• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What happens & When

EllieBelle

Reaction score
Hello to you all.

To cut a long story short, Im currently living in France but will now be coming back to the UK within the next few months so that my DH can do some contract work - this is all because our house in the UK has still not sold, we are both British!!

This is my 1st child, so had no experience of the French or English healthcare system where pregnancy is concerned, and just learnt all about the French system and now it seems I will be in the UK for the birth.

Here in France I think things are a little different, I had my initial blood test carried out at only 5 weeks, and continue to have monthly blood tests as like many women I dont have antibodies to toxiplasmosis (they are very very thorough here), I also have to see my GP every month for weight checks etc, my first scan is booked for when Im 13 weeks.

Im trying to assess the best time to return to the UK with regards to my pregnancy, as obviously want to ensure I go through the proper procedures, mid wife apps, scans, anti natal classes etc.... DH would prefer to go back end of Sept, but I would be nearly 5 months then, and think its too late to get everything sorted in time, if necessary I will come back to the UK before DH!

Can anyone please advice on what normally happens (I keep reading about checking in appointments, and people visiting different maternity units etc).

Im actually quite pleased we are returning for a few months, but also quite worried as wont have a clue what to do regarding my pregnancy when I get home.

Thank you so much :hug:

you would have a scan at 12 weeks and the blood tests at 15/16 weeks for spina bifida and downs and then an anomily scan at 20 weeks

I moved whlst pregnant so had to register with my current hospital at 19 weeks and there was no problem doing that. I only moved within the UK but I still only registered for my current care at 19 weeks- I had my anomally scan (20 weeks ish) with them and haven't had any problems being a late booker.

Alex xxx

it does vary from trust to trust and possibly from GP surgery to GP surgery. You may also want to consider your anti natal classes. In areas with a big demand the NCT (private) classes book up early (we had to do our at 14 weeks and that was leaving it a bit late), our NHS ones we had to book after our 20 week scan.

I had bloods taken at 12 and 26 weeks to check things like blood group, immunity and iron levels.

in this area we can get a private scan to check for downs rather than the bloods at 16 weeks, but that is not offered in the majority of trusts due to a lackof trained staff. Also we had to pay for that.

and then free scans at 12 and 20 weeks approximatly.

do you know what area of the UK you would be in?

Sandi

It seems to vary depending on where in the UK you are too. In most parts of Scotland you only get a scan at 12 weeks, although in England you seem to get two at 12 and 20 weeks.

All the best for the move hun,

Sarah x

Sandi4Paul said:
do you know what area of the UK you would be in?

Sandi

Yes moving back to Gloucestershire (right on the Herefordshire Border)! We are lucky in a way that we still have a house there.......but also sad to be leaving France for a while, its so beautiful and laid back here!

Thanks so much for all the advice! Im going to aim to return in the next 6-8 weeks I think - will probably have me 1st scan at 13 weeks here, and if all ok then aim to return soon after that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back