalogue so that is a good guide!!
xxx

I agree that finances are the first thing you need to sort out, this way you way have a realistic idea of what you can afford.
I used Mothercare too, but I would go to the shop to see the items ie crib (I'm not one that can internet shop without physically seeing what I am buying LOL). Once you have seen things that you like shop around on the internet for better deals. Kiddicare have some great deals.
Also, join as many baby clubs on the internet as poss as they will often send you money off vouchers etc.
I joined everything from Boots, Tesco, Cow and Gate, Aptamil, Sainsbury's - basically any store that sells baby stuff has a club - also you get some free stuff YAY!
Good Luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back