To those who got to 6 months ..or very near it exclusivley..

purple13

Reaction score
i didn't know you were doing that xena :shock: well done - am most impressed.

i know where you're coming from on this one midna... my in-laws think i'm doing some weird hippy new age thing by wanting to wean connor as near to 6 months as damnit. every weekend they ask me "have you started weaning him yet?" and i have to keep coming out with the same answer. and those who at first said "are you feeding him, oh well done" now say "are you still feeding him?". i go to social things, like OH's cricket match, and feel like everyone's eyes are on me cos i'm feeding connor for the second time in an hour. and i can't count the number of times that strangers have gloated about how their LO's sleep through the night, telling me that its because they're formula fed, or because they've been weaned. i have a baby who doesn't really sleep and who feeds every 1.5/2 hours - sometimes less - they don't say owt about that in textbooks :wink: :lol: he's shown all the right signs for weaning for a month or maybe even longer and i even have to justify myself to OH regularly.

this being a forum, i've replied to threads with what is only my humble opinion. but i truly don't care what other people do! there's no right or wrong - no one-size-fits-all. we trust our instincts and do what's right for our babies. i think we're all brilliant mums here, i really do. so :hug: :hug: :hug: to everyone, however they choose to raise their children.

awww thank you midna :hug:

purple - yeh Alex is a terrible eater. For example, yesterday I managed to get him to eat 1 slice of ham, half a slice of bacon, and 1 petit filou yoghurt. I keep persevering every day - some days he eats a little more than others, but it's a big struggle. So he drinks a lot of booby milk otherwise he'd starve!

DH wants us to get him onto cows milk though - his theory is that if he isn't being fed by breastmilk it might encourage him to eat more normal food. He has a point, but I'm worried that it might not work, and then Alex really will starve to death!

well done to everybody who has made it to 6 months. you're all brilliant xxx

I don't know if I count but I'm going to 6 months unless my head/boobs fall off or Freya's was at serious physical risk!

I agree that we need to fight for it, after only losing 2 ounces of weight one week, the leader of our local 'Breast is Best' support group was suggesting baby rice :wall: . Then a week later at the weigh in clinic they said if she had lost weight again they would suggest it too but I said I wanted advice on what to do to KEEP BF'ing not just to give up and that I didn't accept 'sometimes it just happens' I'd want to know WHY to make an informed choice. Eventually they got my own HV and she was SO supportive (hence my thread about what helps the other day). I didn't feel so on my own - oh and then we weighed her and she'd put ON 8 ounces in the last week (I'll leave folk out there to imagine the spurt feeding that had gone on and still is!).

I have a friend who stopped BF'ing and I think she did make the right decision for her for different reasons but I don't think it helps her or any other bogger to then pretend it doesn't matter at all - the reasearch isn't all rubbish. I might not always know how to say that with the most tact, I don't score much on 'mum' politics but I have too much respect for myself and anyone else to just start pretending sticking to breastfeeding is just a whim on my part rather than a reasoned and careful decision which does take hard work.

I know I'll get to six months - unless of course my boobs do fall off! :oops:

Almost everyone I talk to now is either telling me to add baby rice to a bottle of EBM or to resort to formula. Luckily I'm stubborn and single minded and am very adept at smiling and look enthusiastic whilst thinking f*$k off!

Kathryn will tell me when she needs more than booby milk- at the moment she may be waking up evry 3 hours at night for a feed, but she's barely eating during the day. IF she was starving she'd ask to be fed all day AND all night. I'm sick of the 'She might be fine but it's YOU you've got to think about' comments- I'm a mum now, my entire being is consumed with putting my lovely happy little girl first. If I'm tired, I'm tired-so what? I've been tired for 4 months now! A few more weeks won't make a difference!

I echo what Midna said- well done for getting to 6 months and beyond- it is a challenge and I know I'm going to give it my best shot. :cheer:

:cheer: I got to 6 months cos I am a lazy biatch who couldn't be arsed and had no clue how to wean :lol: Seriously, it scared me so I just kept ignoring it. Xena has the right idea :wink:

:cheer: :cheer: i got to 7 months, very proud of myself for that.

And well done Xena!

All I can say is can I have a minutes silence for my poor boobies :( Cally is teething and is feeding more then usual, she was just attached last night and I still can't feel my nipples (she probably swallowed them).

Sweetcheeks24 said:
:cheer: I got to 6 months cos I am a lazy biatch who couldn't be arsed
and me. I weaned Seren early (19 weeks first then 5 1/2 months) and I really wanted to get to 6 months to avoid pureeing as it took me too long :rotfl: . Am getting excited about weaning now :dance:

Purple13 - you summed my thoughts upperfectly there chick,my family are the same (creamgate being a classic example)
Xena - you are wonder woman. I have some stuff somewhere aboiut late weaning.I will try and find it and post it to you if you wat (but I do have to find it first)

Wish I'd got to 6 months but my doctor said no :( But lil miss has gotten all the way to 6 months on boob milk with only a slight glitch at the beginning because the hospital forced me to give formula to my child.

