Struggling :-( Colic?

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sam was an angel for the first 2weeks... feeding every 3 hours like clockwork, and then sleeping or keeping himself occupied in between.
However, in the last week it's all gone pear shaped. I'm guessing it's colic as it's at the same time every day (from about 2.30pm till about 5.30pm) he has unbelievable frantic crying bouts to the point where nothing at all will stop him and I'm pulling my hair out - and I am known as a calm person. He's screwing his face up and wriggling his legs in pain. I've started using infacol for the last 3 days but there is still no improvement. He has a bottle of express milk at 10.30pm and sleeps well till about 3am, but after that feed although he's not crying he's spends the next three hours grunting in pain again.

Can anyone offer any advice/or confirm that it does sound like colic?

Thanks all,
lisa

xxx

Sounds pretty much like what happened to us. We used infacol but it did take a week or so to show real effects. During the day try things like gently massaging his tummy, giving him a bath and keeping him upright for a while after a feed to allow the wind to go up easier.

It's awful, I can totally empathise but it does get better and they do grow out of it :hug:

Tummy rubbing does usually help with our lad. Are there any baby massage sessions where you are? That really helps, but the jist of it is gentle but firm clockwise rubs of the tummy (clockwise coz apparently that the way intestins run).

It'll get better. ((hug))

Sound like my LO...and i'm guessing colic too. I can't offer any different advice from what the others have said...just sympathy cos I know wot you're going through. :hug:

Colic is a horrible thing to deal with. You'd think that since so many babies suffer with it, someone out there would have come up with a cure LOL.

Anyway, it does get better. For us it took til 12 weeks - we were brave at that point and stopped using the Infacol. Infaol can take up to a week to work so keep on with it. Warm baths and all the other things others have said are always worth a try.

Good luck xxxx

Thanks for your support ladies. Today is a better day so far - am off to buy more infacol! Think ysterday was a bd day for me when writing the post as it poured all day so I was a prisoner (can't drive after c-section).
Thanks again

L xxx

Wow you are me one week ago! My Sam was also born by c-section (emergency)
5 weeks ago and we have been suffering with lots of crying/unsettledness for the last few weeks.
Things seem alot better in the last couple of days though, we tried infacol, colief, cranial osteopathy,
breastfeeding wasn't going well with Sam being really unsettled during/after feeds, so we're onto formula now
(feel dreadfully guilty about this tho) and C&G comfort milk seems to have done the trick, or it could be the
cranial osteopathy (she said he has very stiff neck and is uncomfortable because of it). Either way he seems a
bit more settled each day.
Good luck with your Sam, i didn't believe everyone when they told me it would get better but now I'm starting to!
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Ahh, thanks for your reply...we have matchings sons lol!

I've got an appointment on Monday with a baby chiropractor and then a back up appt with a cranial oesteopath on friday if monday doesn't work!

L xx

I read on here before i think it was tillytots? that lifting their left arm above their head help release any trapped wind. ha i thought that was crazy but when i tried ky burps every time! :shock: wish id known that when he was suffering from colic!

Other than that, none of the medicines worked for me so it was over my shoulder and just comforting him while he cried and trying to get all his wind up, rubbing and patting his back. A warm bath use to relax him and if he kicked his legs loads he always seemed to burp whe he got out of the bath.

Ahh, thanks for your reply...we have matchings sons lol!

I've got an appointment on Monday with a baby chiropractor and then a back up appt with a cranial oesteopath on friday if monday doesn't work!

Let me know how you get on hun...I just re read your original post and your Lo's symptoms are exactly the same as my Lo's...we have a couple of hours late afternoon in pain and she starts again in the middle of the night around 3am thrashing around in pain, grunting and crying!! (usually lasts until 4.30/am) I've tried lots of the medicines but nothing is working :( I hate seeing my LO in pain ans the fact that she will grow out of it in 8 weeks doesn't make me feel any better cos it seems ages away :(

Sound's exactly like ryan. He started getting colic at about 6 week's old and still has it now. I really find massaging his tummy anti clockwise really really help's! I do it at every nappy change and also a deep warm bath help's. I didn't find infacol very good but i swear by dentinox! Its amazing stuff! Ryan has his screaming time from about 9pm till around 11 and it is really hard coping with them screaming and you can't do anything to settle them. I hate being on my own every evening when he has it to because you just feel like giving them to someone for 5 minutes while you go and scream into a pillow! Lol x

littlepip said:
Sound's exactly like ryan. He started getting colic at about 6 week's old and still has it now. I really find massaging his tummy anti clockwise really really help's! I do it at every nappy change and also a deep warm bath help's. I didn't find infacol very good but i swear by dentinox! Its amazing stuff! Ryan has his screaming time from about 9pm till around 11 and it is really hard coping with them screaming and you can't do anything to settle them. I hate being on my own every evening when he has it to because you just feel like giving them to someone for 5 minutes while you go and scream into a pillow! Lol x

You might find that massaging the tummy clockwise is even better hun as this is the direction that the food moves around the colon. But like you say, it can be very helpful in relieving colic.

:hug: :hug: Evie got bad colic too but it does get better- she'll be 11 weeks on Wednesday and I think she's almost gotten rid of the nasty belly ache she got every evening- I don't dare stop the Infacol yet though!

Infacol worked for us- and also a warm bath to ease her stomach a bit. A dummy also helped but thats up to you, or course.

How's it Going? xx

Moomum said:
littlepip said:

You might find that massaging the tummy clockwise is even better hun as this is the direction that the food moves around the colon. But like you say, it can be very helpful in relieving colic.

oh i was told by the midwife that it was anti clockwise! maybe ill have to look it up as maybe she was wrong then! :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back