Too Late For Elimination Communication?

YorksLass

Reaction score
My daughter is 10 months in about a week and I've been reading a little about elimination communication, since nappy changes have become a nightmare! She twists, flips, arches her back, cries and screams...
She's in cloth nappies (tots bots birth-potty and bamboozles at night) which I've read can help the baby to be more aware of wees.
Has anybody tried this technique so late on and had success? Any useful tips out there? It's really obvious when she's pooing, but what sort of signs would you get for wees?
Any advice appreciated!

Hi, im planning on starting again too and phoenix is 9 months old :)

Not sure what to look for I'm afraid. She has been teething and her nappies have been awful and she ended up with a sore bum, so she had a few days last week where she was nappy free a lot, she went ages between wees and there didnt seem to be any warning lol. Her bottom is fine again now and she has got two teeth in the last two days and numbers 5 & 6 are practically through too :shock:

Last edited:
I have done EC with all my babies and with my son we started later (around 9 months) and had great success. My biggest piece of advice is buy a bumbo potty seat, it is so comfortable and really cradles baby so she will be secure. Then just take her and sit her on the potty as soon as she wakes up, before and after diaper changes, before and after eating, before naps and bed, and before and after baths. Make the "sss" sound each time so she will associate eliminating with that sound. Don't worry about looking for cues at first, just take her every hour or 2 (when you're home) and you'll begin to see patterns and she will also begin to associate the potty with pee/poop. Also if you catch her peeing during a diaper change or something, make the "sss" sound so she understands that's the cue.

Ok good luck!

And signs my babies need to pee are sudden fussiness/squirming and popping on and off the breast.

Thanks Kholl! Useful tips and good to know it's not too late!
And good luck Phoenix too, hope mini Phoenix takes to it ;-)
I did about 3 hours nappy free on towels the other day, popping her on a potty every now and again before she was due her nap and she didn't do a thing lol - bet she did as soon as the nappy went on...
Haven't tried it since due to travelling about, but will do it again this week. Will have to find one of those bumbo seats...

Can i do this even though she has normal nappies and almost 11m?

From what I'm reading, it's not too late to give it a go Blueclass - people seem to be saying that 18 months plus would be considered actual potty training and not EC.
I'm sure coming from disposables would be ok, it's just I think in cloth the baby is more aware of having weed and being wet!
Never hurts to try I suppose :)

Last edited:
No i guess not. Il do some .ore readi g on it and see what i think x

Ich wusste gar nicht das man damit schon so früh beginnen kann. Wann fängt man da denn am besten mit an?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back