Sun Care

Ellied

Reaction score
I feel like the worst Mum alive. At the weekend we went for a picnic in the park. It was an overcast day and Charlie had a hat on jic. He still got burnt on his face. We ended up in hospital as it blistered and his eye got very swollen.

I have been told that you can not use sun cream until they are 6 months. Charlie turns 4 months on Friday. I am worried about going out now and was wondering if you had any ideas or similar experiences.

Didn't want to just read and leave... but I don't have any advice.

Hope your LO is ok.

I'd be interested in any responses tho, as what the hell are you supposed to do up to 6months if you can't use cream? Are we supposed to kepp em inside until then. I've already bought some factor 40 for my LO - but will have to go read the label now :?

I had a babycare sun cream for mine and it didn't say anything about not being able to use it before 6 months. This is a special baby one by Solait and its spf 50+.

I've never heard of not being able to use suncream before 6 months!?

We've got a factor 50 which says its for use for babies and toddlers.. doesn't specify an age range....

im gonna have to check the stuff i rbought now too ! hubby is fair skinned so were presuming leland will be the same and burn easy :?

well it was the doctor who said no cream for under 6 months. Some baby creams have no age details on and others say not under 6 months. Mothercares baby sun cream says not under 6 months.

I think it is concern that the baby would be covered in cream allowing the skin not to breath. I just want to use a lil on his face and use clothes to protect the rest of his body.

Reading the latest american studies they say it is now ok for under 6 months but to use as little as possible.

i'd just keep them in the shade with an umbrella or hat? some creams can be used from birth. i'll dig out the one we brought for Alana it says its suitabel from birth

paradysso said:
i'll dig out the one we brought for Alana it says its suitabel from birth

oo, please could you let us know - i'm going to spain in a few weeks and i'll need something for connor... the ones in boots said not for under 6 months...

paradysso said:
i'd just keep them in the shade with an umbrella or hat? some creams can be used from birth. i'll dig out the one we brought for Alana it says its suitabel from birth

That would be great to know. Charlie had a hat on and it was overcast. I guess he is just so fair.

Thanks in advance for the name.

i have just done a bit of reasearch and it says 6 months plus as a legal requirement because the goverment say that babies under 6 months shouldnt be in direct sunlight but from what i read the suncream is safe

Under 6months it's just best to keep them out of the sun, Isaac was born in June and we managed it somehow :lol: A hat and a shade, just thin cotton clothing so their skin can breath well :hug: Then after 6months they should have a SPF of 50 up until around the age of 12 I think it is. Really hope Charlie's doing well too :hug: :hug: :hug: Very best wishes :hug:

I couldnt find it but asked my mum as she brought it, but she brought it out in Gibraltar so may not of come under the same laws as here :?

but i found this out...

Now they recommend:

"For babies under six months of age, sunscreen may be used on small areas of the body such as the face and the back of the hands if adequate clothing and shade are not available. For older children, test the sunscreen on the baby's back for a reaction before applying it all over. Apply carefully around the eyes, avoiding the eyelids. If your baby rubs sunscreen into her eyes, wipe the eyes and hands clean with a damp cloth. If the sunscreen burns her eyes, try a different brand or try a sunscreen stick or sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide."

There are two very important reasons for not overusing sunscreen in young babies:

1. Infants and children have what is called a high body surface to volume ratio. What this means is that proportionately babies have more skin for the size body as compared to an adult. Sunscreens are made of chemicals. On the older child and adult, the chemical exposure is relatively minimal because the body surface ratio is smaller than a baby. Therefore, babies get a higher "dose" of sunscreen than do those older. While this exposure would most likely not cause any problems, the likelihood of an adverse reaction is greater.

2. Babies have a mildly impaired mechanism to keep cool by sweating. In addition, they have a greater risk of becoming dehydrated due to heat. Sunscreen can somewhat impair effective cooling by perspiration, so placing it on an infant could be detrimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back