Is this ok?

ishah2124

Reaction score

Right, I'm expressing my milk to give you my son.
For the past 2 weeks, (it's probably colic) he's been pushing, stressing and continuously moving and grunting. He seems better when I lay him on his belly or have him over my shoulder as in chest to chest..he seems at peace but other than that if I lay him down in cot/car seat/bed or anywhere else he grunts and moves and goes red all the time and starts crying.
Iv'e checked my diet (I do however, have a glass or 2 of fizzy drink( pepsi ) a day.

Iv'e given him infacol/colic drops/gripe water and nothing seems to be helping. He doesn't go a whole minute without grunting and moving. Infact, he wakes me up my grunting every night and morning

I took him to my GP and they pretty much said they can't do anything and that it just sounds like colic and babies have it. It's just getting so much he's doing it more and more. I haven't seen him deep sleep for at least a week an a half. It gets upsetting

Just my mum was speaking to me not long ao and she said that I useto be the same and that I had some special milk from the hospital and that she couldn't breastfeed me because I had some other problems too. (also it was something to do with her milk that she could not breastfeed any of her children as they wouldn't settle with it So, since last night iv'e been giving him aptimil, I obviously won't see any dramatic changes in one day but I'm going to give aptimil for a few days and see if it makes a difference, I started giving him aptimil since last night, is this alright?

if he is taking the milk fine hun then its ok, you can get comfort milk if he gets really bad, I tried my little boy on it and wasted my money as he didn't like it, it is dead thin and you can really pre make the bottles :(

My son was really bad with colic at one point he slept in his swing for a few hours to give me some peace. Sorry to say but you might have to ride it out. My son still gets wind now I have to burp him at night before I put him down, not so much during the day he burps fine on his own as he will sit up and play etc.

I'd say to keep expressing meanwhile.just incase. Also go back to Dr and get them to do something! Have u tried putting a pillow under the matresses?that also helps too x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Have you tried cutting dairy out of your diet? I've heard some babies can be lacto intolerant from breast milk, might be worth a try esp if your mum also had probs with you when you were a baby. Also have you tried propping his cradle up a bit so he's not so flat and baby massage?

Im expressing my milk for him
He had aptimil last night but kept throwing it up so now i just went out n got sma gold

shall i give him a little bit by bit or straight up 4 or whatever ounces.

shall I give him my milk and that one?

The thing I would like an answer for (please) would be..

Could this be my milk affecting him, should I try this SMA gold on it's own for a few days see if he stops doing this grunting and restlessness all the time or is it not my milk?

orrr should I just combine feed him..from the bottle my milk and SMA. I do have enough milk at the moment but I don't wanna just bang it down on him (sma) when I dont have enough so i want to slowly get him useto SMA at the same time.

How do I do this?:)

Thanks girls so much :)

Think I would just stick with the breast milk as it's made esp for baby and less likely to make them sick than formula. He won't be used to formula so it will make him sick if you give him too much at once. Your body should produce enough if you let him feed on demand and drink plenty, if you give formula too as a top up you milk supply will drop further. I thought i had no milk the otner night as he was feeding on off for 6 continous hours and i didnt feel like uch was there, the next day though i ended up with loads! I think they just send messages to your body and what will be needed in future so suckle anyway. How old is your little one?

Think I would just stick with the breast milk as it's made esp for baby and less likely to make them sick than formula. He won't be used to formula so it will make him sick if you give him too much at once. Your body should produce enough if you let him feed on demand and drink plenty, if you give formula too as a top up you milk supply will drop further. I thought i had no milk the otner night as he was feeding on off for 6 continous hours and i didnt feel like uch was there, the next day though i ended up with loads! I think they just send messages to your body and what will be needed in future so suckle anyway. How old is your little one?
Thing isssss i'm expresing hun i'm not breastfeeding directly.

Have you tried other bottles, those ones that are supposed to give less wind?

OK....firstly you need to stop doing all this to the baby......you need to establish a few things rather than just trying to feed him more.

Breastfed babies tend to want to be at the breast all the time - but they are not always taking milk....they often suckle for comfort and do not take milk. As you baby is bottle fed expressed milk you may find that he is not actually hungry but wanting to suck for comfort and you are overfeeding him. You need to speak to your Health visitor or pop along to a breastfeeding group if there is one near you and speak with them. Myabe try a dummy also (it will take him a while to except it)
My daughter had a few bottles of expressed milk when younger and at 1 month old I am almost certain she never took more than 2.5oz and she was a little chunk.

