washing meat?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

A friend was round the other day and I was making chicken salad, I washed two chicken breasts and popped them in the oven... she was really surprised that I wash meat?

Am I weird? Or do you also wash meat before cooking it?

Thanks

Lucy

i dont wash meat before i cook it surely it should be clean already ? still each to their own

I know what goes on behind the scenes... my advice - wash it!!! Especially chicken. :D

Emilia xx

Never have for breasts, but do with joints or whole poultry.

Your not supposed to wash meat because it risks spreading bacteria and can contaminate the sink and work area etc...

As the meat comes clean, just cooking the meat is fine. The heat whilst being cooked kills all bacteria.

It feels wrong though doesn't it? ...Not washing it? - My Mom has washed meat for as long as I can remember.

rosieroo said:

Ditto.

Emilia what do they do behind these scenes? or don't I want to know?? :shock:

sounds silly but i cant bear the thought of blood being on my meat :oops: i know its inside the meat too but the sight of blood on the outside makes me feel sick and then i cant eat it xxxxx

nicki said:
rosieroo said:

Ditto.

Emilia what do they do behind these scenes? or don't I want to know?? :shock:

I'm not telling! :D

With regards to "not" washing.... in the past I have bought chicken breasts and found that they had little black things on them from the packing materials used.

I think washing meat is a personal preference and as long as you clean up properly and disinfect with Anti-Bacterial Spray.
I've got a friend that worries about spreading bacteria when washing chicken, but then she horrifies me by dicing the raw chicken on a wooden breadboard... OMG - just how bad is THAT? :shock:

Emilia xx

I do wash chicken but not any other meat. Do worry about spreading bacteria though and wash everything after.

No I don't wash meat but my mum always does

I always wash it, my mum always told me thats what you were meant to do lol ...good old mum :D

sounds silly but i cant bear the thought of blood being on my meat i know its inside the meat too but the sight of blood on the outside makes me feel sick and then i cant eat it

I'm veggie but I cook meat for my husband. You have to wash meat if you're muslim to get rid of all the blood. He feels exactly the same as you Rach.

i cut my chicken on a wooden chopping board :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back