SPD?

titch

Reaction score
Ive got a really sore pelvis. feels like saddle sore :( hurts to move. Ive had it for the past week after a long day on my feet but today is the first time Ive woken up with it. Is it too late to develop SPD or is this just what it feels like when babys head engages?

No its def not too late to develop SPD!
It left me completely paralysed 2 weeks before i had my 2nd child.
Look up the web sites as they give some good advice on dealing with it. doc gave me paracetamol too so it must be safe.
It can be very painful, mines is like falling on the bar of a bike!
BUT it will pass hopefully.

i had to take co codomol for spd and the pain got alot worse when babys head engaged, it was crippling and exhausting. The good news is for me it went as soon as the weight of the baby had gone, it was just the pressure was a massive toll on my pelvis, as soon as he'd gone so did the pain and its all totally worth it hun, hope you feel better soon x

I have been prescribed dihydrocodine for mine, 30mg per tablet but taking 2 at a time. They assure me this is also safe for pregnancy. Gets me through the day now but not sure how well it will work later on.

xxx

I have had some pain underneath too, I think mine is my pelvis relaxing even more! It hurts the most when I stand up from the sofa.

it's not nice at all... every movement hurts like hell - turning over in bed, getting up from a chair etc...
couldn't get in with a physio but the midwife has been brilliant and given me tips and advice. It still hurts so just trying to take it easy and have paracetamol when it gets too much...you have my sympathies hun xx

I cant decide whether i'm developing it or not. My hips click in all sorts of places when I move and I cant stay sat or lying down for long periods of time. Means i'm waking up and shifting positions every 5 mins on a night! lol! Just think, it'll all be over soon Tiny! x

This is my 3rd pregnancy with SPD!!!
Warm baths help me and lots of rest.
Apart from the physical pain its also very tough mentally, its like having a disability.
I count myself lucky as mines left as soon as the babies were born, although I was paralysed for about 24 hours.
At the minute my legs keep buckiling under me, like losing power??? Is anyone else affected like this??

Weird question Buttons...as you suffer from it what type of birth did you have? Midwife has said that I should be trying to avoid an epidural (don't want one anyway) as it can cause extra distress on the pelvic regions with the positions you are put in as it allows for limited movements. What pain relief did you use?...x

yeah I def think this is SPD then. It was agony turning over in bed last night. Eased off a bit today after I had a warm bath too, so funny you mentioned that! Im just gonna be grateful that Ive developed it this late on, so wont have to put up with it much longer.

Weird question Buttons...as you suffer from it what type of birth did you have? Midwife has said that I should be trying to avoid an epidural (don't want one anyway) as it can cause extra distress on the pelvic regions with the positions you are put in as it allows for limited movements. What pain relief did you use?...x

I had quick natural deliveries. no time for pain relief of any sort! avoiding an epidural is crucial if you have SPD because you need to be listening to your body and not opening your legs too wide. if you have an epidural you won't feel the pain and you may do the pelvis further damage :oooo:
Also an epidural means you have to be lying down probably on your back which is a bad position for birth. Squatting, standing or on all fours opens the pelvis and allows baby maximum room to get down.
If its any consolation, I am convinced that my SPD contributed to my easy births!!! :) and both my babies were over 9 and over 10lb!!!

yeah I def think this is SPD then. It was agony turning over in bed last night. Eased off a bit today after I had a warm bath too, so funny you mentioned that! Im just gonna be grateful that Ive developed it this late on, so wont have to put up with it much longer.

Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees tiny. A warm bath in the evening works for me but glad no one sees me getting in and out of that bath :lol:
Also an ice pack wrapped in kitchen towel placed in the groin (if thats where the pain is) for as long as you can stand it works. Keeping the body symmetrical, ie not leaning on one leg:lol:, not crossing legs and not sitting with legs up in front of you. Best wishes!!!

Lol, good job that I too am planning on not having an epidural. I am really hoping that it doesn't end up in me having a c-section as that's what I don't want to happen unless it's absolutely essential. I'm wanting a water birth, apparently they can ease SPD pains as well so I may be in luck.

I had the night from hell least night, was almost in tears half way through the night. My muscles felt like they were all bruised and my bones felt like molton lead :( Just my luck that I get it this early on, the next 5 months will be hell unless my physio can sort me out. I'm really hoping that he can make me fit for work again, if not then I don't know what i'll do!

Were any of you who got SPD early on signed off as unfit for work? When did it happen and does it affect maternity pay at all?

Thanks
xxx

if you get signed off, you will be on the normal 'sickness' procedure, whatever your company usually pays. But the sick leave does not get counted by HR and you cannot be subject to any disciplinary procedures cos its pregnancy related. They can trigger your maternity leave to start early, I thought it was only in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy but Ive heard of people who've been told to start mat leave as early as possible (is it 28 weeks now?)

Your work cant discipline or disadvantage you in any way becuase of pregnancy related sick leave tho.

Good, I'm just worried that being on sick pay would lower my maternity pay (I'm on statutory for both) so this is a relief to hear :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back