• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Staying in London

lea m

Reaction score
Can somebody help me please! :pray:
Im planning a weekend trip to London for me, OH and kiddies!
I have no idea wheres is the best place to base ourselves?! Can somebody help me?! London looks so confusing lol!

i wanna go london next year.

i think ill camp in slough like i did when we went to legoland earlier this month and take the underground into london.

maybe you could go in a travel lodge in slough and do the same lea or one of those PREMIER lodges offer free child places. :)

what's your budget?

lastminute.com do the best deals or a local coach company- then you won't have to pay petrol.

:wave: I'm right near to London :D

depends what you want to see when you're there, whether you like the tube or would sooner avoid it like the plague (like me :)) and what your budget is.

i'm in sw london and i also used to book hotels in town as part of my job - let us all know your plans and i'm sure we can advise :D

www.tripadvisor.co.uk is great for checking out potential accomodation, i use it all the time.

Thankyou all so much!
Budge Im going to google slough! I dont even know where that is :oops: Premier inn!! That was the name I was trying to think of before! I was asking OH whats the name of that hotel thats on the tv haha

Jade, Im going to check out lastminute.com now! i didnt even think of looking at a travel agents! Dont think I could cope with a coach! lol But the train maybe!! :think:

Purple13 great idea with tripadvisor! thanks! :D
I have no idea whether I would like the tube or avoid it lol!
My budget is just like average priced kwim? I cant stand to pay more for hotels when I can get them cheaper etc but dont really want a bug infested place either haha But yeh no I dont need like the Ritz or anything! :D

i haven't checked their reviews out on tripadvisor, so not sure what they're like, but there are several premier inn's in the city centre.

county hall & tower bridge would both be good places to stay as there are things to do in the immediate area without having to travel (county hall is on the southbank by the london eye, and tower bridge is obv next to the tower of london & tower bridge); from county hall you can walk to most places in the city (covent garden, trafalgar square, tate modern are much more are all in walking distance).

:D

Thankyou!! :D
Just checked it out! Will cost me £470 for 2 nights! Could go back to Rome for that hahaha
Well I had no idea of the prices and if thats what they are then not much we can do about it is there lol!
I will keep looking etc for good deals but as I know nothing of London and where all the things to visit are I think I will be asking you guys!! :D :oops: (if thats ok!?)

Ooh thanks for the link!! :D
Is the tube ok!? Why do people hate it? Is it always busy!? Im just asking as I will have the kiddies with me!

It depends when you use it, and what lines your using but generally speakin its prettty busy, but more or less everything is in london and other than the bus which is just as busy theres not alot of other ways to get around, but once your in the centre you can walk to most places :) I quite liked the tube, was exciting !!! Til morning sickness, and then it got a bit traumatic lol

I would prob recommendv- stay in a travel inn type hotel on outskirts of London. Look at a train map not just tube of London and outskirts. most train journeys from outer london go into london chring cross/london bridge which have tube stations linked to them and train journeys are about half hour. (depends where you stay)
If you go in to town after half nine, it will be cheaper and less busy. Leave by half four to avoid rush hour, or stay later and leave about 7/8pm to avoid commuters.

Depend what you want to do.

here are some good links.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... es-map.pdf

Good luck with it all.

x x x

i have a personal hatred of the tube, but that's cos i had to commute on it for a while. a couple of years stuck under someone's sweaty armpit for 45 minutes twice a day is enough to put anyone off :lol:

beatlesfan's (and budge's) advice is good - look at staying on the outskirts of town, possibly somewhere with a good train link? i live between putney & wimbledon and a train ride from either of these into waterloo/victoria is only 15/20 minutes. we stayed in epsom when our flat had building work done, and that was only a 30 minute journey into waterloo/victoria on a mainline train.

keep asking if you want any more info :D

It all depends on where you want to be close to. Personally, if I was on a budget I'd stay away from central London. Even some of the cheaper Thistles are expensive. I'd look for a nice area outside of the center that has good transport links. I live in Wimbledon, Wimbledon is a particularly good place to be, it has nice cheap hotels and is only 10 minutes outside of Waterloo on the train. It's also a lovely place to base yourself as it has plenty of restaurants, shops and attractions.

This is a good place: http://www.hotelsinwimbledon.com/
They have two or three hotels, one is on the Ridgeway which is close to the tube and trainline. Prices from about £35 a night and the rooms are nice.

If you need somewhere central or have a few extra quid to blow then let me know, I know lots of hotels all over the place, If you really want to treat yourself then this is my favourite: http://www.hotelsinwimbledon.com/

But it does cost a bit :)

Oh and as for places to visit with the kids, there are so many!! Jsut in case you're inetrestersed theese are off the top of my head:

London Dungeons
Madame Tussauds
Tower of London
Natural History museum
London Zoo
London Aquarium
Science Museum
London eye

Of course there are all the theater shows, The Lion King is especially good but needs to be booked in advance really.

My little one is due shortly, I can't wait till he/she is old enough so I can travel round London every week going to all these places. :)

Definately take the kids to the natural history museum and the science museum- THEY ARE GREAT! and free! the science museum has an imax cinema if you want to treat them :wink:

Madame Tussauds, Tower of London etc are expensive.

When you get to London buy an Oyster card- they cost £3 but it'll save you a fortune. Plus the £3 is refundable if you hand the card back.

:)

Just don't feed them in the natural history museum :) £5 for a sandwich, £3 for a drink and £2 for a packet of crisps :) Honestly, take your own food or you'll need a mortgage to pay for lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back