SMA Staydown

newbump

Reaction score
Have any of you tired the SMA Staydown powder for your baby if they have a reflux problem, its a pig to prepare but the first night Max had it he wasnt sick at all and slept for 12 hours through the night!!!

Natalie x

We tried it

Agree about it being a pig to prepare though. I tried rolling it like it says on the tin - 20 minutes later and it's still all icky. Putting the water in the fridge, and using them within 12 hours, and making the bottle up when it's needed - I got myself all confuddled :shock:

The first i made it up, i did it without reading the tin :doh: and it was awful!!! ok with it now though its just a nightmare trying to warm it up quick for a feed!! Did you use it for long?

I used it and she was ok for a while but then started to brng it up again. So I changed to cow and gate becuase I wasnt paying £2 extra for staydown when it wasnt staying donw!

We got 5 tins on prescription, so about 4 weeks. It didn't stay down much and what came back up was horrible, so he's back on soya and we'll just keep lots of towels handy until he grows out of it.

Ew can someone please tell me how you are meant to prepare it?
(Brody isn't on it and I don't need it but I'm intrigued!)

You sterilise the bottles as normal, but then it drifts off into weirdness
Instead of adding the powder to warm water, you put the bottles in the fridge to make them cold. It says on the tin, the water should be used within 12 hours. When it's time for the bottle, you add the powder as normal, but to fridge cold water. You don't shake it, but have to roll it between two hands - if you've ever tried adding normal powder to fridge cold water, it just doesn't work. So you have to stand there for ages rolling the bottle between two hands waiting for it to dissolve. It's best served at room temperature, but it says to warm it in 'tepid' water. By the time you've rolled it, and waited for it to get to room temperature, you've got precisely 2.5 minutes to get the bottle finished before the hour runs out and you have to throw it away :roll: :wink:

I get Max's milk on prescription, 2 a week so doesnt cost anything! I was told not to give him the soya one as apprently it can cause testicular cancer in later life!! nice to now that SMA still sell it though eh! :twisted:

I havent had a problem with getting it to mix quickly, but have to admit its pretty bad when it does come back up!!!! thing is im scared to put him on anything else as tried that before and we were up all night crying and needing feeding again, which was a nightmare as he was going through the night on the staydown, so am just going to keep him on it!!

I was told not to give him the soya one as apprently it can cause testicular cancer in later life!!

We had soya on prescription after a visit to the paediatrician, but GP refused to repeat prescription it because it's not advised anymore. Both older boys were on it, and after going through 9 different milks trying to find one which works for Alex, WySoy is the best for him. What works for his reflux makes his intolerence worse and vise versa. Ideally he should be on LF, but it made his reflux so bad he was inhaling sick and getting chest infections.

Damien has been moved onto SMA Staydown (can't afford Omneo anymore!) as I get it on scrip too.

Didn't read the tin!!! haha. I always make my bottles up so that if I need 7oz of water, I out 5oz's boiled water into the bottle and allow to go cold in the fridge. Then when it's bottle time, I add 2oz's of freshly boiled water the add powder. I shook the powder as hard as I could (got used to doing it when using Gaviscon / Omneo) and it went really frothy, btu still came out the bottle fine so stuck with that!

Roll the bottle? Asif, I'd be there all night disolving 7 scoops of powder!! :shock:

I did it your way to start sami, but when it wasn't working for him, thought i'd better follow the instructions, hence 2.5 minutes to drink the damn thing, and it still didn't work :roll: Got some strange looks when we were out and about and needed to do a bottle

LOL I'll bet! Will have to try it the normal why. Out of curiosity - why can't you shake it????

Oh and when it comes back up it does look gross - like curdled milk (looks for sick smiley)

Out of curiosity - why can't you shake it????
haven't got bloomin clue. Stuart reckoned it was to see which fools follow the instructions. It still goes frothy when you roll it

think it is becuase if you shake it up and down then the powder gets stuck in the teat, so rather than rolling it I shake it from side to side like this ;

untitled.jpg

Crap picture sorry! :oops:

LMAO great picture!!

I use caps so it doesn't get stuck but it does go very frothy. Just rolled this bottle before giving it to him and he only had 3-4oz's then crashed out asleep lol. Must say the sonsistency does seem better when you roll itm, it's just a pain in the arse :lol:

I use the cap too, but when I shook it up and down the powder all got stuck in the teat, so then Id have to turn the teat inside out and shake it then push it back out! Pain in the arse!

I've been using it for 3 months now so used to it and always roll it, it does dissovle a lot better the colder the water, then i put in a jug with half cold water and half hot, for about 10mins and then its ready to go!!! I tried that Omneo stuff and Max projected it everywhere, same with the gavison!!! well im lucky now as he is on solids like rice, potato etc he is getting a lot better! :dance:

Natalie x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back