• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Temperature help please URGENT

*Star*

Reaction score
amelia is very irritable, full of a cold and snotty.
i took her temperature in her ear with a thermometer and it varied from 37.4-38.1
but i think the thermometer is too big to fit in her ear canal properly.

i then used a digital thermometer tice under her arm and it came back with 37.4. am i right in saying that under the arm is between 1-2 degrees lower than what the actual temperature is.

Read NIE's post purple13 explains about underarm temp in there :hug:

(bear in mind that mouth/ear temp is the most accurate - underarm usually shows .3 - .5 degrees lower than actual)

it's the fact she's only 9 weeks old tomorrow.

ill go ring the dr i think

I'm a nursery nurse and if a child (especially under 2) gets a temp over 37.5 (underarm) we consult the parents straight away so they can deside if they wish to consult a doctor.

We get as much fluid in as possible, water obviously being the best. We also try to reduce the amount of clothing the child is wearing.

We keep checking the tempreture every 15 mins and keep a note of it incase the doctor asks.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

x

well i rung and asked if i could give her calpol, the receptionsist gave me the number for the pharmacist and he said that i can give her a 2.5 dose of calpol. i can give her a 2nd one after 4 hours but no more than that.

im keping her injust a nappy. she's breastfed so i'll feed her often.

shes not happyy, but ill see how she goes with his calpol.

thanks - ill check out that website now.

ok she had the calpol about 25 mins ago and she seems a lot cooler to the touch. going to try and get her to sleep now, hopefully a good nap will help.

thanks everyone :hug:

awww I hope shes ok... but with her being so tiny...if you have any worries...take her straight to A&E and don't feel guilty for "wasting" their time.. Thats what they are there for and they deal with drunks and druggies all the time... and your LO should be top priority... Just take her straight there... better to feel like a worrying fool than your baby to be very sick. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

porscia has got a cold and was very irratalbe yesterday... i took her temp and it was 39.4 i then gave her some calpol and 30 mins later it still had not cooled down... so i stripped her off and phoned nhs direct... they recommend not to consult a doctor unless the temp is 40 or above or they haven't past urine in 10 hrs.... he also told me to wet a cloth with room temp water and pat her with it every 15mins.. i did that and after 2 hrs.. her temp had come down to 38.2 stil high but nurse said as long as its between 37 and 39 not to panic.... she is a lot better this morning but nursse told me to keep giving her calpol for a couple of days to keep the fever away... she is stillsnotty but no fever.. this morning it was below 37 so feeling a lot more calm about her being ill

thanks everyone. in the end i didnt need to give her a 2nd dose of calpol. she is still snotty, but she is back to her happy smily self again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back