• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When can you stop formula?

Hypnorm

Reaction score
Wondering when i can stop giving formula and go on to cows milk.

MIL says it won't hurt just giving cows milk.

Ewan is coming up to 9 months and is eating solids well

Formula is so expensive!

they say when they are 1.
dio hates milk so i stopped giving her formula at 10months

Everything I have read says one. You can use ordinary milk in cooking when they are 6 months but they should continue getting formula til they turn 1. If you want to give it sooner I would seek advice from your HV.

"We advise not starting babies on cow's milk until they are at least a year old. Normally, babies are born with enough iron in their body for the first few months of life. However, when the baby reaches three to four months of age, extra iron is needed. The extra iron should come from the child's diet. Whole cow's milk is considered to be a very poor source of iron. In addition, the protein in cow's milk isn't easy for babies to digest and infant formulas contain modified cow's milk protein that a baby can more easily digest. By one year, an infant's digestive track has matured enough to be able to handle the protein content of cow milk, which prohibits its use prior to that. As a child approaches one year of age, you can switch to whole cow's milk. Remember, you should switch to whole milk because skimmed or semi-skimmed milk aren't recommended for children less than two years old. However, cow’s milk can be used in cooking from 6 months old." from http://www.babyworld.co.uk/faq/individu ... uestion=42

"Cow's-milk-based formulas have been processed so that babies can digest the protein in the milk more easily. Plain cow's milk can irritate the intestinal wall, resulting in some cases in microscopic bleeding -- you won't see blood in your baby's stool, but it's there, and your baby will become anemic as the bleeding increases. Also, it's hard for a baby to absorb iron from cow's milk, even if extra iron is added. (Breast milk actually has less iron than formula does -- but a baby will absorb more iron from breast milk than from formula. The amount of iron doesn't matter nearly as much as how well the iron is absorbed.) Generally, babies' intestines aren't ready for cow's milk until they are about 1 year old. " from http://www.drreddy.com/feedbaby.html

hope these help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back