Smokers

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Just a wee worry ladies -

We're due to go out tonight with my parents in law and we have arranged to leave Naomi with my SIL. Trouble is, she and her OH are both heavy smokers. SIL was very good when I was PG but her OH often lit up in the room beside me when I was PG. I would leave the room as quickly as I could without exciting comment. I REALLY have a thing about smokers around Naomi, understandably enough. Actually I have a thing about smoke myself.

I have an idea that SIL prob won't light up with my daughter in the room but her OH has "ideas" and is stubborn, and to put it frankly I wouldn't put it past him. It IS his own house after all and he has a right to relax in the evening doesn't he?

I really want to preserve the family equilibrium. Any idea how to approach this? I would be very angry if I found that anyone had lit up, but I don't see how I can approach it without cancelling altogether and saying that I'm tired and can't go out tonight even though we've been planning this for weeks?

Help!

Sue

could you not suggest that they have Naomi at your house instead of theres? Maybe something along the lines of unsettling with with unfamiliar surroundings? That way its your house and your rules and if they wanted to smoke they would have to go outside?

Hope you find a way round it and have a good night x

Hi bubble...

Unfortunately it would be impractical that way. They have five kids of their own, two of which are under 10 and the others are studying and so can't be left in charge really. Plus, MY SIL is phobic when it comes to cats, and we have a large cat. So it just wouldn't work.

Sue

I have a similar problem.

Some friends of ours all smoke very heavily in there house. To the extent where their ceilings and walls are yellow!! It gives me a headache if I stay too long!! But they keep inviting us over but I really don't want Phoebe in the house. Luckily they don't live that near to us so I keep telling them that Phoebe still isn't good in her car seat!!

Will have to go eventually though :?

Maybe wait until the summer and sergest sitting in the garden :wink:

Your SIL sounds more clued up, point out to her that you're worried as smoking increases chances of cot death etc.
Maybe ask her to ask hubby to smoke in another room for the night. If someone babysat Brody and he came back stinking of cigarettes I'd be mad as hell.

Its a tough one Sue, id approach your SIL and explain your reasons to her, hoping that she may influnce her OH. i hope you have a wonderful night, whatever.
I was very blunt with my friends and OH family who all smoke. When i was PG i tolds them that no -one would ever smoke near her, and they wouldnt even hold her til half an hour after having a fag!!! They were all fine about it.....good job too lol!!!!

:( thats not good! as everyone else has suggested try talking to your SIL and explain your worries to her she sounds like she may be more understanding.

Really do hope you get it sorted so that you can enjoy your night out. x

i would have had so much fun lol
i would have stood there giving him a lecture and telling him its fine if he wants to snoke and hurt his lungs but he certainly aint doing it to my baby or me

Well, she went out to SIL's, and I had resolved to say something if she was put in the living room, but SIL put her way down in her son's room to sleep, and only had her in the living room to feed her, which was fine. She doesn't smell of smoke at all, and I was much relieved at that when we picked her up. So! Family bust up avoided, my child's lungs clear and we all happy cos we had a good night out!

Thank Goodness for that! :dance:

Thanks for all the advice girls, I'm really grateful. :clap:

Sue

Wonderful, glad yiu had a good night too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back