smelly colleague at work

laetitia85

Reaction score
There is a guy at my workplace, the WHOLE team is always complaining about his smell, he's got very, very, very bad body oudor and extremey unpleasant bad breath... there are no fancy words to describe it, the guy stinks!

Two weeks ago my boss asked me to sit next to him and I took him to the side and told him: "i don't mean to be rude, sorry if this sounds horrible but **** has got very bad body odour and I feel unconfortable sitting next to him". and the boss looked at me, and carried on "especially his breath, I know"...

We don't know what to do about him, maybe write an anomymous letter but that would be mean, wouldn't it? how can we tell him that his smell is becoming unbearable?

this is a genuine concern, he is making it hard for us to concentrate, it's that bad.

it's horrible but when I was a manager alot of my staff came to me and asked me to speak to a certain person that was a bit smelly.

I put out a Memo to all the staff saying that customers had complained of some of the staffs personal hygene and apperance and that everyone all had to smarten up as we deal direct with the public.

Maybe try that first?!?!?!

Maybe leave a can of deodorant and pack of mints on his desk before he gets into work one morning?

Maybe he'll take the hint and then no-one will have to go through the embarassment of actually having to talk to him about it?

In all honesty it is your manager's job to deal with this. :( If it is that severe a problem they should speak directly to them, whether its part of a review or whatever. I've had to do this and whilst it isn't pleasant, its part of being a manager.

I've also had to ask members of the public to leave the building where their body odour is sooo unpleasant that we had complaints, that's even less fun. :shock:

And I once had to ask a woman to put her jacket on as the top she had on didn't even cover her nipples :rotfl:

And I asked a couple having sex if they could finish quickly as we wanted to close :rotfl:

My parents used to have a Polish guy who worked for them and it was really embarrassing for my dad because he goes to people's houses fitting and measuring blinds. My dad is meticulous when it comes to keeping clean and keeps a spare shirt, flannel and deodorant handy. Every single Xmas my parents would buy this guy a toiletries set like a Brut deogorant and aftershave set! He didn't get the hint! Even when my dad asked him whether he wanted to use the deodorant after him, he would spray it on the outside of his shirt rather than on his skin! They never did solve the problem - he left when he had a heart "episode" (rather than attack!) so that sorted it out! My dad complained he also had dog's arse breath. Now there's a nice image!

libs said:
In all honesty it is your manager's job to deal with this. :( If it is that severe a problem they should speak directly to them, whether its part of a review or whatever. I've had to do this and whilst it isn't pleasant, its part of being a manager.

I've also had to ask members of the public to leave the building where their body odour is sooo unpleasant that we had complaints, that's even less fun. :shock:

And I once had to ask a woman to put her jacket on as the top she had on didn't even cover her nipples :rotfl:

And I asked a couple having sex if they could finish quickly as we wanted to close :rotfl:
Where do YOU work!!!?
:rotfl:

I did work (believe it or not) in a public library :rotfl:

Decorum ain't what it used to be - we used to have a score card in the manager's office. When I left I had 5 "stopping sex", 6 " going into men's toilets" and a handful of "please leave you smell" :D

Kylie1007 said:
libs said:

Where do YOU work!!!?
:rotfl:

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO ASK :rotfl: :rotfl:

SarahH said:
it's horrible but when I was a manager alot of my staff came to me and asked me to speak to a certain person that was a bit smelly.

I put out a Memo to all the staff saying that customers had complained of some of the staffs personal hygene and apperance and that everyone all had to smarten up as we deal direct with the public.

Maybe try that first?!?!?!

i like this idea, but if the memo is not directly aimed at him, how would he really know? he'll probably think it's for someone else

Vicki83 said:
Maybe leave a can of deodorant and pack of mints on his desk before he gets into work one morning?

Maybe he'll take the hint and then no-one will have to go through the embarassment of actually having to talk to him about it?

but isn't that mean though? and he'll probably think someone forgot it the night before :think:

This is your managers job, to step in and have a word witht he guy in question.

If people are complaining and can't work properly around this guy, then management should act and do what they get paid for. If they don't and nohting has been down, approach management and tell them that a few of you will deal with it.

Not only will their ears prick up but it's open for a lovely law case!

Josephine_Beth said:

If people are complaining and can't work properly around this guy, then management should act and do what they get paid for. If they don't and nohting has been down, approach management and tell them that a few of you will deal with it.

law case? i don't think it should go that far!!! or maybe it should?? :think:

laetitia85 said:
Josephine_Beth said:

I meant as in unfair treatment from management, if the person in question feels he is being picked on, it's the management who goes under gthe knife.

Josephine_Beth said:
laetitia85 said:
[quote="Josephine_Beth":1nalk5zs]This is your managers job, to step in and have a word witht he guy in question.

I meant as in unfair treatment from management, if the person in question feels he is being picked on, it's the management who goes under gthe knife.[/quote:1nalk5zs]

ah ok i see what you mean. i hope it doesn't go that far though i love my manager :?

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Imagine Donkey style in Shrek

if he comes to close just scream
"you defo need some tic tacs or something cos ur breathe STINKS"
ahhaa i love donkey =]]

Becksss said:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Imagine Donkey style in Shrek

if he comes to close just scream
"you defo need some tic tacs or something cos ur breathe STINKS"
ahhaa i love donkey =]]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: haha!! I love Donkey too!! Going to see shrek 3 tomorrow!! :)

I find him the funniest in Shrek 1 cos he was fresh and new

Vicki83 said:

Sorry Vicki83 - WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT DO THIS - this would be open to a harressment case

As the others have said it is management who should deal with this, you are perfectly within your right to complain to your manager and ask them to speak to the person, it may be that he has a medical problem that causes this.

Maybe he might be a type 2 diabetic i.e could be overweight and have diabeties and excess sweating from being overweight and breath might smell because of keytones caused by diabeties....

Just a thought.....

What is the rest of his dress like? Is he presentable so to have an adour would be out of place?

I used to work with a guy who never washed and I mean never. He WAS the manager! He used to smell soooooooo bad and one time he was digging a patio at home and never changed his clothes all week and it was summer :puke:

Needless to say he was still a virgin in his 40's! :rotfl:

There's nothing worse than working with strong smells when you're pregnant. I work in a hospital, so you can imagine the types of aromas I have to deal with.

I told my manager that I just wasn't going to be working on the wards because of the smells and I have office based since.

I really don't know what to suggest. You do have to be really careful not to offend but you clearly can't go on working in those conditions. It's disgusting. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back