• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trapped wind?

Urchin

Reaction score
Hey girls

For a while now Riley has been waking at night with tummy ache, he tries to strain as if he needs a poo but doesn't go. He sounds really uncomfortable.

It can be a little better if we give him gripe water before bed but not always.
I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anything else I can try apart from the gripe water and rubbing his tummy etc?

What about the colocynth crystals. I got them for Joe for what I thought was colic but I think he had bad wind. He really trumpeted when he had them.

Dont know what the doseage would be for Rileys age though :think:

I've never heard of them, are they from the chemist or the health food shop?

Hello!

My little boy (who is 8 weeks old) has exactly the same problem. I am just assuming it is trapped wind. He has it late at night and first thing in the morning (about 5am onwards).

It really frustrates him and he goes bright red with the struggling. Nothing comes out until about 9.30am when he has a MASSIVE poo (still like chicken korma though). I keep thinking he is constipated but the health visitor said that if he was then the poo would be solid rather than runny. It is really distressing for me to see him straining so hard.

Not sure what to do either!

Julia xx

Julia said:
Hello!

My little boy (who is 8 weeks old) has exactly the same problem. I am just assuming it is trapped wind. He has it late at night and first thing in the morning (about 5am onwards).

It really frustrates him and he goes bright red with the struggling. Nothing comes out until about 9.30am when he has a MASSIVE poo (still like chicken korma though). I keep thinking he is constipated but the health visitor said that if he was then the poo would be solid rather than runny. It is really distressing for me to see him straining so hard.

Not sure what to do either!

Julia xx

LOL.. Julia? I think we may have the same baby! Ollie is exactly the same and the times you mention above are pretty much spot on too! I think in our situation with them being so young its down to an immature bowel and should (apparently) pass. Its horrible to see though.

Claire x

My son does this, he is only a month old and has been straining and pooing little ollies with the occasional soft poo, my midwife said babies on formula only go about once a day and it usually is hard so not to worry (sam goes way more than once a day), when he hadnt gone for two days i called her and she said give him boiled water with a touch of sugar, i did that and it worked it came out like tooth paste and he must have lost some weight through it, the next day a different midwife came out and shouted at me for the sugar water although she had to appologise once i told her it was a member of her team that told me to do it.
I give little sam boiled water cooled down between bottles and it has loosened up his bowel movements a little and he doesnt strain as much (although if i dont give him any he seems in pain)
I am getting worried by how much straining he does as it looks like he is going to burst a vessel and his brother had major bowel problems when he was a baby so am like a woman posessed checking every bowel movement and vomiting that he does.
The boiled water cooled down does help a little
pam x

have you tried cycling his legs? that works a treat for us

pammie said:
I am getting worried by how much straining he does as it looks like he is going to burst a vessel and his brother had major bowel problems when he was a baby so am like a woman posessed checking every bowel movement and vomiting that he does.
The boiled water cooled down does help a little
pam x

Tell me about it Pam.. I have crohns disease and im obssessed with worrying about his bowels! I've been told the straining is totally normal.

Oh and i bet your HV got a good rollocking for telling you to put sugar in the bottle! lol

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back