What to do?

lisa282

Reaction score
Hope somebody can help me with this one, just cos I dont know what to do! E's teeth are already poking out of her gums at just 6 weeks old, and the poor angel just wants something to chew on all the time. Up until now that has been my nippes :roll: as I am breastfeeding her. But now it is getting to the point where she is hurting me cos she is not suckling but chomping down on me...OUCH!! She still feeds well, but once she is finished with the milk, she will remain on my boob and bite down with her gums. I have tried giving her teething rings etc, but obviously she is too small to hold them herself so just drops them, I dont mind her biting on my fingers but I cant always have my fingers available to chew :lol:

My MIL sneekily gave her a dummy over the weekend, when I had nipped out for a dentist appointment, and I absolutely hate them!! I was really angry with her, my son never had a dummy and I personally hate to see kids with them, so would never have dreamt of giving one to E either :talkhand: However, now she is permanently attached to the damn thing, cos it gives her something to suck and chew at the same time, and tbh she seems much happier cos she has got this relief for her gums. BUT back to the point, and I really dont want her to have a dummy, so would it be really cruel if I took it away from her? What do I do? Should I let her keep the dummy as a bit of relief and something to bite on, or should I take it away now before she gets too attached to it and be the evil cruel mother? HELP!!!

Oh, and has anyone got any ideas of what I can do for her or give her for the discomfort? Obviously because she is so young, most over the counter meds are unsuitable, and as I said before, she cannot control what goes in her mouth yet so teethers are useless too :think:

Last edited:
personally I'd give her the dummy....from what you've said it seems to me that she's only using it to bite on for relief.

If you are so against them why not try the tommee tippee teething dummies which are shaped like a half moon and fit inbetween the gums...she won't be able to suck on it but she will be able to bite it

I have the Tommee Tippee dummies for Oscar they are meant to be better for teeth growth. I had originally said that I didn't want to use them but he is a very sucky baby and sometimes it is the only way to get him to sleep. Besides which he cannot be permanently attached to my little finger (which he likes to suck).

I would be tempted to let her have a dummy and would put it in the fridge as the cold might help with the discomfort. I'm sure she'll drop it when she stops teething or you can wean her off it then :D

I believe babies don't have much memory before 5 mths so let her have it for now and wean her off before 5 mths and she'll never remember shes had it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back