So my eyesight isn't that bad

Sherlock

Reaction score
I use the computer a lot. Am used to goodness knows how many different fonts, sizes, layouts etc. Can cope with pretty much all of the regular sites I visit. And believe me, I visit a lot :p I have my own websites so know the headaches of web design and browser compatibility etc.

Signed up to Netmums just now as a few people recommended it and thought it would be good to start investigating my local area for kiddie related things. However, after 10 minutes of looking at the tiny tiny text in all those sodding colours I'm already close to giving up on it. Even if I enlarge the page to view, it still leaves the smallest font very small and if I make it overly large enhanced, it means I then have to keep scrolling backwards and forwards across the page because of their layout.

Its really crap. I had to go to 150% to view the text well and then had the scroll problem. And I am not changing my overall screen resolution just for one site viewing. Every other site I look at works for my eyesight.

Grrrr to blooming web designers who think tiny text is a good thing. Sort your layout out and that way you don't have to make it so blooming small. Its supposed to be easy, not give me a headache.

They can expect an email from me shortly I am sure :wall:

I am not sure if you have tried this already, sorry if you already have...you can enlarge/belittle (couldn't think of a good word :) ) text by pressing the 'ctrl' button and scrolling the mouse wheel.
I spose it may not help much if you find the colours and contrasts hard to see though.

I have a percentage setting on my compy over the wheel function as I don't use Windows. So I can enlarge to 1000% if need be :shock:

I already tried it to 150% instead of the normal 100% but everything inbetween 100% and 150% still leaves lots of really small text and the colours of them don't help. Other text it enlarges but then it becomes blurry round the edges as its oversized. Once I hit 150% it means things become distorted on the larger text, pixel wise on pics etc, and I have to then start scrolling sideways to go across the pages.

Its one of those :wall: moments to the site designers. It will do my head in trying to use it for any length of time. A shame as it could prove a useful site, but not if I cannot read the blooming thing :wall:

:evil: :? :(

I wonder if their site is disability compliant... there's a thing for all websites that says they should be easy to read and if someone is colour blind/short sighted etc they should be able to adjust the screen/text colours to suit them.

I'll have a look.

I know a lot of sites don't have it, which is ok, but if people have specific complaints like that about sites, they should at least try and find a solution.

I only know about it because my OH used to do it day in day out with his last company. And a lot of the police websites fail the basic disability standards, so it's not as if they are alone in failing :D

leckershell said:
I wonder if their site is disability compliant... there's a thing for all websites that says they should be easy to read and if someone is colour blind/short sighted etc they should be able to adjust the screen/text colours to suit them.

I'll have a look.

See what you think of it :) I've just found it really hard work in my browser. Hubby seems to think its a browser issue as on his Mac in Safari its larger and easier to view. I only see tiny however in mine. He's going to look into it this weekend and see if he can find me a solution as I'd really like to be able to use the site and not have a headache :roll:

Its a shame as in this day and age there is no reason to design sites to only work fully in specific browsers. Its annoying as its really quite simple to make them work in just about everything. Yet so many sites seem to overlook this :wall:

Doh I forgot to ask my OH cos he was rushing to go out tonight. I'll send him the link to this though and he'll probly have a look tomorrow. :)

leckershell said:

I'll have a look.

I know a lot of sites don't have it, which is ok, but if people have specific complaints like that about sites, they should at least try and find a solution.

I only know about it because my OH used to do it day in day out with his last company. And a lot of the police websites fail the basic disability standards, so it's not as if they are alone in failing :D

your right shell...its part of the disability discrimination act....get on to them, i would

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back