switching from sling to pushchair

Dragonfly Fi

Reaction score
Well Jasper is over a year now and i am 15 weeks pregnant and starting to feel my hips and pelvis soften. In my last pregnancy i suffered lots with SPD, Liam used to call me Quazimodo because i sort of shuffled around (isnt he lovely!)

so this time i have decided to get a decent, rear-facing pushchair for Jasper so that i can take some of the weight off my hips and back. We got it yesterday and all seemed to be going okay, but today i took him to Waitrose and he just cried and yelped and screamed all the way home :( He was obviously very uncomfortable being in the pushchair and i am worried its always going to be this difficult to wander about with him :(

Any tips on how to keep him entertained in there? I was thinking some sort of hanging toy, or perhaps chewy fruity bars (like school bars) but i dont know if i want to get into the habit of using food as a bribery thing!

any tips would be so gratefully received, thank you x

I dont think it will always be like that, I just think its something he'll just adapt to slowly. He's so used to having you or you OH so close that its probably a bit daunting at times.

I use the little ring toys things to clasp toys and books etc to the pram and Ill sing to her when we're walking along (yes I look a bit strange but she likes it lol). I always ask her what she can see and tell her the names of things we walk past, just keeping her amused really but sometimes she'll have an off day and wont like it but I find by tilting the pram so she's lying flat relaxes her, maybe you could try that?

Ill sometimes give my LO food in the pram as well but like you say, its more because its snack time and less giving it to amuse because I dont want to get into the food bribe thing either.

thanks for the reassurance, i did try and talk to Jasper about what we could see but he is very much not talking yet, he doesn't seem to understand what we say to him yet at all, there is little to no communication. So its very much a one way thing, and i suppose the problem with it being rear facing, is that we see different things the majority of the time. Perhaps i will try him facing out, though i really didnt want to do that at first as i thought it would be too hard going from on my back and seeing me at all times, to going into a buggy where he couldnt see me at all.

Perhaps that is something i am imposing on him though and he would prefer to see the world go by?

Oh its such a mine fiield! i am glad we are doing this early though, it means that when the new baby comes he will be comfortable with being in the buggy so i am glad we are working all these things out now.

I keep my LO rear facing as well. I feel a bit lost with her facing the other way when I use the small pram. At one point I thought the same as you, that it was me imposing the rear facing and maybe she just wanted to look around but I think she just went through a grouchy phase lol as she's fine with it now, and I actually think she prefers it.

Do you notice him looking at everyone behind you? I think it must be quite comforting to them that when they look around they can see everyone and interact with strange people but still have you in clear view, or at least thats what I tell myself to make myself feel better :blush:

It could just be an adjustment time for him, maybe keep him rear facing a little longer then maybe once in a while turn him round and Im sure he'll let you know which he prefers :)

Well took him into town, turned him round and he LOVED it basically... i am still really glad i got a dual facing buggy because we go to alot of festivals/night events and i want him to be able to see me at night when he is tucked up asleep :)

But he seemed really happy in there in the end. Which is good, i walked for maybe 4/5 miles today and dont feel like my hips are going to pop out, so its obviously doing the trick :)

thanks for the help AM x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back