What questions to ask?

Miracle babe

Reaction score
Hi there I'm not here yet am expecting in September but I have had to arrange childcare for when I go back to work in March 07. I'm a school teacher and hope to go back 3 days a week. Both sets of parents have offered to help out with a day each and for the third day I have had a lady recommended to me by two other members of staff who speak very highly of her. I have an appointment to see this lady on Tuesday afternoon and know I need to be asking lots of questions but have no idea where to start. Can you please hep me to compile a list of questions that I should be asking this lady. I'm really nervous about leaving my child with anyone and want to make sure I've covered every option.
Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Stace

Sorry you didn't get any replies. Perhaps you could try posting it in the ask a mum section? Maybe more people will see it there. Sorry I can't advise as I have never used a child minder but I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Ask about nappy changes eg is it every hour or so or every time they need it. If she does a poo at 5 past will she have to sit in it for a hour?

What kind of activities do they do? Are they allowed outside?
If strangers come it, are they allowed to look round the room where you child is? Do visitors have to sign in and out?

Is food cooked on site?
If they don't eat at dinner time is food offered to them later?
Do they label your bottles etc?
HOw do they handle allergies (useful to get a feel of stuff like this even if your child doesn't have them.

What happens if you are running late to collect your child?
What happens if you want someone else to pick up your child?

How are sleep times handled?

The ratio for her age should be 3:1, when you had a look round was this the case? I once looked round a nursery as a mystery shopper and they took Brody on top of the ratio, so it was 4:1

How many qualified staff are there in a ratio to qualified staff? Are unqualified staff left alone with the kids? The answer to that last question shoud be a definite NO WAY, NEVER (that's ofsted regulations)

Speaking of ofsted, there should be a report somewhere on the wall you can look at. Ask when the last inspection was, what was the result, were there any areas mentioned where care could be improved?

How often do they have a fire drill? Are the instructions for a fire drill on display?

What is staff turnover like? How are new staff introduced to a child? Will you child have a key worker? What kind of role will the key worker take?

What kind of feedback do you get as a parent? Are there parent days when you can visit? Do you get any kind of written review of your child and how they are getting on?

Thanks folks.
I ended up pretty much asking all those questions and more. Thankfully I seem to have found Mary Poppins, she's childminded kids of people I work with and they all love her. She's even become godmother to a few of them plus she's had glowing reports from the OFSTED so feeling fairly positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back