starting the ball rolling at the doctors

hayley

Reaction score
Hi

I decided this morning it't time to strat the ball rolling and get some help! I've been off the pill now since September of last year. We didn't actually start trying till Jan (what is trying?????) We've been BDing unprotected since September 2004 - so i suppose we've been trying since then... but i didn't buy my first ovulation kit till Jan... Anyway just called the doctors surgery.... they have a walk in clinic every thursday from 1pm. Which means i'm gonna have to take 1/2 a day off work. What do i tell work????? and if i have to go for lots of tests do i have to use up my holiday allowance.... difficult one! because i don't want anyone in work to know.

Haven't a clue what to expect. Anyone else in my shoes at the moment? or have you been in my shoes and could make things a little clearer? would really appreciate the advise.

Do I have take DH with me to the doctors? he isn't a member of my clinic, also he mighn't be able to get time off work like me.... I tried to make an appointment for both of us at the hospital for tests but you have to be refered by your GP firstly... How long does all this take? HELP.... feel desperate! depressed! and like i'm never going to have a baby....

X

I'm sorry I haven't been through what you are but I wanted to wish you the very VERY best of luck with everything and I hope they give you some answers soon x

Hi hayley,

I just thought i'd write and let you know i'm in the same position as you. Been ttc since feb and af's are allover the place ranging from CD28-80 (i'm currently on CD57 and still no af) so i can't actually pin point ov.

I went to the gp a week ago to see what he coud do. He's refering me to a gyno and possibly for a scan. I had my bloods checked last monday and the results showed that my hormones are normal. GP thinks that my ovaries are just mis-firing after the bcp and just having problems remembering how to ov. I'm sure we will find out when i get my appt for the gyno.

DH is getting older and he feels he doesn't want to carry on ttc if it is going to take years and years, we need to make some form of plan for the future whether its with kids or not and therefore i decided to just go to gp and get the ball moving so we know where we stand a lot earlier, even though the nurse originally said not to go and see gp unless we'd been ttc for more than a year. We just couldn't wait for that.

I was hoping i'd be one of the lucky ones and get pg within a few months but obviously that ain't going to happen and i know how you frustrating it can be. All i can suggest is we try and keep positive and hopefully we will get that bfp shortly.

Take care
Sheree xx

hi just to let you know that iwent through something similar. i came of the pill for a whole year before i fell pregnant! sadly that pregnancie did not make it. but on the positive side i know that all is well and i can get pregnant! i also went to see my doctor as after about 11 months of not getting bfp i to started to worry. my doctor told me to relax about the whole thing and not to get strressed about things and to come back in 2 months time if no bfp. i fell pregnant 4 weeks after that! so try not to worry to much and things may change for you to. im ttc again now and im hoping to get bfp for xmas!!!!

Hi Hayley,
I know how you feel and even though I've not been trying as long as you I feel completely fed up with the whole thing. I mean, what does it take??? This is our sixth month of trying, I have been charting for the past three months and BD at the 'right' times. :( I feel so frustrated, even more so because I'm sure that this month isn't the month either. I was wondering about going to the doctor after Christmas perhaps.
Good Luck Hayley
Hannan
xx

Hi,
I am in the same situation, we have been TTC for nearly a year now with no luck. I recently visited my GP who was soooo unsympathetic. She eventually said to have blood tests to see if I was ovulating and also suggested my husband should go for test too. I have to tell you the thought of loads of tests scares me stiff, in fact I didn't have the courage to go last month. Sometimes I feel that i can't want a baby that much if i can't face the thought of tests and at other times I just think I don't want to know one way or the other in case i don't get the answer i want. Does that make sense?
We already have a 5 year old who was conceived really easily-1st month to be exact so I just keep thinking there is no reason for it not to happen and that perhaps we just aren't trying at the right times of the month but there is always that nagging doubt at the back of my mind that perhaps its never gonna happen.
wishing you all luck

Hi everyone,

hayley I was gonna post on other thread then saw this...

