URGENT MONEYSAVING ADVICE

Urchin

Reaction score
Hey

If anyone here is signed up to the MoneySaving Expert website, you may have seen:

Last week, EDF Energy hiked energy bills, increasing prices by 22% for gas and 17% for electricity. Today (Wed 30 July), British Gas announced a 9% electricity, 35% gas and 25% dual fuel rise. Energy suppliers usually operate a herd mentality, so the others are expected to do the same within five or six weeks. Another round of price hikes of a similar scale are predicted for next January.

Currently, the average energy bill is roughly £1,000; this takes it to £1,200 for EDF & British Gas customers. By the end of Jan next year, the average for all suppliers is predicted to be £1,400 to £1,600, due to the price suppliers pay for gas being so high.

To beat the price hikes, CAP NOW! Only One Left

If these predicted price rises do happen (and it can never be guaranteed), a capped rate lets you beat the hike as it allows you to lock-in at current prices. Yet cheap caps are disappearing fast, as suppliers increase their prices in line with the forthcoming hike in normal tariffs. However, grab one now and you're sorted; even if it's withdrawn an hour later, you've locked in at that price.

The cheapest cap for most people, the Scottish Power Fixed Price Energy 2009, was pulled from comparison sites on Tuesday, but it is still available direct, though it's ending imminently. The cheap British Gas cap is being replaced on Wed afternoon by a more expensive one, but may still be available via some comparison sites until the end of the day (you specifically need the British Gas Price Guarantee December 2009).

The only fully available one left is now from E.on. It has two incarnations: Energy Saver version 4 (free home energy report, but cancellation fees) and Price Protection October 2009 (no energy report, no cancellation fee). It's still best to do a comparison to see its definitely cheapest for you.

Obviously, these are disappearing quicker than a rabbit near Paul Daniels, so if you're going to do this, don't delay. To find the cheapest, use the comparison sites above, which separate out capped tariffs in the results, and switch to the cheapest.

I just switched to E.on .....seriously, if you are not capped do it NOW!! Martin Lewis says so!

I did mine through quidco.com and also got £55 cashback

:shock: I can't remember if I am E.on or EDF but as soon as I get home I will be checking.

MORE F*CKING MONEY :wall: :wall: :wall:

I was with Southern Electric but they have stopped letting people cap so now I moved!

can u switch even if uve got a small debt? think its like £80 with britash gas and its inc in our monthly bills

Urchin said:
I was with Southern Electric but they have stopped letting people cap so now I moved!

i'm with southern :-( i think they are awful i have a small flat and its just me and Hayden now but it was just 3 of us and they sent me an electric bill for £800 i can't move now because i am in debt to them and had to have a pre payment meter put in!
grrrr :twisted:

What does it mean to be capped???? I've never heard of it before.

I have a key meter for both gas and electric.

I'm with southern electric on the price fix 2008 and i've never had a problem. I've compared mine and I'd be £147 a year worse off if i switch so I'm gonna stay put for now :)

I have just looked on a comparison site and the only person who will offer me capped prices till oct 2009 is Eon.
Bill is in OH name so gonna have to get him to make a decision now as to what we are going to do.
I cant believe the price hike, its terrible how on earth are people supposed to afford it.

charlie84 said:
I have just looked on a comparison site and the only person who will offer me capped prices till oct 2009 is Eon.

Thats cos they are the only one left doing capping... scottish power stopped it last night, E.on won't be doing it for much longer I don't think.

Capping, if people don't know, is basically fixing the price you pay for your gas/electric ... E.on will fix the current price till october 2009. Capped prices are generally 10-15% more than the cheaper tariffs, but if prices go up (eh British gas increased their gas prices today by 35%!!) you'll be better off in the long run

Bugger. Looks like we're destined to be poor. It's all in DH's name and he's out of the country... Typical. And diesel had just come down in price as well, albeit 3p, so something had to make up for it hey!

monster_munch said:
Bugger. Looks like we're destined to be poor. It's all in DH's name and he's out of the country... Typical. And diesel had just come down in price as well, albeit 3p, so something had to make up for it hey!

can you not sign up in your name and account then change it later?

They are the ones who deal with your current supplier, you don't need any details.

BTW the E.on site is on the way down at the moment... super slow with everyone switching I reckon.

We're with E.ON and have just had our Leccy bill doubled from £41 to £81 and Gas from £24 to £31 so we have capped them but apparently that doesnt stop them from going up drastically next year

Princess_Puddles said:
We're with E.ON and have just had our Leccy bill doubled from £41 to £81 and Gas from £24 to £31 so we have capped them but apparently that doesnt stop them from going up drastically next year

yeah next year we'll all be switching again LOL

You know i'm really gutted about this!

Cos we are not in our new home yet I can't cap the bloody prices :( So i'm gonna get fooked really :?

Sweetcheeks24 said:

Cos we are not in our new home yet I can't cap the bloody prices :( So i'm gonna get fooked really :?

can't you cap now and take it with you when you move?
ring them :)

If you're gonna switch try and do it on a cashback site- all you have to do is join up and then you click on the website through the cashback site... extra bit of cash for nothing. I used Quidco like Urchin and got £55 back :cheer: :cheer:

I wouldnt trust Eon as far as I could throw them. I have found them to be really untrustworthy.

Urchin said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

can't you cap now and take it with you when you move?
ring them :)

No cos we are with the outlaws cos we had to move out of the old house so don't have an account open so to speak :wall: I wanted to though cos I think it's silly not to the way things are

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back