Saying that lil miss was completely fed on mummy milk and home made pureés and to this date has only had 1 yogurt, and 3 fruit jars... nothing but wholesome home made goodness for my girl.. :D I even make creamy pureés and cereal with boob milk...

had to use formula for the cauliflower cheese recepie the other day because I don't actually know how breast milk will react to being heated to high temperatures and mixed with cheese and baby rice.. :think: Couldn't risk wasting boob milk... But thats the first time :)

And to all those who are told by their doctors that weaning helps reduce reflux... they are down right liars don't do it just keep trying to get to 6 months... :shakehead:

Squiglet said:
And to all those who are told by their doctors that weaning helps reduce reflux... they are down right liars don't do it just keep trying to get to 6 months... :shakehead:

I keep having this shoved at me by HV etc! One of my good friends (bottle feeder) has a little boy with reflux and she was told the same thing. She was determined not to wean him until he was ready. He turned 6 months last week and has been milk only up till now!
:)

Squiglet said:
had to use formula for the cauliflower cheese recepie the other day because I don't actually know how breast milk will react to being heated to high temperatures and mixed with cheese and baby rice.. :think: Couldn't risk wasting boob milk... But thats the first time :)

Its fine Squig (well mine was anyway) - everything just went a bit gloopy but still fine.

I used mine all the time for cheese sauces and rice pudding etc.

Try it!

Valentine xxx

Squiglet said:

Reflux can be very severe. It's best to heed the advice of the paeditricians on this.

I've said it before and I will say it again... my absolute main goal with BF'ing Luke is to get to 6 months exclusive and then see how we go with weaning. I would of course wean earlier if needed... if I thought he was starving/needed it but I don't *think* he will. We have 5 weeks tomorrow until our big day and I am excited about seeing him try new things but I'll certainly continue with feeding him myself too and hope to for a long while yet :D

you're all making me blush lol

Alex ate like this much fish today <*}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}><
<*}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}><

(more or less literal thickness and length)

plus 1 and a half chips
plus half of a stage 1 jar of banana and blueberry yoghurt

beanie I'd be very interested in reading your stuff on late weaning if you ever find it. Thanks hun :hug:

Xena's amazing.. :hug: :hug: :hug:

LucyBee said:
Squiglet said:

Reflux can be very severe. It's best to heed the advice of the paeditricians on this.

lil miss does have really bad reflux.... shes nearly 7 months and still throws up to 12 times a day... they refused to give me medicine but to try solids... it didn't help at all, just meant her sick was chunkier and slimier, can't imagine how ill she would have been on formula... It would have been better for them to give us meds and to keep her on milk.. I asked to try meds.. but they just said to try food....I've looked into it now, and the medical research says that in some cases weaning or thicker feeds can help, but true GERD babies won't really benefit much from early weaning unless they are medicated at the same time... :( But some Spanish doctors are really old fashioned. Not that it made much difference weaning her early... I just think she would have been better on boob milk and blw...finger foods being chunkier would mean it would be more difficult for her to throw back up....now I can't get her to eat anything but gloop...

Oooo and thank you Valentine... I was really worried I'd spoil it and waste it... but I'll give it a try... I'm producing bucket loads of milk atm.. dunno why.. :think:

:( :( :( :( :( :(

This thread has depressed me

I wanted to get to 6 months with Green Bean as I did with his sister, but I have failed :(
When I don't come on the forum I am 100% happy with my decision to give him his 1 meal a day of baby rice made with booby milk and homemade fruit puree, but I come on here and you selfishly remind me of how I wanted to do things :shakehead:

How dare you... in future I want you to run all your posts past me so I can see if they will upset me or not.

midna yeh he was a biggun. 10lbs 1oz

monster_munch said:
:( :( :( :( :( :(

This thread has depressed me

I wanted to get to 6 months with Green Bean as I did with his sister, but I have failed :(
When I don't come on the forum I am 100% happy with my decision to give him his 1 meal a day of baby rice made with booby milk and homemade fruit puree, but I come on here and you selfishly remind me of how I wanted to do things :shakehead:

How dare you... in future I want you to run all your posts past me so I can see if they will upset me or not.

ohhh hun please don't feel that way. I only got to 3 months breastfeeding Lydia, despite wanting to do longer. It doesn't matter - at the end of the day your LO is happy and healthy and that is what matters :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back