Thinking of getting a puppy

mamalove

Reaction score
We're thinking of getting a puppy soon,but we're stuck on what breed because not many are 'child-friendly'.
At first we said chihuahua,but after watching couple of you tube videos :oooo: we decided against it.

We'd like a small breed puppy,someone whos not very active and likes being indoors. I think it's important to intorduce children to pets from very early on,but i just don't know who to opt for.

So far the only breed we are considering is Maltese..anyone has any ideas or input?

x

My favourite small breed is a minature Yorkshire terrier but I do love my terriers :D

They are cute but i heard they are very active?:D

A bunny wabbit as a second option lol

I want one for my girls :)

A bunny wabbit as a second option lol

I want one for my girls :)

You know out of all the animals we've had, we've never had a rabbit; they're meant to bite :shock:

We had two rabbits,apparently they were two males,turns out they made a mistake and they had 7 babies between them!!!!

We didn't realise this as it was summer and the hutch was outside,by the time we realised they had all died and that night the female rabbit dissapeared!
It wasn't long before the male run away too ..they were nowhere to be found.
:(

Awww no!

I just remember my bunny Lucy as a child and don't want any more dogs or cats pissing and scratching my furniture lol

I've always loved to have one of them dulux dogs (refuse to call them anything else lol) big fluffy but no doubt slobbery! ha

Pomeranian? Pug? Although ive heard Pugs are hard work to train, quite naughty

Awww no!

I just remember my bunny Lucy as a child and don't want any more dogs or cats pissing and scratching my furniture lol

I've always loved to have one of them dulux dogs (refuse to call them anything else lol) big fluffy but no doubt slobbery! ha

I love those dogs! They're massive though!

I had a rabbit when I was little, I got bored of it after about a week though xx

can't beat a cocker spaniel, but very active as they are working dogs.

We have 2 English cockers. They are so good with kids :cloud9: My boy cocker is Merv ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for replies girls x

I do like Cocker Spaniels,family next door to me have them ..are they housey or outdoorsey? :)

ohh just realised theres differents breeds of Cockers,i didn't know that.

Both. My two are like cats during the day :sleep: but they LOVE to run and go for walks. Not as demanding as say a Springer spaniel. Basically you get English 'Show' Cockers, English 'Working' Cockers and American cockers.

Show (that's what I have) have the long ears and are what people tend think of when you say 'cocker'. There are various colours - I have a parti (black and white) and a blue roan (see pup pic below). You can also get solids - black, red etc.

Workers look like mini springers and need A LOT of exercise. They are bred to work with the hunt flushing and retrieving so they need to be out - lots! They also traditionally have along dock (tail). Some breeders still dock workers because the law in the UK allows it with working breeds. Show cocker pups have full tails now.

American are smaller than English and have a squished nose - Lady from Disney's Lady and The Tramp is an American cocker. They are similar in temperment to show but can be a bit more highly strung. My friend has one - they are tiny but think they are a Rottie or something!

American

http://www.europuppyusa.com/images/dog_breed_info/6_1.jpg

English Show (puppy like my Merv :cloud9: )

http://www.asafornander.com/blog/wp-content/english-cocker-spaniel-0045.jpg

English Worker

http://www.necsr.co.uk/images/image8.jpg

Last edited:
awww that puppy is gorgeous!!!
are they big when fully grown?

do you keep the indoors or out?

sorry for all the questions :lol:

We have working cocker, and they are so well trained, but do require alot of outdoor space.
I had a springer spaniel as wel, and again was a working spaniel and was outdoors alot.

Show cockers i believe are not as active but i think still like to be out a fair bit?? But not too sure.

My springer was big when grown, was a welsh springer spaniel, but my cocker is small and not big at all and he is fully grown. If you put him next to my choc lab, who is nearly 1, you can see a big size different the lab being massive the cocker being small.

I keep all the animals inside, i have the backdoor open during the day so they can go out, as and when, but as my dad is a head gardener at a Castle he is allowed to take them to work with him also.

Awww no!

My mom always reminds me of when I was younger, walking to the park and in front of a shop was one of those dogs, and I shouted ''LOOK MOM, A DUREX DOG!!''
lol
:lol:
I didnt get it til I was older and she explained.

Mine line inside but we have a large terraced garden that they have the run off while we are at home. When they were pups we crated them when we were out to keep them safe but they have the run of the kitchen when we go out now.

The stand approx 40cm high :)

Thanks for replies everyone x

We have a good size garden,and we would take him for a walk every day of course,but i remember my parents and their GSD :) she was ACTIVE!! I don't think i could keep up with a dog like that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back