• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sleeping - what is safe

Valley Girl

Reaction score
I am really confused with the whole 'safe sleep' issue.

I had always thought co sleeping was safe, as long as you followed the huidelines about pillows, duvets, alcohol etc etc. Now my health visitor tells me that this is a no-no in guidance from SIDS. And on This Morning last week they had a woman who's daughter had died in her sleep while sharing a bed, and the coroner said he had "seen too much of this" and would press for no co-sleeping.

I read in an article that you must only put on a couple of layers of blankets, a folded blanket counting as two layers, when your baby is asleep. But then I read in a book that you should make sure if your baby wakes at night that it is not due to them feeling cold, so try putting on more blankets. I have tried him in a sleeping bag, but he woke so many times that night, with his little hands like ice blocks! I've tried a thin fleecy bed time baby grow on top of vest and ordinary baby gro and that was ok, but I still felt he needed one layer of cotton blanket and his hands were frozen. So I have tried putting on a little pair of thin mitts and they seem to work, but do I then not need the blanket? Or should I try the gro bag again with the mitts?

I really do not know what to do to be 'safe!' My instincts tell me to keep him warm but not hot, and I check inside the back of his baby gro at the neck to make sure he is not clammy or hot. But if I do it according to guidelines he wakes because he is cold.

AAGH!!!!

midna said:
I dont follow all the guidelines tbh ..the duvet is a thin one and only covers her bottom half and whatever on me .. the only guidelines i follow are the dont smoke n drink ones. Even if im mega tired i will co sleep i was after the birth and the midwife put her in with me .. i feel confident with my intuition think thats what counts :)

I think you are right, and I wish I was less of a worrier! I know that within other cultures it is the norm to co-sleep, and I miss doing it this time around.

Valley Girl said:
I am really confused with the whole 'safe sleep' issue.

I had always thought co sleeping was safe, as long as you followed the huidelines about pillows, duvets, alcohol etc etc. Now my health visitor tells me that this is a no-no in guidance from SIDS. And on This Morning last week they had a woman who's daughter had died in her sleep while sharing a bed, and the coroner said he had "seen too much of this" and would press for no co-sleeping.

I read in an article that you must only put on a couple of layers of blankets, a folded blanket counting as two layers, when your baby is asleep. But then I read in a book that you should make sure if your baby wakes at night that it is not due to them feeling cold, so try putting on more blankets. I have tried him in a sleeping bag, but he woke so many times that night, with his little hands like ice blocks! I've tried a thin fleecy bed time baby grow on top of vest and ordinary baby gro and that was ok, but I still felt he needed one layer of cotton blanket and his hands were frozen. So I have tried putting on a little pair of thin mitts and they seem to work, but do I then not need the blanket? Or should I try the gro bag again with the mitts?

I really do not know what to do to be 'safe!' My instincts tell me to keep him warm but not hot, and I check inside the back of his baby gro at the neck to make sure he is not clammy or hot. But if I do it according to guidelines he wakes because he is cold.

AAGH!!!!

I hate the way they make so much of it if the baby was in the parent's bed when they die. It's so hyped up.I mean, I'm sure far more babies die in cots,or die from being in faulty cots, yet you don't hear about that.

I sleep with Willow in a big double bed,I don't drink or smoke and I do use a duvet,but it's a light one as the room is warm.I always kep the window open so there's plenty of fresh air.I did worry a bit at first too,but having her in the moses basket just didn't feel right,and in the end instinct took over :lol:

This site is really helpful
http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html

it has some good co-sleeping info

same here....I think Willow enjoys kicking me and poking me in the eyes too much to be on her own :lol:

wait until you get pointy baby nails in your eyes and grabbing hold of your lips..it's suprisingly painful..she occasionally headbutts me too.But it's all worth it to see her slobbery little face in the morning :lol: :lol:

DS slept with us in our bed, under our thin duvet from birth and luckily he's still here!

With DD I used to put her in a grobag with a little cardi over the top if it was cold. She used to get purple hands in the morning and they'd be icy, we also tried her with mittens.
Now DS is in his cot he has a grobag and a thin fleece blanket if it's cold.

I didn't follow any 'guides' for co-sleeping. I think we've forgot to listen and trust our mothering instinct, its in our nature to protect our baby, before baskets and cots babies co-slept. We are made to protect our LO's, when you sleep with your baby you heat up or cool down in response to them, your LO breathes and keeps their heartbeat better in response to you. I find it iresponsible to associate co-sleeping with danger when many women do it just fine and without fear.

Many co-sleeping babies that do infact pass away in the adult bed are usually alone, though they are not reported as SIDS but as 'death by adult bed' :? I'm no expert and I would NEVER purposefully put my son in danger, but to say by sleeping with him I am, I find ridiculous, I am sorry. Obviously just use your common sense, don't drink or take drugs and sleep with your baby, if you don't feel confident don't sleep with your baby. Wherever your LO sleeps is where you feel its best for them, and thats right for you and your family.

Isaac moved into his cot at 5months just fine too :)

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/sleep/ ... athexpert/
http://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/health/cotdeath/
http://www.fsid.org.uk/

zebrastripes said:
wait until you get pointy baby nails in your eyes and grabbing hold of your lips..it's suprisingly painful..she occasionally headbutts me too.But it's all worth it to see her slobbery little face in the morning :lol: :lol:

Tia used to "help" mummy open her eyes in the morning :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back