Solids and milk.. Oh an water

leanne1b

Reaction score
Hi. So lo is 7 and a half months now.
He went from refusing to eat anythig, to gettin him to have purée. And now he has breakfast and stage 2 for lunch and dinner! Yay!
I guess it just took him a while.
My question is.
For babies of similar ish age. Now the bubs are eating food, are they still taking as much milk? Like now they are having solids, how many ozs on average are your lo drinking?

Also, people giving water, at this age, does it still need to be boiled first? X

h is 6 months old next week and i give him baby juice rather than cooled boiled water, H likes the clear juice from boots (2 for £1 atm) and lasts him about 3 days he doesnt drink much of it.

yeah I give Ellie baby juice, also the one from boots she loves it and I suppose they would as they must ge fed up with milk eh lol xx

Yay, glad he got there in the end, he mustn't have been ready. has less milk, he used to have about 28oz and now he has 3 meals a day and about 20oz of milk. He normally has about 2oz of cool boiled water with each meal. I used to give him juice as he wouldn't drink water, but now he has water no problem.

I give boiled water or baby juice (to help with his consipation) with his lunch, he is having less milk, but Im not sure if hes supposed to :confused: Hes not getting skinny and he doesnt seem dehydrated so Im just followinghis lead.

Yay! Was worried I wasn't gettin enough milk down him. Was on about 35 a day! But now on about 20 ish I'd guess. So, r they more at risk for getting dehydrated now? Ie should I be trying to get any fluids down him to make up for it? Or would the water onthe food cover it? X

Im not sure, I usually add some of the boiled water to his food just to try and squeeze mroe into it. I make his porridge with some milk and then add water. He got really constipated which is why Im trying to make sure he drinks more. He would happily just eat food and not drink anything all day long :roll:

theres a calculation you do to roughly work out if they are getting enough milk I cant quite remember i but if I do al pop it up need to look through Ellies notes xx

Ooh good idea to try add to food. Let's see I he notices lol x

Ooh good idea to try add to food. Let's see I he notices lol x

My little boy is also 7 1/2 months. He is now on 3 reasonable sized meals a day (cereal &toast ,veg/fruit ,meaty dinner). I am breast feeding but I do think he is taking less milk than before. He is now on 4 feeds a day - waking, mid morning, mid afternoon, bedtime. His daytime feeds are definitely much shorter than before. I usually make up his cereal with a couple of oz of milk to try to get him to take a little bit more. I always offer him water with a meal but he usually only takes a couple of sips. After 6 months there is no need to give cooled boiled water, tap water is fine.

I am glad that weaning is now going well for you. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wicked thanks for that. We get quite a lot of line scale so hate using the kettle! X

Go with what you both feel is right, if you see that at a certain times of day he isn't taking a feed then wean it out, he'll let you know. It's what I'm going to be doing with Drake.

Gemmgirl is right about the tap water too xx

Cheers Hun. Yeah when it comes to milk, I'm giving him a full bottle around 6.30 am. Then he has breakfast between 8 and 9. Lunch about half 11. A bottle at 1 or 2. Dinner at about 5.30 I'd guess. And a bottle at about 7 for bed.
His first bottle he'll take the 7. The others about 5.?
So that's okay right?
Well occasionally give him small bits of like toast etc to play with/ eat too lol. Doesn't sound like the milk amount is too bad then comparing with u lot. X

my lo is exactly 6months and he has just recently dropped a milk feed during the day. in 24 hours he has 28oz (4 x 7oz) at roughly 6am, 1pm, 7pm, 12pm, he has a solid breakfast,lunch and dinner and i give him boiled cooled water throughout the day! he usually has about 2 or 3 oz. me and OH dont drink the tap water here as the water is really hard (& upsets my stomach!!!), so i will continue to give him cooled boiled water, i sometimes add like a tinnnyyyy dash of apple juice or a sqeeze of an orange just to give it more taste! i might try some baby juice though after reading this thread!!! xo

i think 20oz is recommended gettin that amount of milk down your LO i was struggling to get 15oz in his daily routine as he went off his milk through teething thats the only thing i could think of when he went off milk cos hes on solids aswell now an i give him juice in the day an his milk slowly going back up.
Health visitor bitched an whined at me to get atleast 20oz of milk a day but it was impossible so i had to cut down the juice intake an keep tryin so many oz if milk a day until he took more and more but were getting there slowly. I also found that cos he wasnt takin that much milk his percentile weight went down to 1 and they said if he doesnt get that bit of weight on theyll transfer him to docs as he wasnt getting the vitamins from milk.
Also i recommend getting yogurts hun to help increase bit of milk in his body to help with his bones x

Ive just been re-reading the thread where someone mentioned adding his milk into his breakfast or when you make his dinners up if hes on solids depending what you give him add his milk in with that.
I was at my wits end with LO when he was struggling not to take many oz of a bottle cos i didnt want the ear bashing from health visitor its only because i got him weighed she mentioned if he was eating ok.
Ive also changed his bottle avent to a new beaker from morrisons because hes starting to grip he couldnt hold the other bottle where as the one we brought hes starting to sip from that himself an he will take a good 6oz milk in a bottle around 3pm somehow got himself into that routine in the day.
Although LO has just got himself into when i put some milk in his beaker i put it into his cot an he will take it in the night sometimes morning to so i think im just bout gettin 3 bottles milk down him now :).

Is your LO teething that might be a reason going off milk ?
x

lol, Id say hes been teething since about... 12 weeks? He got his first two teeth at 6 mths, but yeah, def still going, but the top 2 don't look set to appear any time soon!
Thanks for that hun x

yeah wen LO went off his milk his teeth didnt come through as they were taking awhile but gums could be affecting him for him to go off his milk. Yesterday LO struggled an was shoving his top gums with his beaker an theres a right white patch at the top of his top gums eeek lol. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back