'V' day??

Chelle1979

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Online, they are giving different weeks for 'V' day.

What is the official week please? I thought it was 24 weeks but they say its 28 :/ Im confused xx

it depends on the country you live it hink because its all about medical intervention. in the uk its 24

I thought it was 27 weeks when I had ds!

It's 24 weeks here in the uk not sure how long it's been 24 weeks but I was always told that x

Lots of people say 24 weeks, I know others who feel the relief at 28 weeks when the chance of breathing air without medical intervention shoots significantly higher, but my midwife says they don't play anything by ear until full term at 37 weeks...hehe. It's all stats and averages.

I find it comforting to reach every Thursday when my weeks roll-over, but I know 2 little lovelies who arrived early at 32 & 33 weeks who were immediately fine and sent home from hospital straight away so I'm also secretly thinking 32 weeks will be a big personal relief for me.

Here's the Emma's diary update for 28 weeks which mentions the great "odds" of independent breathing from that point ...

"Having doubled in size in the past month your baby is now the size of a bag of flour weighing in at two and a half pounds (1000g) with a length of fifteen inches/37.5cm.

At 28 weeks pregnant your baby's eyes are blinking and lashes have formed. Developing eyesight means that your baby can sense light filtering in from the womb. Crucially, the lungs are now capable of breathing air because if birth occurs now survival is more or less a certainty with very little medical intervention. The brain is continuing to develop billions of neurons in preparation for the outside world.

Inside the uterus the formation of tiny capillaries is ensuring that your baby has a healthy pink glow. Antibodies are being soaked up from your blood to strengthen your baby’s immune system and prepare for fighting disease after birth. The major organ systems such as the brain, lungs and liver are having the finishing touches applied to them and body fat is up to 3%."

I worked for maternity allowance for quite a while, and v day in the uk is definitely 24 weeks. Before that they won't intervene, and if you lose baby before that you are not entitled to maternity leave/pay. Hope this helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back