From what I know [it varies from GP to GP] it seems that most GP's will do a series of blood tests. they will want to test your progesterone levels and eostrogen levels so will ask for blood at certain intervals ie Day 7, 14, 21 of cycle etc. They will check blood for thyroid problems too.
make sure they test your urine for any infections and ask for smear and full screening of girlie tests too [chlamydia etc....] so many things can affect fertility these days...

After these results they usually refer to a fertility / gynae for scan and other blood tests but I think the NHS has its own process it has to follow before referring anyone.

Make sure you stress [or even lie] how long you have been trying, they tend not to take us seriously if less than a year... so take your charts and any other info, ask all the questions you can think of and ask for all the tests possible!!

Also ask what they will want to test on OH, usually first thing is sperm count.. not sure what else...

From my own recent experience I know how powerful having all this knowledge about my cycle and symptoms is but only if given to the right doctor with the right interests...

hope you get some answers and they start the ball rolling for you. xxx

HI

Thank you for all your replies. I've been off the pill now for over a year and my periods have been really regular (27 to 29 days) the last few periods have been exactly 28 days... so i'm quite lucky there! but thats not to say i have enough of the right hormone...

I will definately make a point of telling the nurse i want testing. I want them to book me in for some important tests and i'm not leaving the room till i have appointments booked....

DH is 49 so i feel time is ticking away! I'm 31 so hopfully i have a few years left in me! they say men can become fathers righ up into old age... but i'm sure sperm count gets lower the older a man gets. I need my mind putting at ease! i need to know i'm in working order and DH sperm count is good... maybe then i'll relax and let it happen.

To anyone else thinking of getting help - do it! make the move and go for it! once the doctors are involved they will be doing everything possible to help... hopfully...

x

Good luck for tomorrow and I really hope they give you all tests!! I'd kick and scream till I got them too if I was you. Let us know how you get on. x

Good luck, hun. I hope all goes well at the docs let us know how things go. I was quite lucky and managed to be refered even though we have been ttc less than a year. I know how you feel about Dh though. I am 27 but DH is 35 and he feels if we try for too long he will feel too old to actually enjoy being a father. We've decided to see what the gyno says and keep trying for another few years and then if nothing happens we are going to splash out on a really expensive house instead. We are both of the opinion if "it happens, it happens" but after the drs at least we know where we stand so we can plan our future either way. At least by going to the docs it can put your mind at rest. Best of luck, hun.
Take care,
Sheree xx

the appointment turned out to be a waste of time - i was booked into the contraception - how not to get pregnant - clinic... makes me laugh now! but i was fuming yesterday... got an appointment with my GP at 5.30 today....
x

Aww Hayley

I really feel for you.

The receptionist that booked you into the wrong clinic needs to be shot.

I am keeping everything crossed for you.

My friend had trouble conceiving even though there was nothing wrong with either her or her hubby. She got accepted onto an IVF programme, went on holiday and relaxed and then 9 months later Rebecca was born. She now has two more for her collection.

sending you loads of baby dust.

x

Hi Davina

That was a Lovely story of your friend... nice happy ending!.. i hear of that happening loads... seems when you relax and just enjoy BD'ing it happens....

I'll see what the doc has to say later.

x

hi Hayley

i have everything crossed for you.

I have seen your wedding piccie on the forum and you and your hubby make such a lovely couple and i know that having a baby would make you both happy so i wish you all the luck.

x

Hayley,

Hope all goes well at gps - keep us informed and keep positive.

Take care
Sheree

Hi Ladies

Thanks Davina - a baby would really make our family complete... DH has 3 sons from previous marrage but there all grown up. His youngest is 16.. don't think he'd be too happpy if i asked to wind him...

Thanks for good wishes Shez.

The doc has agreed to send me for a blood test - although he seems to think i have enough working hormones as my AF is right on time every month! No harm going for tests thou! Need to get DH to get his fishes counted now!

Aparently the doc said majority of couples aren't getting pregnant till they've been trying around 8 months... which made me feel a little better! it seems everyone i know is getting caught the first try! or are they telling little porkies...

good luck to all tryer's and happy pregnancies to all you expecting mums

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back