SureStart playgroup/mum and baby group etc

Julie84

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if there is a more appropriate place!

I'm thinking ahead as this isn't applicable yet but I was just wondering if anybody had gone along to the Sure Start schemes that are run in some places?

We are not eligible for the grant or anything and I can't find anything on the Sure Start website about eligibility for the playgroups etc. I know one or two people who have been to Sure Start groups and they seem to be eligible based purely on their postcode - unfortunately they live under a different council so not sure if the same applies to me.

From the website there appears to be a Sure Start scheme locally to me but the website is so useless I can't even really tell what is available or most importantly if we would even be eligible. I'd really like to do the Sure Start groups as I may just be able to find the money to attend as they are fairly heavily subsidised - I know we won't be able to attend any other mother and baby groups or baby gyms etc as we are really struggling for money (I was the main breadwinner by quite a way so SMP is fairly catastrophic to us as a family!)

Thank you for any information/advice you might be able to give. :hug:

The groups run by sure start are usually free. It used to be the case that you could only attend if you lived in their catchment area. However since changing to children's centres anyone should be able to go, you just need to ring them up and ask for a timetable. Your midwife should be able to tell you where your nearest one is if you don't already know. Hope this helps.

Our SureStart centre is for all children under 5 and there is no charge. Why not go in and see whats on offer. Ours has a weekly timetable and we go to two groups a week there.

i soooo look forward to sure start everyweek, Isla gets two hours in the playroom and i get two in the mums room getting some alternative therapy or another, learning reflexology or just having a coffee and a winge...

Dont know if its the same in England as sure start in scotland does not recieve government funding so is purely funded by donations and tonnes of wee grants. This means that space is limited so places are given on referral usually by the HV for cases of PND, babies with health problems, mums that are VERY new to the area etc

Hope you get a chance to go, they offer all sorts of free advice benefits, work etc and can even get you on funded education programmes to learn new skills whilst you're on MAT leave! they even provide the childcacre for you to attend.

I live in a fairly small village on the outskirts of Edinburgh and could do a different free baby activity daily all within 10 miles.

Ooh brilliant - thank you very much everyone. :hug:

I think my nearest children's centre is opposite my doctors surgery so will pop in when I see the midwife.

You've really cheered me up. :D

I normally go to a breastfeeding drop in every other week at mine. They also do baby massage classes although there has been such a demand that we are still on the waiting list after 2 months.

Hope you both have fun at yours :)

Ours are all free too! When Brody was tiny we went to wiggle and giggle he LOVEd it! Now we go to the stay and play sessions and it's brilliant! It always wears hime out too! :lol:

We have a sure start coordinator that comes out to your home and discusses what is on in your area and signs you up for stuff, I was put off ours as she said it would be great to have 'an educated mother figure from another walk or life' for the other mums :shock: I still dont know if that was a compliment or insult :lol: Plus Im back at work sooner rather than later and will have enough to miss without making friends/enjoying something else I have to give up :(

aramintalovegrove said:
We have a sure start coordinator that comes out to your home and discusses what is on in your area and signs you up for stuff, I was put off ours as she said it would be great to have 'an educated mother figure from another walk or life' for the other mums :shock: I still dont know if that was a compliment or insult :lol: Plus Im back at work sooner rather than later and will have enough to miss without making friends/enjoying something else I have to give up :(

Interesting you should say that! I live in Washington, which is quite a poor area so there are quite a few Government initiatives here, including Sure Start. When I was pregnant a Sure Start coordinator came to the house and told me all about the facilities and courses. I am glad she did. I didn't think I would be eligible. I go to lots of Sure Start things, it is great to have free things to go to as money doesn't go far when you have a baby. However, I do find that most of the groups and classes are mainly used by people from more affluent and/or educated backgrounds rather than families with less income or education. Don't get me wrong, I don't care who goes, I have made lots of friends of all different backgrounds. It is just that the Government's main thinking behind Sure Start was to help give children from disadvantaged families a more equal start in life. I have always wondered why they don't come along to all the free things, I am worried that they have been, but get put off by all the plummy, yummy mummies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back