• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what do you think of Alexandra

keelybeck

Reaction score
what do you think of the name Alexandra? My husband loves it but I'm not so sure

Hubby wants a nice 'posh-ish' name that looks good on applications or CV's should they want to become a lawyer or something but can be shortened for school to be more 'cool' ie Lexie.
I love Lexie and Alexandra is growing on me as is not over common these days but not 100% convinced .... as my faves tend to be slightly more popular and of the day choices.

Other choices we are compromising on are Lucy, Erin, Sophie, Amelia ( although our cat is called Amy so not sure if too similar) Emily ( is this a bit too popular??) and Madeleine (although not sure of the Madeleine Mcann resemblence)

I really like it. I would shorten it to Alex though, I quite like that on a girl :D

Alexandra is lovely. It can be shortened to a few things but also if your LO prefers, she can be called by her full name :) I'd go with it for over Lexie and let her choose what she would like to use as she gets older :) Lexie, Alex, Alexandra....

FWIW, todays 'popular' choices of today have the possibility to end up the Traceys, Sharons, Kevin and Waynes of tomorrow :roll: No offence intended to any Tracey's, Waynes, Sharons or Kevins out there. I am not really up on what is popular in the past decade tbh, but we know what happened to those names about 15 years after their popularity waned.

We didn't go for any names in the top 50 lists. The boys one we have picked out doesn't even rate in a top 1000 :lol: Don't get me wrong, I love some of the popular names being used today, but none of them appealed to us enough to want to use for our LO was all. Can't help what you like can you :)

Popular names have a habit of becoming overused so that (in more recent times) they lose the appeal in later years and drop off the radar as something else comes in. Each generation has its overused names for sure. Going for something that while used is not overly so never hurt IMHO.

many thanks for your reply and your opinion ... it really is true what you say about names of today becoming the stereotypical names of the past eventually!

Its just that i dont have a particularly common name - Keely - and have spent all my grown years having to repeat it to people and spelling it out (and it always gets spelt wrong) that I suppose I am trying to play it safe as I don't want that for my LO - don't think that will happen with Alexandra though !!

Alexandra is a nice name, very sophisticated sounding, and girly :D

I love the name Alexandra, and shortening it to Lexie is so cute!!

We did the same thing with Libby, her official name is Elizabeth, but we use Libby for short :D

I think Alexandra's a lovely name - it's our LO's middle name :D Lucy and Sophie are nice too. My OH liked Madeleine too but glad we didn't choose it as it does just remind me of Madeleine McCann now.

keelybeck said:
what do you think of the name Alexandra? My husband loves it but I'm not so sure

Hubby wants a nice 'posh-ish' name that looks good on applications or CV's should they want to become a lawyer or something but can be shortened for school to be more 'cool' ie Lexie.
I love Lexie and Alexandra is growing on me as is not over common these days but not 100% convinced .... as my faves tend to be slightly more popular and of the day choices.

Other choices we are compromising on are Lucy, Erin, Sophie, Amelia ( although our cat is called Amy so not sure if too similar) Emily ( is this a bit too popular??) and Madeleine (although not sure of the Madeleine Mcann resemblence)

I don't dislike the name Alexandra but I prefer Erin, Emily and Madeline :D

I love Sophie and Amelia, they are among my fave girls names :D

Alexandra is ok too, she'll be able to pick what she wants to shorted it to when she's older as there are lots of options for a short name

I love the name Alexandra, and I've always wanted to call a kid of mine Alex (not bothered whether boy or girl). But it's already in the family via a cousin and it just wouldn't work.
So go for it!
I love all the different possibilities for shortening it too. Lexie is cute!

I love Alexandra
My nephew is the male version Alexander i thinks it a lovely names for both sexes.
:hug: :hug: :hug:
I like Emily and Lucy too and my Grandmar and Auntie are called Elizebeth :)
I like Bethany
Some of the other names reamind me of children i used to look after and have put me off the names

I like the names themselves, but to asscoiation to the child who was a pain in the backside :roll: makes them a no no for me :lol:

i love the name, we already have an alex in the family, so i cant use it, such a shame, we do like it though!

I really like all of your names, I think you have similar taste to myself. I do like Alexandra, I think it will stand her in good stead for whatever she would like to do in the future, but can be shortened to something cute when she is a child.

Love it :D

Alexandra for a girl and Alexander for a boy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back