West Midlands

Manda

Reaction score
As many of you know we're coming back to uk form oz in a couple of weeks, my OH is a Police officer, we thought he would be able to rejoin the force that he left but they said he had to do it within a year - we missed it by a week :(, we have just found out that West mids will take him on as a rejoiner within 18 months so he is in talks with them at the moment and is penciled in for a medical in June, neither of us know the West mids and would be great if any of you that are from that area could give us some advice on where to avoid and where would be nice to live (not too expensive) we're not looking at moving there straight away as a family as i have to get rid of some debts so will be staying with my parents but Dan will probably try and get a house share for a couple of months there, any advice is welcomed :) :)

Fingers crossed we will end up somewhere in west mids as it's also closer to my family than Leeds :) in fact it's about half way for both of us to travel to friends and family :) also know here's a few from here up there :)

Manda x

Hiya
I'm in the west mids!

Right...
Expensive areas: Solihull, Shirley, Knowle, Stratford.
Cheaper places in SOUTH Birmingham, including Hall Green, Yardley Wood, Coventry. I would definitley try to stick South of Birmingham if you want to be reasonably close to the centre (within an hours drive)

Ohhh look I found a handy police map. The dark greenareas are West Midlands force areas.

map.jpg

Hmmm looking at the map I would say West Midlands are mainly based in Solihull, so I would recommend looking for accomodation on Yardley Wood, Warstock, Hall green etc.

Pm me if you need any more info. By the way my friend is selling her house in Hall green now for 160 grand :)

Cheers Urchin, would love to buy a house but will have to rent for a while :( will pm you when we get more info on job cheers again x

Staffordshire is right next door to the West Midlands, some nice places there too :wink:

I live in the South West of Birmingham, and there are lots of places to buy/rent reasonable property. I would agree that it's nicer in the the south of Brum (sorry to anyone in the north!)

Urchin has mentioned a lot of places South East but you could look SW too.

I'm in Kings Norton which is ok and very close to motorway links (M42, M5 etc) but other places would be Kings Heath (regional police station), Stirchley and Bournville/Northfield (another big station).

They're all pretty close to Tally Ho, West Mids police central and training ground.

Coincidentally, a lot of my family are involved with the force (officers or civvies), my brother in law is an inspector at Solihull so you must keep me posted on your OH's job offers!

If I can be of any more help, use the forum or PM me any time xx

Minx if you live in Kings Norton you're about 5 mins from me!

Really?

You'll have to tell me if you and Brody go to any nice playgroups in the area. I'm gonna be a first time mum and have no idea about what's out there for us!!

Thanks for your help girls will be in touch soon as we know more :)

Solihull is nice, thats where im from...Knowle and Dorridge are very peaceful and very child friendly, nice schools around, tumble tots at local leisure centre etc.

More countryside bound but not in the middle of nowhere is Earlswood and Whythall.

I would avoid Sheldon, Chelmsly wood, Hall green, Olton.

Its not as quiet and child friendly esp chelmsly wood as that can be quite rough. Sorry if i offend anyone from these places, no offence meant.

Inner Birmingham, very noisy and busy and some parts are not nice at all.

My sister rents in Dorridge, and its not that expensive, they have a very nice 3 BR semi, in a lovely area. If you want some pics of the sort of houses look on websites like hunters etc, and search the area and you will be able to see pics of the sort of houses and area there is.

Also stratford upon avon, warwickshire etc can be nice :)

Hope this helps,
cassi

LittleMinx said:
Really?

You'll have to tell me if you and Brody go to any nice playgroups in the area. I'm gonna be a first time mum and have no idea about what's out there for us!!

No probs!
I'm living not far from the Maypole at the moment, but I grew up in Solihull (Shirley)

Hi Manda,

I too live in the West Mids!

I would also recommend South Birmingham. Solihull is great - but likely to be pricey. Areas such as Hall Green, Olton, Kings Norton, Bourneville, Cotteridge - they're all pleasant villages with good amenities and good transport links.

I would avoid areas such as Chemsley Wood, Kitts Green, Sparkhill and Sparkbrook, and Northfield. (No offense to anyone!)

North Birmingham wise, there is Sutton Coldfield and Wylde Green which are nice, but can be expensive.

As with all major cities - the further out you get from the centre, generally the nicer it is!

Good luck with your search and keep us updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back