• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Statutory Sick Pay *UPDATED AGAIN 28/2 PG2*

Princess_Puddles

Reaction score
Does anyone know generally how much it is?

Ive been signed off work and I know you dont get your full wage amount but ive been paid £27...Now that doesn't seem right to me when I get over £200 more than that a week anyway??

Please help, im in such a pickle here

i think it goes by how many hours a week you do....that does seem very little though...a woman where i work doe 17.5 hours a week and is getting £10 a week ssp :shock: do you not get company sick pay first?
Best way to do it is ring you company pay roll department and ask them to tell you exactly how it works
Good luck getting it sorted :hug:

Thanks hun. I don't have a company payroll person, the company I work for its just 3 of us in an office and I would have to speak to my boss, she's a right cow so I dont really want t. Also I do 37hrs a week

Another question:
Can I be sacked whilst off sick?

Also does it seem right to you that I had 4 days off work, one week and then 4 days two weeks later and cause of that she didnt pay me for anymore time I had off :?

Princess_Puddles said:
Thanks hun. I don't have a company payroll person, the company I work for its just 3 of us in an office and I would have to speak to my boss, she's a right cow so I dont really want t. Also I do 37hrs a week

Another question:
Can I be sacked whilst off sick?

Also does it seem right to you that I had 4 days off work, one week and then 4 days two weeks later and cause of that she didnt pay me for anymore time I had off :?

you should be entitled to more than that then i think...i dont know what im entitled to (30 hrs) so im not much use!
I dont think they can sack you hun, especially if you have like sick notes or whatever but even so you normally have a week self certification on any job...this starts again once you have been back to work and off again if you know what i mean (i think its like taht anyway.....)
I would have a word with your boss...she might be a right cow but if she is scamming you out of money you can take it further (cant remember wher to though but ill find out for you).
id just say to her look i dont think iv been paid right, do you have a copy of the SSP rate for hours please becasue i am really sure that it isnt right.
Why do you think they will sack you? Just cos your ill?
i had 2 weeks off about a month ago for 'adjustment reaction' (basically i never got over the m/c). My work were really funny about it all but there is nothing they can do hun. You are entitled to it if you need it....id fight hun.
Let me know how you get on :hug: Feel better too (if your not already better lol)

basic rate is £72.55 as long as you earn over £87 a week before tax and Ni are deducted

hope that helps

Thanks hun. Ive just joined a Union and the guy said I can ring up for advice tomorrow as my application will be processed by then. I don't really want to ring my boss just yet, I leave it until ive spoken to the union tomorrow. I dont have a contract at all, I am being treated unfairly at work (At christmas they all got bonuses, I had only been there 5 months but so had one of the mechanics yet he got a bonus and I didnt) there are a number of things happening at work at the moment, Im really not happy there but cannot find another job because its only 5 mins from my Mums (Who has Harrison for me) and a 10 min drive from Harrisons nursery and our home.

i am an accountant & process payroll. hope i can expain...

£72.55 from April 2007 is the rate per week

however for the first 3 days of sick you will not get paid. so for week one you got £27 based on hourse you normally do ect. if you off next week you would get the full £72.55.

this is statory everyone is entilted to this is they earn over £87 a week.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... .asp#start

hope this help x

*A little update*

I joined the union last week & after mum2be post I thought thats probably why I got paid so little so thought I'd leave it untill next pay day which is today and see how much I get. Well today is pay day & I have got £27 again which I know is not right. I rung my employer and she said to me that the amounts I've been paid are my tax back :? (I don't understand that because Ive already had all my tax paid back as far as I know in one lump sum in around September time last year) and she hasn't put through SSP for me as she didn't know when i'll be coming back or what the score is about me coming back! (Even though on each sick note she's recieved from me it has had the amount of time I will be having off!) then she asked me 'whats the score with you coming back?' I said 'I should be back Monday' (I know I shouldn't have said should be back but my boss is a right cow on the fone, speaks to me like a piece of sh*t so I stutter and feel so nervous on the phone to her so everything ends up coming out so wrong) and then she goes on to say 'No actually I think we should have a meeting before we decide when and if you're coming back, will Friday afternoon be ok?'

Now I don't know what to do!! I'm just waiting for my union officer to ring me back but in the mean time is there anything you guys know about things like this?

Is what my employer doing right with the SSP & with the whole thing about the meeting about when and if i'm to go back?

I'm so upset as I have bills to pay this week and now I cannot pay them! My Stepdad has said I shouldn't be having a meeting with her on Friday as I'm still signed off!

Any advice would be really helpful please!

i really think she is out of order tbh....you have been signed off sick its not as if your throwing sickies in. I dont see how you are suposed to go in for a meeting when your off sick that just seems outrageous tbh.
Hope your union rep gets in touch soon hun xx

right as you signed off work dont go in firstly.

secondly they cant say IF you go back as you been signed off by doctor they cant get rid of you for that or you have a veyr big case against them

also they shold have processed payroll for yourself are you weekly paid? 1 week behind?

but you are entiled to the money + any tax you can claim back

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
You shouldn't have to go in whilst off sick. And I don't think you should have to have a meeting about when you go back.
Most employers do a 'back to work' interview but only when you are actually back!
Keep talking to the union and definately make sure they pay you! They should still be paying you whether or not they know when you're back!

Sarah&LJ said:
i really think she is out of order tbh....you have been signed off sick its not as if your throwing sickies in. I dont see how you are suposed to go in for a meeting when your off sick that just seems outrageous tbh.
Hope your union rep gets in touch soon hun xx

Thanks hun. Still waiting for him to ring me back. Might call him again in a bit if I dont hear anything

mum2be? said:
right as you signed off work dont go in firstly.

secondly they cant say IF you go back as you been signed off by doctor they cant get rid of you for that or you have a veyr big case against them

also they shold have processed payroll for yourself are you weekly paid? 1 week behind?

