Sleeping Positions

Bella2

Reaction score
hey ladies, just after a bit of advice really - I'm sure I've read somewhere that you're not meant to sleep on your back when pregnant but I can't remember how far along this applies to and the reasoning behind it? I'll be 16 weeks on Sunday. Also it's still fairly comfortable to lie on my front in bed as we have a squishy memory foam mattress but I struggled to sunbathe on my front the other day as I was lying on a blanket on the grass and it was quite hard. Sounds daft but is it possible to do any damage to baby lying on your front? Might have to end up having a brown front and white back lol!! x x

Its recommended not to lie on your back as there is an artery that can get pressured with weight of baby on it. Naturally though, you adjust your position if this happens especially in sleep cos I worried when I woke up finding myself lying on my back. MW said not to worry about it too much, if you lie on back and start to feel dizzy, turn over. Its recommended to lie on your left hand side from now on - about 16 -20 weeks onwards as this is the best position for you and your baby. Prop yourself up with loads of pillows to get comfy. I have a "V" pillow which is fabby! Lyhing on left hand side is also a good position in labour too I hear so maybe give a go from now on and see how you go. I'm a tummy sleeper myself and cant do it anymore I really feel like I'm squashing baby now but if its still fine with you, it will do you and your baby no harm at all.

I sleep on my tummy too which is starting to get uncomfortable like I'm squashing the baby so I've been sleeping on my left side as I heard this was the best position in pregancy, something to do with blood flow to the placenta as well.

Hi Bella, when I attended antenatal yoga the instructor informed us that you should not lie on your back from 30 weeks, this is due to the weight of the baby at that stage. It has something to do with restricting the oxygen supply to the baby as its weight blocks something or other (sorry I cannot remember all the technical terms!).

It is recommended that we lie on our left handside as this increases oxygen supply to baby. I tend to keep waking up on my right side which again is not great as your left hand side is the most favourable.

I too used to sleep on my stomach but not been able to since about 18 weeks. CANNOT WAIT TO BE ABLE TO AGAIN!

i sleep on my side but a little bit more over if u know what i mean but i toss and turn all night x i cannot wait till had baby and get back on my tummy lol

thanks so much for your replies ladies - lots of helpful advice! Good to know I'm not the only worry who worries about sleeping positions! Will start sleeping on my left hand side and see how I get on - good excuse to get some extra pillows...bliss! x x

Have you tried getting a pregnancy pillow? I find it alot easier to get comfy with it now x x

Are those the long "body" pillows? Might have a look into getting one x x

Yeah hunny, i got mine from argos, think it was about £20, even though my bump isnt big enough to need supporting yet, it is helping me sleeping at night x x

I've got a long body pillow :) it's amazing!! Really good for putting your leg over it too or between your knees. And it's great support for bumpy :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back