Stopping breast feeds

Monkey

Reaction score
E will be 1 next month and I have always said that I would stop bfing at 1, it's just become too painful with her biting and ripping at my nipples.

How do I go about stopping breast feeds? She wakes between 1-2 times in the night for feeds still, though occasionally will go all night without a feed, though still wakes. She will feed first thing in the morning, last thing at night and sometimes once at lunchtime too. Trouble we have is she wont take a bottle and drinks hardly any from any of her cups. HV isn't concerned with her milk intake as she has loads of dairy, but I still feel that if I stop bfing then I will have to replace that amount.

I'm so lost with what to do or how to progress past it and OH isn't helpful at all, just says nothing he can do :(.

i think if you just stop then she will drink when she gets thirsty, it may be hard at first but if she is capable of drinking out of a cup then its just that she prefers to bf and if you really want to stop you just have to ride out the battle of wills til she capitulates nad does what you want her to.

K is nearly 1 too and Im back at uni now so I just expressed some milk and left it with oh in the bottle and surprisingly after all this time of refusing bottles he took it! Im guessing it was because he was thirsty and knew I wasn't there, so maybe try cup or bottle with you not there at first. I don't plan to stop yet but was worried about him not getting anything when I have a long day. I've also cut down on one of his day time feeds by just not offering, although he's feeding just now as I type due to not being well today!

How's about adding some extra milk or water to her food, so you know she's getting plenty of fluid.

Also, what types of cup have you tried? Have you tried a doidy cup?

I stopped at 14 months, first I just offered water at night, sometimes he took it and others he didn't but after a few nights slept through, then at bed time I took him with me while I made his milk in a cup, while it was warming I told him that mummy's milk had all gone and his milk now is in a cup, he nodded and when we went to his bed he drank it while I read him a story, had no problems at all. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you x

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have tried her with different types of sippy cups, a doidy and one of our cups even.

Today I didn't offer her any boobie feeds, I just gave her one of her cups with some milk and she seemed to take it better than usual. She had 200mls which is about 150 more than I can usually get her to drink from a cup. I still worry she wont get enough but hopefully time will tell. I will still offer her a boobie feed before bed and once during the night until I have her on a cup during the day properly. I feel so mean though.

Oh and she still wont take a bottle so no good there :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back