• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Snotty when lying down

Hazel

Reaction score
When Connie is asleep lying down she sounds very snotty and can hear sticky gunk at the back of her throat. It eases a bit when I open a window but can't have the window open all night as will end up with a sore throat. Our house smells of Olbas oil but that isn't making much diference and I'm having to sit with her on me so she's propped up to help her breath. She's sounding like a little piglet that is snorting whenever she lies down as she is having to breathe through her mouth.

I'm not seeing the HV until Tuesday so was hoping someone had some advice. I have breathing difficulties due to adanoids so it's likely she has inherited my nose but I take decongestants (couldn't take them through pregnancy and really suffered).

I've taken her to the doctors but of course by the time we got there and she had been sitting up in the car seat she was fine :roll: .

raise one end of where she sleeps by puttng a folded up blanket under the matress that should help
xx

Yep agree with manda or if ur cot has wheels take the wheels of the feet end.

What a simple solution :doh: . I shall try that tonight. She's been pushing herself onto her side which seems to help her breathe.

Kaden also suffers from this.

We had him checked over by the Dr at hospital, and his suggestions were:

1. Raise the head end of his crib/basket by placing the legs on books etc.
2. Buy some saline nasal drops, keep them in the fridge, and put a drop in each nostril before every feed.

He said it will still take a while, but it should clear up eventually.

HTH

Tony

Is she breathing through her mouth? I always thought babies breathed through their noses till around 5-6 months. They are not born to instinctivly do this so have to learn it. Check and see as she is so small I'd not think this likely. Her snorting could be because she is breathing through her nose still and therefore makes a noise.

Also if you feed her and she is very fussy and keeps stopping it can indicate she has breathing problems as she won't be able to breathe through her nose when feeding then. If she is feeding well (ie not fussing, stopping to try to breathe etc) I'd take that as a good sign.

If she is really bunged up then maybe try something to losen it in her nose. Or a nasal aspirator to remove it. Keep her more upright if you can.

Sherlock said:
Is she breathing through her mouth? I always thought babies breathed through their noses till around 5-6 months. They are not born to instinctivly do this so have to learn it. Check and see as she is so small I'd not think this likely. Her snorting could be because she is breathing through her nose still and therefore makes a noise.

Also if you feed her and she is very fussy and keeps stopping it can indicate she has breathing problems as she won't be able to breathe through her nose when feeding then. If she is feeding well (ie not fussing, stopping to try to breathe etc) I'd take that as a good sign.

If she is really bunged up then maybe try something to losen it in her nose. Or a nasal aspirator to remove it. Keep her more upright if you can.

She is breathing through her mouth when lying down, I'm sure she's going to start snoring soon. She is also making the snorty noises when feeding but is managing the bottle well. I told mw when she came round last but she said it's probably just the sniffles but I don't think it is. HV is coming Tuesday so will ask her then. It doesn't seem to be causing her any distress just sounds awful.

Tally has been doing this from about 2 weeks, i tried saline drops for a while and they helped to un bung her so she could feed easier and drop off to sleep.

I bought some snuffle babe (a baby version of vics rub) and i put some on a cloth which i tie to her moses basket, its quite strong and unblocks my nose too, seems to be working, but it does say not suitable for under 3 months but she's been fine with it.

Only problem is that when shes waking up she snorts for ages first lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back