What do you all think to this

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Mothers who carry their babies facing forwards are cruel, according to a leading child health expert.

Catherine Fowler, a professor of child and family health nursing at Sydney's University of Technology, claims babies are frightened if they are carried in a sling or pushed in a buggy looking away from their parents.

'Imagine if you were strapped to someone's chest with your legs and arms flailing, heading with no control into a busy shopping centre – it would be terrifying,' said Professor Fowler.

'Outward-facing baby carriers and prams give babies a bombardment of stimulus, creating a very stressful situation.

'In not considering our baby's perspective, we are inadvertently quite cruel to children'

Her comments are supported by a 2008 study which found that babies suffer if they cannot see their parents while in a buggy. In the research by the University of Dundee, academics found that baby buggies which face forwards may stunt children's development and turn them into anxious adults.

Children found it difficult to get their parents' attention and were spoken to rarely.

Infants suffer more stress and sometimes even 'trauma', the study said.

In contrast, children in traditional parent-facing buggies were more likely to laugh, listen to their mothers talking and to sleep – indicating lower stress levels.

While babies can be positioned to face inwards – the same as holding in your arms – they are often carried facing forwards, particularly once they can support their own heads.

However, her comments have stirred up controversy, with other experts insisting babies actually get bored if they face their mother all the time.

They point out that while Professor Fowler's principle might apply to newborns, it is not so true for babies over three months old, and many buggies and baby slings are designed to face inwards for newborns and outwards for older children.

Midwife Robin Barker, the author Baby Love, said that as long as babies are loved and fed, the direction they face when in a pushchair is irrelevant.

'Parents have enough to worry and feel guilty about without considering which way they push their child in a stroller,' she said.

'I don't think there is an issue with letting children experience the world before they are 12 months old.'

Pushchairs which face 'backwards', so the child is facing the mother, can cost up to ten times more than outward-facing models, she said.

(link to origional http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2011/08/22/carrying-a-baby-facing-forward-is-cruel-claims-child-expert/)

Makes for interesting reading I guess.

I know if we over stimulate the kids I work with (who all have learning disabilities) like too many people talking at once etc. - it can cause really problems, so it kinda make sense that it must be a lot for a young baby to handle, but surely there comes and age when you need to let them see other things. And most poeple use forward facing things to start with anyway.

When my nephew was little he suffered really bad colic - and the only way he was comfy being held was draped over an arm facing out the way - cos I hated it, it made him really heavy.

xxx

I suppose a baby in a pram in a shopping centre wont experiance as much as being carried like that. I heard that those body carriers have been banned in america as people kept falling on their babys?

I don't like prams for lo's where they face forwards, I like to see my babies. Not so much when they're a bit older x

I haven't seen a double buggy for under £1000.00 that wasn't forward facing, so I don't really have a choice........ Maybe they are about though, but haven't seen them.......

Mine was from mothercare, I think it was called city wheels or something like that. You could face it either way and it was about £600 x

Sounds like more American rubbish to worry new mums!

Hmmmm there weren't any in Mothercare when we went - mind it's the one in Southampton and I'm sure they don't all stock the same stuff. The one we were going for is called the Citi Mini but it's only front facing. Oh well the article has done it's job and made me all paranoid now - ha ha ha

i have to say (this is a bit off topic) but i don't like slings, i think the babies always look really uncomfortable and pissed off lol! they just sort of...well...hang!! if i didn't drive though i might consider getting one as i assume its easier. my OH is against them since someone mentioned that you can fall on them. xx

My mums seriously advises I get one for when LOs newborn just so I can move around with him when he wants to be close to me. Im not a fan but might get one for the house.

---
-

i'm not too sure on my opinions regarding the direction facing debate.

I agree with the sling comment though... i'd be terrified i'd fall on them or that one of the straps would snap and they would fall out. I'm sure this is very unlikely but i'd be terrified!

xx

That was an interesting read, I have heard this a few times, its the reason we picked a buggy where baby faced us. I think its a comfort thing for small babies, especially when they start opening their eyes. When they get to the toddler stage they get fed up with you and want to look around more, which is where the outward facing seat comes in handy.

:)

Personally, I think it's a complete load of rubbish!! My son was in an outward facing buggy from day 1 and he is a lovely, outgoing and very well rounded little boy. He was talking brilliantly from 18 months and now he has started school is reading, counting and doing all the things he should (and in fact, a little above average). He is not anxious at all, and is one of the most popular children in his class (we were told there are often arguments amongst the other children as to who will play with him at break time!! LOL).

So, I don't think there is any mileage in what they are saying that it makes anxious babies who don't get interacted with. I think you are either a mummy who will interact with a child, whether in a forward or backward facing buggy, or not. I know I always interacted and chatted away to Lennon while we were walking and if sometimes I couldn't hear him properly, I would stop and see what he was saying before carrying on.

And, in actual fact, as soon as Lennon reached about 3 months old, he often prefered me to carry him facing outwards as there was more going on for him to look at!

I dont think they were saying it makes babies anxious, I think they mean that its more of a comfort thing for the child. I wouldn't think for a minute it would harm a childs development if they were outward facing. I think they mean at the time baby is in buggy it is more comforting for baby to look at their mum/dad - which is totally understandable & un-deniable really. Its not really hard to believe that babies would prefer to look at their mummy/daddy rather than facing the outside world.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back