Tips to get him to settle in the middle of the night

emmie

Reaction score
Blake comes to bed with me about half 12am after his last feed, usually wakes anytime between 4am and 6am for another feed, after this feed he just wont settle at all and when daryl gets out of bed at about 7.30am i have to put him on the bed next to me and then he finally sleep. i dont like doing this as i want him to sleep in his own crib does anyone have any tips as to get him back to sleep?

I know how hard it is for baby to wake up in the middle of the night, but you LO is just too small yet. When he will be older you can try controlled crying, but not yet. He wont understand it.

I am affraid there isnt much you can do at this stage. :hug: Maybe crib lightshow might just keep quiet?

he just wants to be close to you - he's been inside you for 9 months and now he's in this big scary world he wants to feel snuggled up and safe.

he's already sleeping pretty well!! :shock: its very common for babies to be confused between night and day and for their patterns to be all over the place, but it settles in time.

enjoy your sleep and cuddles!

It actually sounds as though he is doing really well for such a newbie. Emms was awake 12-4am solid at that age!!! :hug: :hug:

Ollie was always staying in bed with me after his middle of the night feed but he's pretty good at going back in his cot now. If he does stay with you whilst he is so young it doesnt always mean you will have problems in a couple of weeks.

I feed Olie at around 11pm and then give him a cuddle and settle him in his cot (i stay in the room with him) i use a musical mobile thing. He then wakes about 2ish and i feed him by torch, dont talk to him much and dont give him eye contact. After his feed i give him a cuddle and then pop him back in his cot. Sometimes this works sometimes not.. mostly it does though.

I stupidly got my OH to do the middle of the night feed once and realised how different it CAN be. Ollie started crying so he went over started chatting away to him, picked him up (still chatting) made him all lively and awake, fed him burped him, he then threw up so that was a clean up process, then he made a major squwelch so he had to change his nappy too.. oh and in the process of changing his nappy he peed all over the place (total clothes change required) :doh:

Needless to say, i do all the middle of the night feeds.. at least he tried!

Claire x

Sounds like Blake is doing pretty well hun! Better than Isla ever did!

She goes to sleep after a feed at 1am, wakes for feed around 3-4ish, then again 6-6.30ish, bearing in mind she takes about and hour to feed :sleep: :sleep:

Id love to get her to settle in her basket while awake...but this is impossible, the only way she will settle is if shes already fallen fast asleep on our chests..if I put her in any other time she goes mad! Im trying to get her to do it though as I dont want to start a pattern of her only getting to sleep on my chest :roll:

ok im going to stop complaining now lol and make the most of it incase it changes for the worse.

Is the crib right next to you hon?

Its ok when Hay wakes at about 6:30am he is awake with Daddy till he goes and then comes back with me on the bed for a couple more hours kip, thats his Mummy and baby morning naptime lol!!

:hug:

yup the crib is right next to my bed, he seems to be getting worse to settle now :?

Have you tried just resting your hand gently on the side of his face or holding his hand!?
Lola-Mae rarely settles if I put her in my bed but if I put her in her moses basket and hold her hand or touch her face, shes out like a light!

Calum is the same as Blake - he settles fine through the night (most of the time) but once he's awake after 4/5am then the only way to get him to settle is to bring him into bed with us. At the moment we're just living with it as I'm sure he'll change as he gets a little older. It has been a pain in the bum though as OH hasn't been overly keen as he was worried about forming bad habits but I'm winning him over, and he's starting to see the benefits. I don't believe you can form bad habits at this stage so I'll do what is needed to cope through the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back