When to start shopping?

BabyBrain

Reaction score
We aren't in the best situation housing wise, we live with my boyfriend's dad and therefore will have to move out before sapling arrives as there's not much room.
Am certainly not going to start before my dating scan but when did everyone else start stockpiling?
The shopping machine that is my dear mum is primed and ready for action, my best friend and sister in law are also in the starting blocks lol. Unfortunately the youngest kid we know is 4 now so there's not many hand-me-downs to be had except I have secured a travel system from my best friend but apart from that everything's going to have to be bought and stored somewhere. We live in a really expensive part of the country and so there's not going to be much money left from our wages after rent and bills when we do move.
I know there's always the thing about jinxing a pregnancy by buying stuff too early but I'm in a bit of a pickle with this....any advice will be greatly appreciated xxxxxxxxxxx

i wouldnt worry stuff i'd still got loads of stuff from my mc in 2009 and all we've got to buy now is the big things , you'd be surprised at how much people give you, my mom and dad bought a travel cot for us and my hubby's auntie gave us a pram and rocking chair (wanted one for ages in baby's room) and i'm only 13 weeks just buy a couple of things each week and you'd be surprised at how much you've actually got! good luck anyway

I've been buying a little each week this way you don't notice the overall expense. Ive got quite a bit sorted now and I know what cotbed pram etc I want xx

I've started early!! More because I got offered a load of bargain mamas and papas nursery furniture off a friend and the opportunity was too good to refuse, so picked it up today and it's being stored at mum's until I sort the nursery out. I asked advice of people on here and they quite sensibly said that if the worst happened I could always keep it til the next bubba or ebay it or something. I don't think I will actually go out and by an outfit though until at least the 12 week scan, if not the 20 week. I agree I think you need to start as the opportunities arise, e.g. if Asda are having a baby week it would be madness not to get some bargains and then wait and pay lots more for them.

WE have been buying stuff as we see it on offer in the shops week by week. Also think about discount warehouses and car boot sales if your a bit strapped for cash.
xxx

I've not bought anything yet, I'm hanging fire until after the danger zone. It's a kind of self protecting thing I guess.

I said I wouldnt buy anything until much later in the pregnancy, definitely after the dating scan, but we were thinking maybe around 20 weeks. But that kind of went out the window! my mum started telling her friends (i wasn't annoyed, i found it really sweet that she was so excited! i know some people would be though) and one of her friends bought me a load of baby grows, and another has already knitted a little cardigan with duckie buttons!!! haha, then my sister came in one evening with a highchair that she had got off of her boyfriends cousin because she was thinking about selling it, but very kindly gave it to us! a brand new mothercare one, never used. i had no idea my sister had been telling people either!! haha

but we were still set on not buying anything until at least after the scan, then at 11 weeks i heard the babys heartbeat very clearly on the doppler, making us relax a little. then while on holiday, i couldnt resist some handmade slippers. I have a pair and bought matching for the baby!! hehe, and my OH bought a little toy lamb he couldnt resist, so... yeah. I think, if the worst was to happen, it would be awful, and im not sure having things already would make much difference to that. we will have children one day, one way or another, so this stuff will get used.

its lovely as well that people want to help, and im thinking of it now, if we (and others) start early, and buy bits and pieces often, the financial hit wont be as big (we aren't in the best position either!)

x x x

Hi hun, im not buyimg due to having a mc in may, but do what ever u feel is right. I am waiting till at least after my 12 week scan if not my 20, only as i want to buy all blue or pink :) xx

Hi hun, im not buyimg due to having a mc in may, but do what ever u feel is right. I am waiting till at least after my 12 week scan if not my 20, only as i want to buy all blue or pink :) xx

Ha yeah I can't wait to find out what colour to buy, altho as my mum has just very kindly pointed out on the phone twins runs in the family so I could be buying both :shock: way to go mum xxxxxxxxx

I dont think i will buy i thing till after my 20 week scan, although my mum and OH's mum will prob start buying stuff after my 12 week one, they are dying to spend. i dont mind as long as they dont give me anything or bring me anything till after 20 week, prob a bit silly but i've had 2 MC.

xxx

I found a Mamas and Papas factory outlet near where I'm working at the moment so I'm going to check that out.

I also managed to buy a Philips steriliser from a Boots clearance place I randomly found in East London - I bought it for £25 thinking that it was an ok price (although I didn't really have a clue what I was actually getting for my money!), when I looked online Philips are retailing the exact one for almost £80! The only annoying thing is I didn't get Boots points and cant return it if i change my mind (which I can live with).... might be worth seeing if there are any places like that near you?

This Boots also did prams (although a limited range), nappy disposal thingys and babay intercoms.

Ooooo thanks Dee i'll have a look. On kiddiecare they do a nappy delivery service, 250 nappies for 20 quid delivered to your door which would be so handy for us as we haven't got the room to stockpile them and besides its not easy to guess the size. I'm going to start with baby wipes and lotions and things first I think, I'll let everyone else sort out the big things for Christmas.
Thanks for all the advice, its so appreciated xxxxxxxxxx

Thats a good tip too - I havent really investigated Kiddicare... but i will now

Thank you xxx

google just4bums and it should come up xxxxxx

NCT sales, gum tree and ebay you can get stuff cheep :) i was lucky my next door neighbour gave me loads of stuff i started buying after 20 weeks what you could do is put maybe £10 a week aside for when you do start buying so that you have the money set aside already xx

oooo another good idea and I am sure I could muster the energy for a big shopping spree lol xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back