As for the colic - being unsettled and crying etc. It could just be colic and the fact he does not like letting go of his wind. But it could also be an intolerance to something you are drinking or eating. Even the caffiene in your glass of Pepsi could unsettle their tummy.
I took my daughter to the doctors and Health visitor explaining about her being unsettled and screaming for unnaturally long periods of time with a pained scared look on her face and they passed it off as colic. I tried everything on the market for colic and nothing worked. My last resort was to attend breastfeeding group and have her latch checked - the midwife there advised there was nothing wrong with her latch and that she would reccomend we rule out food intolerances - the first one being dairy as so many adults let alone babies are sensitve to dairy. Within 3 days she was a totaly different baby.

I knew it was not colic as I went thru something similar when I had my son 12 years previously, all they told me was that it was lactose and I would have to stop breatfeeding and give him milk only perscribed by a Doctor.

What i am trying to say is go back and pester the doctor, see the Health visitor, go to breast feeding group do whatever you need to do to get some advice and help relevant to your baby!

But please do not keep swapping formula's and trying things randomly. If it is a dairy or lactose intolerance then the formula you are giving will make him very uncomfortable.

Please let us know how you both get on :flower:

OK....firstly you need to stop doing all this to the baby......you need to establish a few things rather than just trying to feed him more.

Breastfed babies tend to want to be at the breast all the time - but they are not always taking milk....they often suckle for comfort and do not take milk. As you baby is bottle fed expressed milk you may find that he is not actually hungry but wanting to suck for comfort and you are overfeeding him. You need to speak to your Health visitor or pop along to a breastfeeding group if there is one near you and speak with them. Myabe try a dummy also (it will take him a while to except it)
My daughter had a few bottles of expressed milk when younger and at 1 month old I am almost certain she never took more than 2.5oz and she was a little chunk.

As for the colic - being unsettled and crying etc. It could just be colic and the fact he does not like letting go of his wind. But it could also be an intolerance to something you are drinking or eating. Even the caffiene in your glass of Pepsi could unsettle their tummy.
I took my daughter to the doctors and Health visitor explaining about her being unsettled and screaming for unnaturally long periods of time with a pained scared look on her face and they passed it off as colic. I tried everything on the market for colic and nothing worked. My last resort was to attend breastfeeding group and have her latch checked - the midwife there advised there was nothing wrong with her latch and that she would reccomend we rule out food intolerances - the first one being dairy as so many adults let alone babies are sensitve to dairy. Within 3 days she was a totaly different baby.

I knew it was not colic as I went thru something similar when I had my son 12 years previously, all they told me was that it was lactose and I would have to stop breatfeeding and give him milk only perscribed by a Doctor.

What i am trying to say is go back and pester the doctor, see the Health visitor, go to breast feeding group do whatever you need to do to get some advice and help relevant to your baby!

But please do not keep swapping formula's and trying things randomly. If it is a dairy or lactose intolerance then the formula you are giving will make him very uncomfortable.

Please let us know how you both get on :flower:
No no I havent tried anything my healthcare v knew about aptimil and that she said top it up after bf if hes hungry thats why. I told my midwife that he has that much milk she said if he keeps it in and doesnt be sick all the time it's fine. So I guess thats just how mcuh he drinks? He does take milk out but not as in sick lots..she said its normal for him to take milk out after. thats fine.

Ahhhh I see!!

Oh My God I was so worried lol Thank you for clearing that up!

Well in all fairness hun if the HV said it's OK and she knows how much he takes then I would not be worried!

As for other peole saying it's too much....every baby is different and as above the HV knows whats going on so I would rather follow that advice than strangers on a forum....

Yeah all babies bring a little milk up it's fine....it's when tey bring half the feed or all the feed up that you worry.

I can't give any advice in combi feeding but I know there are a few ladies on here who have successfully done it - hopefuly they will find this thread and come say Hi

Ahhhh I see!!

Oh My God I was so worried lol Thank you for clearing that up!

Well in all fairness hun if the HV said it's OK and she knows how much he takes then I would not be worried!

As for other peole saying it's too much....every baby is different and as above the HV knows whats going on so I would rather follow that advice than strangers on a forum....

Yeah all babies bring a little milk up it's fine....it's when tey bring half the feed or all the feed up that you worry.

I can't give any advice in combi feeding but I know there are a few ladies on here who have successfully done it - hopefuly they will find this thread and come say Hi

aw thanks for taking the time to help :) much appreciated

No prob hun!

I hope you find some answers - it's horrible watching your baby be unsettled and feeling helpless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back