The arrival of our little man - 17/09/14

tinkerbell13

Reaction score
Here's my birth story. It's a little long....

During pregnancy I've had a lot of on off bleeding, an ectropion was eventually diagnosed.(just to give a bit of background info).
On Monday morning (15th) I went to the toilet and discovered yet more blood (def not show) so I called MAU who asked me to go straight in to be checked. I'd been woken up also at 5 am that same morning with mild contractions but they were so sporadic I didn't really think much of them.

So, we arrive at 8.30, urine tested, cervix checked (high and closed) confirmed just ectropion again. Put on trace which actually picked up contractions although quite far apart. I was told probably very early labour. However the doctor who examined me said that as I was overdue (40 weeks 5 days) she would need to speak to consultant to decide 'way forward'. As soon as this was said I just knew what was going to happen!

The doctor together with a midwife came back into the room to say that the consultant wants me induced today and gave me a leaflet about induction. I asked why when monitor showing baby happy and bleed due to ectropion?* They said that they will get consultant to come and discuss with us. When consultant came in she was very forceful and said that although the bleeding is most probably from ectropian she said that it may be placenta (no one had ever mentioned this before!) Anyway she said that as I was overdue and had previous bleeds they want baby out and want induction process started today (luckily we had bags in car).

One of the midwives said that she would examine me and give me a sweep, well this bloody hurt and no change in cervix, in fact she couldn't reach it! We were then admitted and given a room on a ward (very nice room) and told to wait for someone to collect me to be taken for 24 hour pessary. We only waited half hour before being taken for pessary,* this bit however was probably by far the worst bit of the whole process. I was told that the pessary needed to be inserted just behind my cervix but it wouldn't hurt! It literally felt like her whole hand was up there. Anyway after 3 attempts it was in. We then went back to room on ward. I sent hubby home at 9 ish to get some sleep and as nothing seemed to be happening however by 10.30ish I was getting regular contractions, by 12.30 they were very very painful and i was having 2 every 10 minutes lasting from 30 seconds to a minute. I was given paracetamol and some thing else (Tablet but don't know what) which did absolute nothing. After being put on trace and all fine with baby midwife asked if she could examine to see if anything had progressed.* Once again it was extremely painful and it took 2 midwives several attempts, with lots of gas and air, I was told that I was 4 cm and that I will be transferred to delivery suite

Was shown to the delivery suite and had 2 lovely midwives.I was put on a trace, baby happy, heart beat good.* Examined again,* still 4 cm. My waters were then broken (I heard this was painful but it was just slightly unconformtable). I'm not sure of the timescales here (looking at my notes I was in the first stage of labour for 23 hrs and 15 mins) but the contractions were coming thick and fast, 4/5 in 10 minutes. I'd wanted to be mobile when in labour so was fitted with wireless monitor which was great however every time a contraction hit the best position was lying on the bed on my left hand side with my husband rubbing my lower back (I was told that the contractions were even more painful as baby was back to back and because I'd been induced). Without the breathing techniques I'd learnt at hypnobirthing and gas and air I don't know how I'd have coped. then had another examination and was 6 cm but as I'd only gone 2 cm in a long time they would have to start hormone drip to get things going (by this stage contractions were back to 2/3 in 10 minutes but the intensity was a lot worse. Before labour I was adamant that I would never have an epidural. I thought yeah it'll hurt but I'll cope lol how wrong was I. I was told that the hormone drip would intensify contractions even more. I knew I couldn't bear that so asked for epidural (the reason I didn't want epidural was because of the risks I'd heard about etc but at that stage I really didn't care I was in too much pain) the anethatist was brilliant and was there in 2 minutes, he did it first time and it didn't hurt (the cannula in my hand hurt more). Once the epidural was working I was actually able to talk to my husband and midwives and regain some sort of control. I would definitely recommend an epidural and would definitely opt for it at an earlier stage next time. Anyway, I was put on trace, baby still happy, contractions on machine were massive but so bizarre to sit there watching machine but not feeling them. By this time there was a shift change, I requested the same 2 midwives from before (I had 2 as one was a student who was absolutely brilliant and supported both me and hubby).

Although things were progressing they were progressing very slowly.* I was told that my temperature had risen which could indicate a sign of infection which if not monitored could be harmful to me and baby, que lots of blood tests and another drip in arm. My temperature was taken every 20 minutes or so and remained high. At this point I was told that the Doctor who was looking after me would need to assess and make a plan as to what was done next. 2 doctors came into room and each examined me, I was found to be 8 cm.* I thought great were getting somewhere but they were not happy and said that on average it's taking 4-5 hours to increase 2 cm and this is very slow and due to temperature worried about me and baby. I was told that they would return in an hours time to see if I'd progresses any further.* When they came back I was examined and still only 8 cm. I was told quite forcefully that I needed to have a c section as risk to baby if not delivered soon. When asked what the risk was was told that looking at monitor baby happy but due to temperature it could mean that baby's temperature could be high and may need to be given antibiotics when born or need special attention.* I obviously didn't want to put baby at risk but I asked if it would be possible to have an extra hour to see if could make any more progression. The doctor agreed as baby not in immediate danger and said they will do this but if when they come back I am still 8 cm then they will do c section. I agreed. So an hour came and went, I was examined and had progressed but only to 9 cm :(.

A c section was my worst fear, and to be honest I don't know why I was soooo worried, looking back at my birth plan me and hubby have been laughing as out of the 12 bullet points the only thing we actually got was the bullet point about giving baby vitamin k injection. Anyway, we were prepped at top speed, apparantley suite really busy and wanted me in there ASAP, hubby given scrubs etc and told to wait outside whilst being prepped. I found this part scary as I have never had an operation before but I'd said how nervous I was and I had the student midwife holding my hand and another lady on my right talking to me about breathing techniques to calm me down.* The anthesist was brilliant too and he talked me through what was happening (I think he clearly thought I was mad!)* Hubby was sat to my left and looked super cute in red / purple scrubs! It went really fast and before I knew it they were holding baby out above curtain for us to see (he was dripping in blood and screaming). He was taken away by midwives, cleaned up, weighed and bought back to hubby to hold for duration of c section. He weighed 8 lbs 1oz and stopped crying as soon as was handed to daddy and we started talking to him. We were then taken to recovery,y temperature was taken and so was baby's,* we were both fine but I would require antibiotics. We were later moved to a ward. Baby and I were in hospital for a total of 4 days following birth and I found this really hard as I had to have catheter in for 24 hours and was basically stuck in bed, baby also had really bad mucus so was throwing up several times day and night so got hardly any sleep as worried he'd choke on it. Due to being stuck in bed I'd have to ring buzzer for midwife to pass baby to me which made me feel really helpless. The hospital staff were all fantastic and although I found the experience traumatic I'd go through it all over again!

Congratulations on your new arrival. I have decided that most of us september mummies have not had the birth we imagined. So pleased your lo arrived safely xx

Thank you crazycatlady! Yep, definitely not the birth I imagined but never mind.

Congratulations! Sounds very similar to my labour experience with my son, except I was lucky enough to get to 10cm before the c-section that almost happened. My baby had a cannula and I also had plenty of antibiotics.

Well done on getting through it all and delivering your baby safely :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back