What do I need for weaning?

debecca

Reaction score
Help!

What stuff do I need to go out and buy in preparation?? I've got WEANING GROUP next week but knowing now would be helpful. I'm thinking in terms of physical objects like freezer food cubes, spoon, bibs, baby rice etc...

Fankoo!

:rotfl: i was going to post about this today!

do you fancy going into business with me... i'm going to open a shop that sells things called "everything you need for weaning in a box...." and "everything you need for dealing with explosive nappies...." :rotfl: i'm only joking but come to think of it it might be a winner....

can you use regular ice cube trays?

midna said:
I guess it depends when your intending to wean before 6 months you might need all the stuff for purees ..like blender ice cube trays freezer bags a spoon and bowl, bibs...what you puree or use is your choice..Im guessing baby rice would be a good start :) If after 6 months you might just need a spoon xx

I will wean when she's ready but it's certainly not yet. I'm just anal and want to be prepared. Since I've been off the ADs I've been maniacally running round trying to get EVERYTHING done, I've gone nuts.

i've not really got anything!!

i've got a highchair. and i was bought an annabel karmel book and two freezer trays by a relative a while back.

i plan on doing blw though, so i think the only other thing i need is a large protective sheet for my carpet!

:D :D

What midna said. Depends if you want to do puree weaning etc or baby led later on.

If going with purees and stuff then a few ice cube trays, bags to wrap them in, some small tubs (with lids), a batch of bowls and spoons, bibs.... also a hand blender, steamer (I never cook baby veg in water, only steam them as I do all my veggies) and ummm can't think of anything else atm.

I'm hoping to go with baby led weaning around 6 months over puree sooner. I've done loads of research into it and think its the way forward for us :) Only thing is eeking Galen out till them might be a struggle on boob milk alone. But we shall see. Means I can skip the whole puree ice cube freezing thing too :)

Just what you've said really, some bowls, spoon, bibs etc. After a while I bought some little tubs to freeze baby food in (just small tupperware type tubs about the size of a small baby bottle). We found the ice cube trays great to start with but as she took food more it was handy to have a meal in a tub. We would cook up veg/rice/meat etc. on a weekend and then put a few in the freezer for days when we weren't cooking fresh for ourselves.

Sherlock said:
steamer (I never cook baby veg in water, only steam them as I do all my veggies)

I've noticed a few people say that- Why? :think:

Sherlock said:
Means I can skip the whole puree ice cube freezing thing too :)

:shhh: i'm hoping for 6 months for the same reason... I don't have a dishwasher and the thought of washing the blender and everything brings me out in a rash!
:lol:

Hey Bex :wave:

I have started weaning Daniel very, very gradually on a teensy bit of baby rice. All he has at the moment is a plastic bowl with a monkey face and a soft weaning spoon. I am taking it step by step with advice from HV :D

I eventually want a set of these though:

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

Keep us updated :D

If you wait until 6 months you need very little. I bought some small bowls for serving and steaming veg in the micrwave, a high chair and a couple of spoons and forks. Also loads of bibs, especially if you do BLW. Our Pound shop had some great ones with sleeves which saves on washing tops all the time. One tip I was told by someone who went down th puree route is to get flexible ice cube trays if you are freezing purees as they are much easier to get out.

If you fancy treating yourself, get some gu chocolate souffle puddings - they come in little glass ramekins which I found are the right size the serve Charlottes yoghurt and puddings in - obviously this was the only reason I bought them!

Sherlock said:
steamer (I never cook baby veg in water, only steam them as I do all my veggies)

Jade&Evie said:
I've noticed a few people say that- Why? :think:

Steaming takes out far less nutrients than boiling in water. And makes for tastier veg imho.

:talkhand: that's it- even if I have to feed Evie milk every hour I am waiting til 6 months! I can't afford all these bits and bobs and I already have a high chair and a couple of bubby bowl sets that were pressies.

:shakehead: B*llocks to all this ice cube and blender business! :lol:

We just got a blender in preparation! If you need one Jade - check out ebay! We saved £10 on the one we wanted, brand new, but box was slightly damaged :D

Baby led weaning does sound easier - Phoebe's already ramming anything and everything in her gob, so dunno if she'd let me feed her to be honest. We shall see.

Doubt she'll be ready before 6 months, she's never been a big eater.

Have bought the Annabel Karmel book for recipe ideas, it seems quite good.

Are those bowls that stick to the highchair any good? I want to get a high chair toy as well, anyone recommend one?

Any particular spoons / bowls that are any good? Or will any do.

I bought a Tommee Tippee weaning set from Argos, which was about £10 (the contents add up to way more if you buy them separately). It has small pots with lids, large bowls, heat sensing spoons, a sippy cup (think that is it!)

A steamer, with multiple baskets

A stick blender/liquidiser

ice cube trays (don't bother with special baby ones), I bought silicone ones from tesco for £1 each and they are fantastic. I freeze my purees, then once frozen I take them out and put them in resealable freezer bags, then I can use the trays again.

Annabel Karmel's new complete baby and toddler meal planner book - ideal if you clueless about weaning like me!

A mouli? Apparantly better for doing potatoes and stuff with hard outers like peas, dried fruit etc. I bought the Annabel Karmel one from Boots, which was £8.

Sherlock said:
What midna said. Depends if you want to do puree weaning etc or baby led later on.

If going with purees and stuff then a few ice cube trays, bags to wrap them in, some small tubs (with lids), a batch of bowls and spoons, bibs.... also a hand blender, steamer (I never cook baby veg in water, only steam them as I do all my veggies) and ummm can't think of anything else atm.

I'm hoping to go with baby led weaning around 6 months over puree sooner. I've done loads of research into it and think its the way forward for us :) Only thing is eeking Galen out till them might be a struggle on boob milk alone. But we shall see. Means I can skip the whole puree ice cube freezing thing too :)

Hi Sherlock,

As ever your replies are very helpful, but can you explain what the difference is between puree weaning and baby led weaning? Im confused now cause I thought that baby would eat the same whether weaned at 6 months or weaned at 4 months :think: :oops:

That makes perfect sense, thanks Midna.

Ooow I have all this to come, so many decisions :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back