TTC Confused about alcohol

loulou653

Reaction score
Hi ladies

first time here! Can anyone help?

I'm confused about ttc and alcohol... I'm not a big drinker at all, but one of my best mate's hen parties is 2 days after O. My OH works away a lot so I have worked out we could DB on day 15, O is day 18, hen party is day 20. By this point, if I was lucky enough to conceive, would alcohol hurt the foetus - or is it still "travelling" at this point?

I want to stress that I am not a big drinker, but it will cause suspicion if I totally abstain during this event. I don't want to cause suspicion becasue I (stupidly, I now feel) told my very close friends that I was ttc, and now, 4 months later, nothing has happened. I'm sick of making excuses for it not having happened, I just want to avoid discussion on the subject and me not drinking at the hen do will bring it up again.

hope that makes sense.

thanks xx

Hi I personally would limit yourself if you are going to drink...what I plan to do is offer to go to the bar and get myself something like soda water and lime - looks like a gin and tonic :)

Either that or just drink pints of water in between saying you don't want to get hung over too badly - good luck with the TTCing - not sure at that stage what effects the alcohol would have on baby but didn't want to read and run

Not really sure what the answer to this is but at 2dpo there is no direct connection to your blood stream. I agree with the idea of going to the bar yourself that Jensbump suggested. Luckily for me I am catholic and so can tell people I have given up alcohol for lent so at the moment I am not having to explain not drinking :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your thoughts!

A friend had said (about someone else, not me) that up to 8dpo had no connection to the blood stream but I wasn't sure if that was grounded in any truth. I guess I will be holding the kitty and heading to the bar on every round!! :O)

Hi LouLou I was reading about when the baby's blood supply connects with the mothers and it's not till end of week 4 ish - here is an extract:

The early version of the placenta is forming and the very beginning of the connecting stalk- which will become the umbilical cord- has appeared. Until your placenta is fully functioning, the yolk sac, now present, will feed your baby. Different germ layers are developing and the vascular networks that contain maternal blood are being established.

Hope this helps

thanks Jensbump, that's what I was trying to work out - that's really helped! x

Say you are on anitbiotics and cannot drink, a friend of mine did that at our wedding when she was actually 3 mths preg and noone guessed

I had the same worries a few weeks back. I am a big drinker. Well not massive but I do enjoy a glass or two. I also put a post up as I was worried because I didn't want the drink to effect our chances. It's really hard to hide it from your friends.

I think stressing about it is worse than just having one or two. We fell pregnant a few weeks back and when ttc I had a few and we concieved. Try having a soft drink inbetween.

Turns out I had been drinking when I was pregnant because the test I did came up negative and so I had a few nights on the beers (only a few wines luckly). Turned out the test was wrong and I was 3 weeks gone. Fingers crossed all is ok. It was only a few wines and I am sure lots of people have done it without realising.

Since then I have been avoiding going out as I know people will suss me. However I went out the other week, turned up late at the bar and ordered an apple juice in a wine glass topped up with lemonade and ice. It worked a treat as it looked like a spritza. I bought the next round and ordered a tonic water. They always put tonic water in the same glass as a gin and tonic with lots of ice so is very convincing. Just add a straw and should anyone have asked, I would have said it was a vodka and tonic as you can taste gin if anyone trys. From then on, never finish your drink when everyone else does so you don't end up in a round. If you do then say, "I think I need to rehydrate as I have a headache and haven't drunk many soft drinks today". "That way I won't go soo much of a hangover the next day".

"Then there is always the. We went out last night and had too much to drink. Gonna be a bit slow with the drinks to begin with tonight"!

The other thing I did was to say I was on my period and wan't feeling that well. My stomach felt bloatered and don't want to irritate it by drinking too many cold drinks. This worked a treat. I still pretended I was drinking to take people off the sent but just added in a hot drink here and there. And mentioned that I had taken a tablet.

What I think (my opinion only) is that you should just take it as it comes. Try to avoid shots and you will be fine to have a few. I think worrying will be worse. When you go on these hen dos no one really notices what you are drinking as there is always lots going on. Just have fun.

Hope it goes well. xxx

Such a good question loulou. I've been cutting back (although not a massive drinker anyway), but figure the occasional one won't hurt while we're ttc. Will cut out altogether though when we get the bfp!

Hi loulou

I had got my :bfp: but it was coming up to xmas and new year and didnt want our families to get suspicious so I drank at xmas, new years eve and a little on new year (looking back i realise this was really irresponsable). Decided that was my last heavy drink until DD was born and I stuck with it, even missed a drink on my 18th birthday.

The only advice i could give you is that if you are going to drink, make sure it isnt a huge amount so you dont fall around all over the place and remember to enjoy yourself. If you do get your :bfp: you'll need to get used to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back