Thanks for that hun. Yeah I am paid weekly every Wednesday. I don't think I am paid a week behind but I dont have a contract so don't know anything like that and was never told, when ever I mention things like pay etc.. shes all snotty to me so I don't like to ask. So I shouldn't go in, do you think i'm entitled to take someone with me when we do have the meeting though just so I have someone to back me up if anything comes of it?

Princess_Puddles said:
[quote="mum2be?":qaqrq808]right as you signed off work dont go in firstly.

Thanks for that hun. Yeah I am paid weekly every Wednesday. I don't think I am paid a week behind but I dont have a contract so don't know anything like that and was never told, when ever I mention things like pay etc.. shes all snotty to me so I don't like to ask. So I shouldn't go in, do you think i'm entitled to take someone with me when we do have the meeting though just so I have someone to back me up if anything comes of it?[/quote:qaqrq808]

you ahve to right to ask for someone to sit in with meeting with you.
dont go in your sick. she should calcuate your wages as u been off work if you week behind that maybe why if even so u should get paid now for what you did last week. SSP?
is there a payroll department at work or is it too small? as they will deal with all of yourwages ect.

Ditto what mum2be has said on a couple of things

You are not obliged to go in to see her as you are signed off sick. She cannot expect or demand you to attend. So don't go. That simple.

Also you have rights, written contract or not.

Ask her to clarify your pay. I would think you are being paid a week in hand, so you would always be being paid for the previous week. It should state on your pay slips what week it is they are paying you for.

And they need to sort out your SSP. You are entitled to it, so don't take her nonsense.

And you cannot be sacked while off sick. If they do, they have to have exceptional reasons and its a whole minefield of potential legal woes for them.

With regards to a contract of employment, you can ask for one to be given to you. They are obliged to provide it. You don't have to sign it iirc, if you don't agree with it all. Best bet is to call CAB and explain to them about you not having a written contract and how to go about sorting it and what it needs to cover.

But really, if you are signed off sick from work by your GP, don't go in to see her. If need be write her a letter rather than discuss on the phone and explain your rights and ask her to rectify the SSP situation as soon as possible. This is also something you can run past the CAB and get their advice on. They can tell you the steps to take to ensure you are going about things the right way.

Thanks for all your help ladies. mum2be yes our company is too small for its own paypoll dept. I spoke to my union rep and he cannot help because this issue started before I joined the union but he said he can advise me and he has said I need to write a letter asking for a contract of employment, also to ask why I havent been paid SSP when I am entititled to it and to state that because I am signed off sick I won't be able to have a meeting on Friday but to have one when I return to work on Monday.

Here is my letter
Do you think its ok? anything I should add?
Dear S,

I am writing you a letter just to raise a couple of queries regarding my employment at xxxxx.
Firstly I would like to ask about a contract of employment. I believe I am entitled to a contract within two months of initial employment that outlines the terms and conditions of my employment including hours of work, pay, sickness and holiday allowances.
As of yet I haven’t received or signed a contract so could I please be issued with one.
Secondly I would like to address the issue of me being signed off from work and my statutory sick pay. As I am to understand, so long as I have presented xxxx with a note by my general practitioner, I am entitled to statutory sick pay of £72.55 if I am sick for longer than 3 days in a row and I earn more than £87.00 a week before tax and national insurance. I realise that I will not be paid for the first three days of my sick leave, but I have been signed off for two and half weeks and provided a note including the dates of when I will be signed off and when I shall be returning, and have not received any statutory sick pay. If there is a reason why you feel I am not entitled to statutory sick pay please can you let me know in writing.
Further to our telephone conversation regarding a meeting this Friday 29th February, since I will still be signed off work on this date I feel it would be more appropriate to have the meeting when I return to work on Monday March 3rd.
Thank you for taking your time to read this letter and I hope we can resolve these matters as soon as possible
Yours Sincerely

Mica xxxx

Reads really well and you've covered everything you need to without waffling.

I'd be happy to send that to my boss :)

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes. Stick to your guns and don't take her crap. You have rights and are exercising them and doing a good job of it :)

Well she got my letter this morning and she rung me just now as I got in the door from dropping Harrison at nursery (Thankfully I was in!) She mentioned nothing about my sick pay or asking for a contract all she said was that having a meeting 9am Monday morning was ok and that it was just something that they have to 'A back to work meeting' after someone has been off sick. She also mentioned that it wasn't common knowledge before I went off sick but it is now & that they have as of 2 days ago brought another garage so they are advertising for staff at the moment :? what that has got to do with me I don't know!! (I already knew they were in the process of buying another garage as I overheard. They told everyone else but me about it though :? )

So I dunno where I go from here, I would still prefer someone to come with me in the meeting as if she doesn't then I will bring up about my contract and sick pay and I want someone to be there to hear what she says!
Am I allowed someone there still if its a'Back to work meeting' ?

Thanks for being so helpful ladies :hug:

iv had a few councilling meetings at work hun (outrageous tbh but oh well) and everytime there has been someone else in but NOT my choice.... Not very happy with that though...i found it hard to say what i wanted when the person i wanted to say about was in the bloody room!!
Good luck hun

I'd inform her you would like to ask someone to sit in on the meeting as an impartial person. If you are happy to let her choose, then fine, if not ask someone of your own choosing. If she chooses someone you really dislike etc ask for someone else.

Anyone you can rely on at work to accompany you? If so give them a call and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back