ttc whlie breastfeeding, do i stop b/f?

girlygirl

Reaction score
Hi
Im in a bit of a dilema. I want number 2 and im still breastfeeding. My daughter is 8 monhts and i only wanted a 18month ish gap between babies.
I love breastfeeding so i dont really want to stop, but might have to.
Ive just cut down feeds and now feed only 7am 3pm and 8-9pm. She used to feed alot more as i gave her comfort feeds for her naps...naughty i know! But ive stopped that now. She doesnt take much at 3pm so may replace this with formula (grugingly) :( to see if periods return. Then id just feed morning and evening.

Has anyone been in this situation? It only took 3 months to conceive Rhiannon so hopefully it wont take too long. Then again i hear you can conceive when feeding? But surely you have to have your period back 1st?

Oh im confused. what to do. It upsets me tho think i may stop feeding soon but i do want number 2 too.

How long does it take to stop feeding too, i guess it takes a few weeks to reduce milk to avoid getting engorgment, god that must hurt to stop!

Go to kellymom.com it has loads of info on this

And good luck hun xxx :D

Hiya,

I'm assuming your cycles have returned to normal. I do know a few women who have conceived when BF. I stopped when trying for my 2nd and 3rd but had a bigger age gap than you want. Doc said it would improve my chances but I'd say give it a go first before stopping and see if anything happens, and if not you can always stop.

Good luck.

I got my period back by 6 months with Austin, shortly after we introduced solids. They were really irregular though, right up until I conceived. By the time we started TTC #2 (when Austin was 9 months) I was breastfeeding twice a day (morning and afternoon) but dropped the afternoon feed after the first month. Austin self-weaned 2 weeks before his birthday and that was the month I got pregnant - I don't know if it was just a coincidence though as it was the 4th cycle trying.

Your best bet is to work out if you're actually ovulating - if you haven't had a period yet chances are you aren't but it's not unheard of. Have a look in TTC for some more info on how to do this if you're not sure.

Good luck hun, :hug:

Thanks for the replies. no my periods havent returned yet. someone suggested i have a blood test done to see my hormone levels as they do that in New Zealand. The NHS prob wont do it here tho.
I think im going to carry on feeding and try as rhiannon loves it and so do I. I just hope periods return soon.

I am in the same boat as you and wondering about taking vitex to see if it kickstarts my period. Can't decide whether too or not? :?

good luck :hug:

I conceieved whilst still breastfeeding but my periods had returned when my eldest was 10 months old. If you are enjoying it I wouldn't stop, just see how it goes. Its nature's way of spacing out your pregnancies making nsure your body is ready for another pregnancy :hug:

I conceived while breastfeeding (DS was 9 months and I'd had periods for 3 months). I carried on breastfeeding for another 3 and a bit months too.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back