Flying with a baby.

nickilubs

Reaction score
:wave: Hello this is something that has had me wondering since I got pregnant

My OH is from Ireland and as we live about 300 mile away from the Hollyhead to Dublin Port a boat is going to be a no for a while now. How easy is it to take a baby on a plane also what do you do in regards to the pushchair or pram. When Pip is here we will hopefully go and visit my OH familly lots because we want them to watch their grand child grow up too. So its all these little things that have got me worrying the flight is only a short one but what do you do with a baby on a plane do I have her sat with me or a chair do I have to book her a seat? Does she need any ID? haha I know I probably sound so stupid but I want to know what I'm going to be at!!

i'm not the best expert here, but know that you should feed the baby on the departure and landing so that they swallow and their ears pop.

The needing to get a seat dpends on the ailine, age of child and length of flight.

Sandi

I would check the airline's ID requirements. If they need government ID then baby will probably need a passport.

Oh and edited to add: you can usually take a pram over and above baggage limits.

I flew to Tunisia when my dillon was 5 months, he needed a passport but I dont think you need one to go Ireland do you? (I have never been lol)
Under 2's can just sit on your knee! If you want to book a seat you can but they have to be in a carseat if I remember right??
The airline staff will take the pram from you at the gate and put it on the plane! It is usually free to take a pram!

:wave:

Under 2's can sit on your lap on plane journeys no matter how long or short of flight it is.
If you want to take a car seat for baby to sit in for flight you will have to pay for a seat for them on the flight.

If it is Easyjet/Ryanair I think you have to pay extra to take a pushchair - but that is a big think - I'm not 100% sure.... with BA, etc I know you get to take it as free luggage.
You will get to take the buggy right to the door of the plane and hand it over to the airline staff to put in the hold (you will get on the plane first as you are travelling with a young child too!)
Sometimes you will get the buugy as you come off the flight, others you will have to collect it from the baggage carosel, all depends on the airline staff unfort :roll:

Also with the cheaper airlines, check if you are allowed a suitcase for the baby... I know BA give you a case for the little one, plus your own baggage allowance.

Hope this helps, anything else PM me

lea m said:
I flew to Tunisia when my dillon was 5 months, he needed a passport but I dont think you need one to go Ireland do you? (I have never been lol)
Under 2's can just sit on your knee! If you want to book a seat you can but they have to be in a carseat if I remember right??
The airline staff will take the pram from you at the gate and put it on the plane! It is usually free to take a pram!

was just going to say that when my sister came on holiday with us to tunisa at 5 months she had her own passport too

Ive just booked for Jersey which is domestic flight as Ireland will be. Most will accept a pushchair free and you can wakl right up to the steps with it. With thompson we have been told we dont need a passport for Lily as it is a domestic flight. She doesnt get baggage allowence although some airlines will give you normally 5kg infant allowence.

If you want to use a car seat they will charge you adult fair for the seat and all the airlines I looked at wont accept babies in carseats unless they are 6months+

Like said they say to feed bubs on take off and landing as it eases ear popping.

As its such a short flight Im sure bubs wont even realise whats going on :lol:

LilysMummy said:
Ive just booked for Jersey which is domestic flight as Ireland will be.

Oh my goodness!! :shock: I am shocked. Do some British people still think Ireland is part of Britain? :rotfl:

To travel between the Republic of Ireland and UK, you need some form of ID; most people use their passport of driving license.

With British Airways you get a baggage allowance for the baby - you may want to use it for a car seat if you are planning to drive in Ireland? You can also book a seat upfront, but for them to guarantee it you'll have to pay extra. You will also then have to pay a child's fair instead of infant. We like this option as we can then have the full row for us.

When landing I would only recommend to start feeding when you can feel the pressure in your own ears as otherwise the baby may be full too early (and when it hurts their ears the most)...

Ani said:
LilysMummy said:
Ive just booked for Jersey which is domestic flight as Ireland will be.

Oh my goodness!! :shock: I am shocked. Do some British people still think Ireland is part of Britain? :rotfl:

To travel between the Republic of Ireland and UK, you need some form of ID; most people use their passport of driving license.

Domestic/Channel Islands/Irish Republic journeys
For domestic/Channel Islands journeys passengers must present one of the following forms of valid photographic ID:

Passport
National ID card
Citizen card
Photographic driving license
Student Card
Forces ID Card
Airport/Airline Employees Security ID Pass
Police Warrant Card/Badge
Photographic Bus Pass

You need ID for any flight you take.

Remember you can't take on any liquids in your hand luggage though. I saw a man at the airport having to drink his babies milk to prove its harmless, gross :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back