MRSA in Lancashire Neo natal Ward cover-up

pilkers

Reaction score
This is a story about my local hospital (where I'll be giving birth early next year)

It's totally disgusting that they hide these things....

"AN expert in hospital infections has slammed the Royal Blackburn Hospital for not making public details of an MRSA outbreak in a baby unit.

Bosses at the hospital said they did not want to reveal that babies in the neo natal unit were infected with the superbug until it was discovered exactly what strain had been found.

But Professor Richard James, an expert in healthcare associated infections, said the public should have known the aggressive Panton Valentine Leukocidin (PVL) form of the bug had been found.

It was discovered in mid-September and the intensive care unit for babies remains closed to all but emergency admissions.

Prof James, who works at the University of Nottingham, said: "It is very important for people to know what is happening because this strain can be spread very easily.

"PVL is very dangerous and the fact is that people may have been in the ward just before this discovery was made and be unaware that they are carrying it around.

"It can be spread easily from nurses to children and betwe-en family members.

"The secrecy is a big problem. Everything should have been kept above board."

There has been no official confirmation of the number of babies infected but it is believed that four out of the seven tots in the ward at the time of the discovery were affected.

Tony Field, from patients' group MRSA Support, said the hospital should have kept the public better informed.

He said: "Hospitals always worry about frightening people but not knowing what's going on is even worse."

The failure to reveal the outbreak after one of the most serious strains of MRSA was found has prompted a huge fallout between health watchdogs and the trust.

Coun Roy Davies, in charge of the watchdog, said its relationship with the trust was now "untenable"

He said he was misled after asking hospital bosses on Monday if there were any current outbreaks of MRSA.

The hospital boss who told the councillor there was "no problem" has apologised.

A spokesman for the hospital said the families connected with the unit have been kept fully informed and the hospital did not want to alarm the public before it knew which strain had been found.

Rineke Schram, medical director for East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "The neo natal unit will be re-opened once we are sure that all the babies are returning a negative result. We are confident this will be as soon as possible."

She said all efforts were being taken to ensure MRSA does not spread. She said staff wear a new apron and gloves each time they enter an individual baby's cot space which are discarded before donning a new set for the next baby.

Mrs Schram said: "Obviously hand washing remains a crucial part of everyone's routine, including visitors.

"We are also routinely screening all the babies on the unit to ensure no new cases have arisen."

MRSA organisms are often associated with patients in hospitals but can also be found on patients not in a hospital. Usually it is not necessary to do anything about MRSA organisms. However if MRSA organisms are passed on to someone who is already ill, then a more serious infection may occur in that individual. When patients with MRSA are discovered in a hospital, the hospital will usually try to prevent it from passing around to other patients. This is known as infection control.

ward3379 said:
MRSA organisms are often associated with patients in hospitals but can also be found on patients not in a hospital. Usually it is not necessary to do anything about MRSA organisms. However if MRSA organisms are passed on to someone who is already ill, then a more serious infection may occur in that individual. When patients with MRSA are discovered in a hospital, the hospital will usually try to prevent it from passing around to other patients. This is known as infection control.

when my sisters twins were in that baby unit last year at Blackburn Royal, (ill be giving birth there too), we had to take our coats off and scrub our hands before being allowed in.
i was talking to emma28 before, and she said, why do they not make us take our shoes off too? surely germs can be carried on the bottom of our shoes?

Kimbo said:
ward3379 said:

when my sisters twins were in that baby unit last year at Blackburn Royal, (ill be giving birth there too), we had to take our coats off and scrub our hands before being allowed in.
i was talking to emma28 before, and she said, why do they not make us take our shoes off too? surely germs can be carried on the bottom of our shoes?

the m r s a organism is carried in your nose are you going to take your nose off as well

ward3379 said:
Kimbo said:
ward3379 said:

the m r s a organism is carried in your nose are you going to take your nose off as well

Are you for real?!?!?

The removal of outdoor shoes is INFECTION CONTROL. The removal of your nose is a suggestion from some one has has little idea of what they are talking about...or who does not care.

In my opinion.

emma28 said:
ward3379 said:
Kimbo said:
ward3379 said:

Are you for real?!?!?

The removal of outdoor shoes is INFECTION CONTROL. The removal of your nose is a suggestion from some one has has little idea of what they are talking about...or who does not care.

In my opinion.

I do know what i am talking about i treat patients with these infections every day We use precautions with all our patients ie clean pinny and gloves for each patient not just the infected ones MRSA bacteria usually spread through person-to-person contact with someone who has an MRSA infection, or who is colonised by the bacteria. It can also spread through contact with towels, sheets, clothes, dressings or other objects that have been used by someone with MRSA. MRSA can also survive on objects or surfaces such as door handles, sinks, floors and cleaning equipment.Staphylococcus aureus (SA) is a type of bacteria. About 1 in 3 of us carries it on the surface of our skin or in our nose without developing an infection - this is known as being colonised by the bacteria. However, if SA bacteria get into the body through a break in the skin they can cause infections such as boils, abscesses, or impetigo. If they get into the bloodstream they can cause more serious infections.

You're preaching to the converted. I work in the health care sector and have had a baby in a neonatal unit too. What I said to Kim was that it is odd, all the other precautions people take whilst going in, but they do not make us change our outdoor shoes. When I go to work in a hospital, I have to change my shoes and clothes before I go onto a ward.
Obviously this is because MRSA is everywhere and can be brought onto wards via our shoes from the supermaket, the bus, wherever.

Alot of people have strong opinions on this....and possibly comments such as yours should be thought about first.

emma28 said:
You're preaching to the converted. I work in the health care sector and have had a baby in a neonatal unit too. What I said to Kim was that it is odd, all the other precautions people take whilst going in, but they do not make us change our outdoor shoes. When I go to work in a hospital, I have to change my shoes and clothes before I go onto a ward.
Obviously this is because MRSA is everywhere and can be brought onto wards via our shoes from the supermaket, the bus, wherever.

Alot of people have strong opinions on this....and possibly comments such as yours should be thought about first.
so each time you go on a ward you change your shoes and clothes you must have to carry a lot of spare ones lol :D :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

When theres other peoples poop in a hospital bed its not suprising the stuff people catch. I was disgusted when my grandad was in hospital, his bed had poo underneath it (not even his!), no one helped him eat so he was laid in food till we visited. The toilets had diarea all over the floors :shock: there were a room full of visiters and not a box of cleaning stuff in sight!

By the way my Grandad died too. What a lovely place to spend the last few weeks of your life eh. :(

ward3379 said:

This has been copied from www.link.med.ed.ac.uk/ridu/Mrsa.htm

Weird to copy if you know what you are talking about????

I do know what i am talking about i treat patients with these infections every day We use precautions with all our patients ie clean pinny and gloves for each patient not just the infected ones MRSA bacteria usually spread through person-to-person contact with someone who has an MRSA infection, or who is colonised by the bacteria. It can also spread through contact with towels, sheets, clothes, dressings or other objects that have been used by someone with MRSA. MRSA can also survive on objects or surfaces such as door handles, sinks, floors and cleaning equipment.Staphylococcus aureus (SA) is a type of bacteria. About 1 in 3 of us carries it on the surface of our skin or in our nose without developing an infection - this is known as being colonised by the bacteria. However, if SA bacteria get into the body through a break in the skin they can cause infections such as boils, abscesses, or impetigo. If they get into the bloodstream they can cause more serious infections.[/quote]

And most of this from cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/mrsa

:think: :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back