Stiring at 4.30am...

bethanyann

Reaction score
Hi girls.

Up until 2 nights ago, E was falling asleep on us at about 7.45, then we were giving her a bath and putting her to bed with a final feed when we went up - about 10.30ish. I know some people may find this bad, but it worked so well for us and up until 3/4 weeks ago, she would sleep 10.45pm - 9am, and we wouldn't hear a peek out of her all night.

3/4 weeks ago, she started stiring at 4.30am. Not fully waking up, but throwing her head all over the place and grunting, and nothing stops her, unless I pick her up and bring her into bed with us, then she calms instantly - like magic, she is snoring within seconds. She would then wake for the day at 7am.

Anyway, two nights ago, we decided to put her to bed at 7.45pm. So she's had her same routine, but is just in bed when she falls asleepp the 1st time, rather than needing to be woken up later. So she has now been sleeping from 8pm, rather than 10.45pm - and she is STILL stiring at bang on 4.30am.

I had thought maybe she couldn't sleep more than 6ish hours without stiring, but obviously last night she did 8. As I say, she never actually wakes, so she's not hungry, even when she wakes at 7am, she doesn't have a bottle for an hour or so.

Do any of you have any ideas what this could be?! Too hot, too cold?! I know I'm SO lucky with how amazingly she sleeps, I'm not moaning at all...I just don't want her to get into the habit of coming into our bed, so wondering what I could do to try and help her.

Thanks so much!

x

Is it when the sun rises? Or when the temperature drops in her room? Not sure what else to suggest xx

amelia has done this and is just dropping it off stated at 4 then its gone to 5 i just put dummy in and that settles her x

j has started stirring at 5.45 for some reason but being wide awake. he used to got to bed at 7 with a quick 'top up' feed at 11 ish andthen normally sleep till 7 (if it was 6.30 then we coud put the mobile on give him some toys and he would play etc until 7.) when the sun started to rise earlier he would wake earlier and so we sellotaped bin bags against the windo so it would help and it did. Howeve i think now the sun is coming up earlier and obvs becomes brighter earlier then its waking him up earlier etc,,,,,,,, as someone suggested have you tried putting black up blinds>> might be a phase until they readjust to the timing etc???
///1
all i know was that 'blinds' helped.....but we're due for an uprade!

I'm not sure either Hun! My lo used to do 8ish til 7.30ish. Gone are those days! He nos ties at 12ish for dummy. And then is awake at 4.45. For a month! I'm going doo lally! I bought a black out blind... Still does it. Tried window open, window shut etc. Yup nothing works for him. So I'm praying it's a phase he will soon get out of! Especially since a few others seem to be doing this I'm hoping it's maybe a growth spurt thing? X

Hey hun, my Lo does this, goes to bed at 7 then sleeps til 4:30 but without fail he will start shuffling. He will whine and moan but he isn't awake, its so frustrating when we can't work out what's wrong. We have got to the point where we just let him whinge it out, he isn't crying or fully awake and still in our room so we check his bedcovers are ok and leave him to it hoping its just a faze... been going on for about 3 weeks now!

Thanks girls, it's so annoying isn't it! I just feel bad for her because she obviously is just struggling in her sleep. Will try a black out blind. I'm also concidering putting another blanket on her when she stirs tonight to see if she's just cold. Kay126 - when you leave your bubba, does he go back to sleep, or cry? I always just panic that E will get herself into a right state!! xx

He has never started crying, he will whine and whinge for up to half hour but he always goes back to sleep, aside from putting him in our bed nothing stops him x

Thanks so much, that's really helpful! I might try to just block it out and leave her to it tonight and see if she self settles. I just jump to her so quickly. She went through a stage of settling on her own without a dummy, then just suddenly stopped and would cry a bit so I'd instantly give it to her. When I put her to bed tonight, I didn't give it to her, and prepared myself for a long night of up and down the stairs. She cried for honestly less than 10 seconds and then fell asleep - leaving me wondering why on earth it had taken me 2 months to get her to sleep without it!! So I'll give the leaving her when she stirs this morning a try too and see how it goes. Thanks so much! xx

Ollie does exactly the same thing and we cant figure it out either, its soooo frustrating! He wakes at about 4am, starts thrashing about and moaning and we used to get up to settle him with his dummy but would be up and down for about half and hour putting the blinkin dummy back in but we got fed up of this so we just let hime settle himself so long as he doesnt get all worked up and start crying. Thought it was hunger so we make sure he has plenty of milk during the day and it seems to be 'slowly' improving, he stirred from 5ish this morning and lasted til 6.30 then had a bottle and back down til 7.40am

growth spurt? Campbell has done this every 4 weeks or so consistantly. It is a sign I use now to up his feeds. Weaning him has helped dramatically. Does she cry at 4.30 or just fuss? xx

Hey hun, how have u been getting on lately? My LO seems to be growing out of this, 3 out of last 5 nights he has slept through 7 til 6 without waking and still self settling the other two nights, don't know if it was just a faze or if leaving him to it when he wakes has let him teach himself there's no point waking iykwim?x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back